Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Based on forum sponsor BikeTiresDirect, GP 5000 tubeless tires retail for $95 https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ad-tire?sg=500, Vittoria Corsa TLR $79 https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ad-tire?sg=500, Schwalbe Pro One TLE $81.

I know you can often find tires for cheaper (and maybe these will generally be available for less), but the MSRP of these Enve tires is right in line with its competitors.
Choosing tires made by OEMs whose primary focus is producing tires is more logical than choosing those from a firm that markets these as a sideline especially when the prime manufacturer’s rubber is priced comparably.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl View Post
Choosing tires made by OEMs whose primary focus is producing tires is more logical than choosing those from a firm that markets these as a sideline especially when the prime manufacturer’s rubber is priced comparably.
Not disagreeing, but seems there's a disproportionate amount of angst in this thread toward ENVE when they're following paths laid by plenty of others who have done this as a "sideline". Where's the angst towards Zipp? They introduced their tires many years ago and seem to be turning out a nice product and a pretty full line.

Perhaps my favorite tires of all are Specialized Turbo Cottons! They're fantastic and have the palmares to back it up. They'll stack up against ANY major tire company's best and I'd take them in a nano-second over Pirelli's bicycle offerings, though Pirelli fits the OE-primary-focus-tires description.

I had some Mavic tires years ago. Should I be embarrassed to say I liked 'em? Trek/Bontrager? Soma? Giant? Bianchi? Surly? .... all do tires too. I'm guessing ENVE has a higher R&D budget than the beloved tires Jan Heine puts out. That doesn't stop us from rushing to his door, despite even higher prices than ENVE. Seems ENVE has triggered something here, that these brands haven't and I'm not sure why everyone is viewing ENVEs entry into the tire market so critically and unfavorably.

Last edited by mistermo; 08-06-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I'm guessing ENVE has a higher R&D budget than the beloved tires Jan Heine puts out. That doesn't stop us from rushing to his door, despite even higher prices than ENVE. Seems ENVE has triggered something here, that these brands haven't and I'm not sure why everyone is viewing ENVEs entry into the tire market so critically and unfavorably.
His tires are made by Panaracer, one of the larger tire manufacturers in the world I think. So I'd guess there's plenty of expertise behind them.

You are right about ENVE triggering something. It's like Rapha. People hear the word and immediately have to chime in with something negative as if anyone actually cares whether or not they like some brand's products.

ENVE will sell tires and people will purchase them. What's the issue again? Isn't more choice a good thing?
Old 08-07-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Not disagreeing, but seems there's a disproportionate amount of angst in this thread toward ENVE when they're following paths laid by plenty of others who have done this as a "sideline". Where's the angst towards Zipp? They introduced their tires many years ago and seem to be turning out a nice product and a pretty full line.

Perhaps my favorite tires of all are Specialized Turbo Cottons! They're fantastic and have the palmares to back it up. They'll stack up against ANY major tire company's best and I'd take them in a nano-second over Pirelli's bicycle offerings, though Pirelli fits the OE-primary-focus-tires description.

I had some Mavic tires years ago. Should I be embarrassed to say I liked 'em? Trek/Bontrager? Soma? Giant? Bianchi? Surly? .... all do tires too. I'm guessing ENVE has a higher R&D budget than the beloved tires Jan Heine puts out. That doesn't stop us from rushing to his door, despite even higher prices than ENVE. Seems ENVE has triggered something here, that these brands haven't and I'm not sure why everyone is viewing ENVEs entry into the tire market so critically and unfavorably.
I thought I was the only reader of this thread that liked Mavic Tires?.....I have a pair, came on a set of All Road Pro's back in 2018, ordered from Mavic-you had choices of 30mm, 35 or 40's-i went right in the middle and they are great tires for fireroads and paved areas. Set up easy, no issues seating, etc., no flats, no pinches, they maintain 55 PSI for well over a week-so something I don't have to top off every ride is a plus in my book. My first foray into tubeless as well, am a fan.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:23 AM

Rene Herse's problem is that Panaracer make fantastic tyres under their own name and don't ask too much money for them. In time Panaracer will no doubt match and exceed everything RH makes under their own GravelKing banner.
At least Ultradynamico seem to be putting out something that Panaracer themselves truly don't, though their supply is a little too limited right now.

