Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2020, 12:04 PM

anyone have any insight on sizing? It seems whenever i follow a size chart, it always comes back to bite me, so i size up at least one, sometimes two. From what ive found with bike stuff, nothing is too big for me, somehow. i guess i have weird proportions.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
anyone have any insight on sizing? It seems whenever i follow a size chart, it always comes back to bite me, so i size up at least one, sometimes two. From what ive found with bike stuff, nothing is too big for me, somehow. i guess i have weird proportions.
I wear large in assos and medium in the black bibs. Similar fit.

I’ve had mine for a few years now I think and they are still in good condition. I’ve noticed some chunky things in the chamois in spots so I guess the foam is deteriorating inside. The stitching is still perfect on all three pairs.

I do notice now that I’m cranking out a lot more power and riding longer they are not as comfortable as my assos bibs..they don’t move as well with my body at high cadence and the chamois isn’t as comfortable in hot temps after hours on the bike.

For commuting or less than two or so hours I think they are perfectly fine still
Old 06-19-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Same here. I'm 6' and 183#. I do not like crazy compression. Assos t5 Mille XLG are an excellent fit for me. Several weeks ago I ordered the Black Bibs Plus in XL and they were way too tight everywhere for my taste and the straps felt like they would be too short even on the bike. The thigh band was super tight and I don't have big legs.

Regarding customer service, I never received a reply to the 2 emails I sent regarding sizing before ordering (two separate inquiries months apart) nor the email I sent regarding the return. But, my refund was processed promptly once they received the bibs.

For comparison, I paid $72 shipped for the Plus bibs from theblackbibs.com and $110/ea shipped for two pair of t5 Mille bibs from swissiconic.com. The Assos bibs win hands down in quality and value, in my opinion.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Same here. I'm 6' and 183#. I do not like crazy compression. Assos t5 Mille XLG are an excellent fit for me. Several weeks ago I ordered the Black Bibs Plus in XL and they were way too tight everywhere for my taste and the straps felt like they would be too short even on the bike. The thigh band was super tight and I don't have big legs.

Regarding customer service, I never received a reply to the 2 emails I sent regarding sizing before ordering (two separate inquiries months apart) nor the email I sent regarding the return. But, my refund was processed promptly once they received the bibs.

For comparison, I paid $72 shipped for the Plus bibs from theblackbibs.com and $110/ea shipped for two pair of t5 Mille bibs from swissiconic.com. The Assos bibs win hands down in quality and value, in my opinion.
Thanks that was useful. Checking out swissiconic now but I have no clue about anything assos. Do they make a tall version like blackbibs?
Old 06-19-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks that was useful. Checking out swissiconic now but I have no clue about anything assos. Do they make a tall version like blackbibs?
I don't think so. I've heard people say that some Assos models (maybe all) are on the shorter side. For me, I would not want my tan line any closer to my knee than it is.

Different models have racier cuts/fit so be aware of that. I actually wanted the ones with the "kuku penthouse" or whatever it is they call it, but I don't think that's a feature of the XLG t5 Mille I'm wearing. Still, they are much roomier than the XL Black Bibs were. There was simply no room in those.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I don't think so. I've heard people say that some Assos models (maybe all) are on the shorter side. For me, I would not want my tan line any closer to my knee than it is.

Different models have racier cuts/fit so be aware of that. I actually wanted the ones with the "kuku penthouse" or whatever it is they call it, but I don't think that's a feature of the XLG t5 Mille I'm wearing. Still, they are much roomier than the XL Black Bibs were. There was simply no room in those.
Thanks! I'll probably need to just go with the tall blackbibs. Some bibs are just too short on me as im 6'3" allll legs.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:44 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Thanks! I'll probably need to just go with the tall blackbibs. Some bibs are just too short on me as im 6'3" allll legs.
my assos for example are short on me, not a fan
Old 06-19-2020, 02:54 PM

Since you don’t know assos, I’m 6’ and about 155 to 165. The legs are long on the black inc. size medium. I have long inseam/legs.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:08 AM
aka RAEKWON

Got my bibs. Damn that was fast, I ordered on Friday I think and got them Monday.

1 short ride in them, I am liking them so far. They don't feel as premium as some of the rapha bibs but they certainly don't feel like crappy cheap bibs. The leg elastics are super nice and grippy. Pad seems nice, its a thicker harder pad so we will see how I like it. Pockets are nice, wish they were a bit bigger but they will do. For $90 shipped, I am very happy though, might get a second pair.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:02 PM

I just did a mellow 40-miler today with a pair of new blackbibs plus and these things are great. Chamois very comfortable, nice and padded. Lycra feels like good quality, a reasonable weight and fits like a charm for me in a size L (i'm 5'9").

$65 for a nice pair of everyday bib shorts, can't go wrong with that.

Thanks to all for the heads up on this brand via this thread, would have never known about it otherwise.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:16 PM

Has anyone tried the regular version to compare to the plus? I almost got them but ended up getting some Voler black bibs to try next. Twice the $...but still $100 less than the Assos I typically use for longer rides.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Has anyone tried the regular version to compare to the plus? I almost got them but ended up getting some Voler black bibs to try next. Twice the $...but still $100 less than the Assos I typically use for longer rides.
The significant difference between the regular ($40) version and the Plus version is the leg opening. The regular version has no gripper material and has a folded and sewn seam whereas the plus version has more of a gripper-style fabric at the leg opening and is seamless at that opening as well. They are significantly more comfortable in that regard and in my opinion well worth the extra $25. For $65 you get a high quality bib short that's on par IMO with significantly more expensive bibs. I regularly use them on rides in the 5+ hour territory with no issues whatsoever
Old 06-28-2020, 05:17 PM
aka RAEKWON

has anyone got both the plus version and the adventure?

I just got the adventure and I like em but want to pick another pair up and want to maybe try the plus to see how they compare, they have a different chamois and no extra pockets (which I don't need on most bibs, nice to have a pair with them but don't need every pair to have leg and rear pockets).
Old 06-28-2020, 05:25 PM

there was a post on here or maybe another thread that said the phrase "adult diaper" in describing the chamois. that was really funny, it's stuck in my head each time i think of how comfortable this chamois is (and it is thicker than the pads in all my other shorts).
Old 06-28-2020, 05:42 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
there was a post on here or maybe another thread that said the phrase "adult diaper" in describing the chamois. that was really funny, it's stuck in my head each time i think of how comfortable this chamois is (and it is thicker than the pads in all my other shorts).
ahah, yes it is thicker than some other bibs I have, I don't mind it (at least after 1 ride I liked it). I do hope that it softens up a little bit because its a bit stiff.