Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 10:38 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Re: foot strike for walking (not running)

So let's assume that walking is the place to start. When I walk I'm (like most people) a heel-striker. I would think that it make sense to stick with that for "exercise walking." Correct?
Old 08-06-2020, 05:51 AM

I think cyclists and triathletes are too gear oriented and over think things. Sometimes, you just have to go out and run. You will get sore that is guaranteed.

If you worry too much about foot strike and such, you just mess up your stride. Run a bit, get sore, then figure it out. I've never met anyone who hasn't started running and become a little sore. You just need to figure out if the soreness is a good soreness (muscles stiff) or a bad soreness like shin splits, etc. But you won't know until you get there.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 08-06-2020 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
Running is for those who do not own a bike
Old saying also do not stand when you can sit ,do not walk if you ride ,do not run if you can walk
Cheers
Don't walk when you can ride. Don't stand when you can sit down, don't sit when you can lie down.

For some(me) who are particularly un-enamored with riding right now, maybe start running again..when my 'other' issues get solved.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-06-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Bottom line: Go slow, don't compare to your "old" self, go slow, insert yoga/stretching, go slow, don't be tempted to increase distance quickly, go slow, find some good Hokas (shoes), and go slow.
This about sums it up.

Take a longer view of things - 12 to 24 months ramp up - to do it right. I was an avid(-ish) runner into my late 30s. Routinely ran 5 - 10 miles at around a 6 min / mile pace. Then I stopped completely. Picked it back up around 3 years ago (age 44). Started out with 2 to 3 mile runs at about a 9 min / mile pace and did no more than around 20 miles per month total for a good number of months (around 4 probably); walked if I needed to. The first couple months included much soreness post run, but I'm over that now. Getting down to 8 min / mile pace was relatively easy but was stuck there much longer than I thought I would be (about one year). Fast forward another 2 years and I'm down to high 6 min / low 7 min per mile average pace. I'm not sure I'll ever again see an average pace of low 6 min / mile, and I'm ok with that. Running is fun and a nice complement to cycling. Running is also harder. The key to getting back into it is a loooooooooong, slooooooooooow ramp.

Last edited by PQJ; 08-06-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I think cyclists and triathletes are too gear oriented and over think things. Sometimes, you just have to go out and run. You will get sore that is guaranteed.

If you worry too much about foot strike and such, you just mess up your stride. Run a bit, get sore, then figure it out. I've never met anyone who hasn't started running and become a little sore. You just need to figure out if the soreness is a good soreness (muscles stiff) or a bad soreness like shin splits, etc. But you won't know until you get there.
That's what I love about running. Put on shorts, lace up shoes, exit house.

And the trails always have something new and different to find. In my neck of the woods people have been leaving painted "thankfulness" rocks along the trails. Just a small rock or two that's been painted and has a quaint saying such as "Be Grateful" or "Love".

In turn, I've built a couple of cairns on big rocks along some singletrack. I can just imagine another runner, or mountain biker powering up a hill, and all of a sudden finding a foot high stack of rocks in the middle of the trail (on top of a large rock). A bit of whimsy for the day!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-06-2020, 09:21 AM
PezTech

Nobody can tell you... You'll know when you start
Old 08-06-2020, 09:49 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
...I really recommend Hokas. No one shoe works for everyone, but I like them a lot--very different from the shoes I was familiar with....
Hoka’s are my favorite running shoes. And I’ve tried quite a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I *never* get bored running on trails. Good trails help. Fortunately, I live next door to 1100 acres of gorgeous singletrack.

I tried the Hokas. They felt wonderful in the store, on their treadmill. In the wild, they felt like I had pillows tied to my feet. Granted, this was five years ago and Hoka has brought out a lot of lighter shoes since...
I run on the road. Just so I can do some epic trail runs. If you’re fortunate enough to have nice dirt or single track close by, it is awesome.

If you bought the max cushion Hoka’s, they are too mushy. My favorite trail shoes are Speedgoats. Try them. You will love them. My wife runs on the road with Cliftons and loves them as well.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:03 AM

I met a guy out on the trails mountain biking a couple weeks back who was running the trails and had stopped for water. We struck up a conversation and he was 72 years old.

No you are not too old. It couldn't hurt to consult a doctor though.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:58 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Well, I decided to go zero-drop, so on a whim I ordered some Altras (Escalante 2). We'll see how they work out. They weren't that expensive, so if they don't work out it's no big deal.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:14 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Well, I decided to go zero-drop, so on a whim I ordered some Altras (Escalante 2). We'll see how they work out. They weren't that expensive, so if they don't work out it's no big deal.
What size are you? I have a pair I can just send to you. Altar Superior 2.0.

I did not like zero drop.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:04 AM

Running again

Inspired by all these posts I zipped out for a run yesterday in the short time window I had between conference calls.

There is a good (8%+) grade not far away that is around 1/4 mile in length...ran over to its base as a warmup, did 5x repeats (walking back down) and jogged back once over.

While not as full-body-exhausting as a 3+ hour hammer ride or a solo-century ride it was quite time efficient (less than 40 min end-to-end). Furthermore, I saw much higher HRs achieved (albeit, over a much shorter time period) than most rides.

It's not something I'd do every day, but if time pressed (and your body allows it), running is a good way to mix it up.

m_b
Old 08-07-2020, 12:03 PM

Run in grass, dirt or a real sports track. Don't use concrete/asphalt.. at least not until you start getting your cardio, legs and posture in the right place.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:18 PM

I am not really a runner but this year at 51 I have been running the hills on my local 5 mile hike.

It is hard but I don’t get beat up like trying to run on the pavement. I think of it more as interval training. I walk mostly at a quick pace and do 30s-60s hard efforts and walk more.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Don't walk when you can ride. Don't stand when you can sit down, don't sit when you can lie down.

For some(me) who are particularly un-enamored with riding right now, maybe start running again..when my 'other' issues get solved.
I went snowshoeing in Colorado once. I remember getting up top of this great big hill and thinking to my self, why the hell don't I have skis.

I went snowshoeing once...
Old 08-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
What size are you? I have a pair I can just send to you. Altar Superior 2.0.

I did not like zero drop.
PM sent. Thanks.