Mavic's problem is that their road tyres are all tread and bead. There's barely a carcass there. I'm familiar with a fleet of hire bikes that came equipped with Mavic wheels & tyres. Within the first 3 hires of each bike, the tyres had flatted and were thrown in the bin. If you've ever felt a Mavic tyre off the rim, they're flimsy - and not in a silky-smooth high-TPI way. They're garbage. The replacements for the hires were, of course, Conti GPs.

Specialized make truly great tyres and have been doing so since they launched the Turbo over 20 years ago. I'm indifferent towards their bikes but they produce a lot of seriously good accessory products.

Good luck to Enve with their tyres. Their existing customers will be stoked. Maybe they'll be great, maybe not.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
Very lightweight and reasonably priced.

Isn't Enve owned by Mavic? Maybe Mavic made the tires.

I was already thinking about a set of the Foundation 45 wheels.
Mavic? I didn't know that. Is Mavic still still owned by Salomon?
Old 08-07-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
You are right about ENVE triggering something. It's like Rapha. People hear the word and immediately have to chime in with something negative as if anyone actually cares whether or not they like some brand's products.

ENVE will sell tires and people will purchase them. What's the issue again? Isn't more choice a good thing?
The situation is nothing like Rapha. Love 'em or hate 'em, Rapha makes very high quality products and the complaints are with their marketing style.

Enve has very serious design and quality control problems, on a level that may seriously injure or kill people with catastrophic failures. Maybe their tires will not have design or manufacturing defects like their rims. But I'll let someone else volunteer to be a crash test dummy.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:59 PM

if that was truly the case they would be OOB already..
Old 08-07-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you are correct that they have triggered something, especially when their wheels have had compatibility and safety issues when paired with tires from certain major tire makers. Not exactly best for customer relations when after purchasing a set of high-end wheels one finds out they are not useable with their favorite rubber. Maybe they should focus more on their core business especially when some of their main products do not comply with industry (ISO) standards.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/prod...g#.Xy2rDihKjIU

Last edited by nickl; 08-07-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
The situation is nothing like Rapha. Love 'em or hate 'em, Rapha makes very high quality products and the complaints are with their marketing style.

Enve has very serious design and quality control problems, on a level that may seriously injure or kill people with catastrophic failures. Maybe their tires will not have design or manufacturing defects like their rims. But I'll let someone else volunteer to be a crash test dummy.
Where are you getting this aside from dubious internet lore?

My own experience has been the opposite and I suspect its more representative of the overwhelming bulk of users. I have had about 10 sets of enve wheels from edge 45s all the way through 4.5 ars.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post

My own experience has been the opposite and I suspect its more representative of the overwhelming bulk of users. I have had about 10 sets of enve wheels from edge 45s all the way through 4.5 ars.
Same. I had two sets of ENVE wheels and while they ultimately weren’t my thing, they didn’t ever let me down from a quality perspective. Good product IMHO.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:

I know of failures across the board nearly on every brand. Including 2 on older Enve wheelsets.. but also know of Roval, Zipp, Reynolds,Lightweight... etc etc

I dont think Enve's are any worse then anyone else....
Old 08-07-2020, 04:38 PM

That is sort of my point - anything can break, but a big part of the reason I continue to buy enve is how durable they have been and how little thought I need to put into them.

In the same time I have had all those enves, I have twice dented hed belgiums and it would be hard to find a more paceline/v-salon/etc approved rim than that...
Old 08-07-2020, 05:17 PM

I actualyl didn't know that part about ENVE being owned by a Chinese conglomerate...

Any changes to speak of in terms of their fork production/QC?
Old 08-07-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post

Quote:
The Enve problems are well known, not "dubious internet lore." The person posting immediately before you provided a link. I posted another link on page 2. You could use Google for the search 'enve catastrophic failure.'

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/prod...issues-warning

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/enve...cher-failures/

https://www.challengetires.com/news/...afety-bulletin

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news/enve-rims

http://cycling.fabiola.uk/2019/10/18...with-all-rims/

There is a separate issue with Enve rims:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S..._Rim_P6833610/

The takeaway on both problems is not only design and manufacturing defects but Enve's refusal to take responsibility or make changes. That tells me everything I need to know about purchasing their tires.

Enve has a solid history with many happy users of their wheels. It appears that something happened when Enve was sold in 2016. Staff are leaving, quality has gone down, etc. Enve and Mavic are both owned by Amer, so maybe Mavic's financial problems have weighed down the corporate group.

But hey, believe what you want to believe. Don't let anything dissuade you from testing the new tires for a while. Report back to us after 2500 miles. Please wear a helmet.