Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2020, 01:59 PM

Zero cleats are more durable.

This has not been discussed in this thread. But in my experience, Zero cleats always lasted a lot longer that X-series cleats. The retention clips in the Zero cleats are flat. In the X-series they are round. I always wore flat spots on the outside edges of the X-series clips, and this would result in my feet feeling loose and rocking on the pedals. I would feel like my feet weren’t flat on the pedals, and the outsides of my feet were lower (they were). This never happened with Zero cleats, and so long as I used kool covers to protect the aluminum surface of the Zero cleats and kept them clean and lubed, they’d work flawlessly.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:43 AM

Wahoo recently emailed me back that X series pedals/cleats should be back in stock in 4-6 weeks.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 06-16-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Wahoo recently emailed me back that X series pedals/cleats should be back in stock in 4-6 weeks.
Well.. they've shorted the anticipated time to availability in their emails anyway.. I was told 8 weeks (but that was back in Mid-March )..
Old 06-16-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
So ... the X series pedals are in fact not being discontinued, as has been widely reported? Any word on whether the both the X/1 (Ti) and the X/2 (Stainless Steel) will be available?
Old 06-16-2020, 04:29 PM

What about the Frogs? Will at least cleats be available? I have one brand new set of cleats and a NOS set of stainless steel pedals. Hmm, if people are still getting $250+ for the pedals, maybe I should sell them...LOL
Old 06-17-2020, 03:19 PM

My buddy that works at a LBS texted me today to tell me X-series cleats are in. So they received new stock. Just one isolated data point I know, but thought I’d share.

Last edited by zero85ZEN; 06-17-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
So ... the X series pedals are in fact not being discontinued, as has been widely reported? Any word on whether the both the X/1 (Ti) and the X/2 (Stainless Steel) will be available?
I asked about what their future plans were with them, and they "couldn't say" what their future plans were, but seems for now they are still in the product lineup. You can email them and ask, as the more feedback they receive the more they have to act on. At 195# I'm not an X1 candidate so if the X2 sticks around that is good enough for me.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
sorry, I could have been more explicit. My timing/email was specific to a cleats query, not pedals. I'd be surprised if they bring back the pedals into the lineup, but as a matter of principle, they should continue to provide the consumable cleat half of the equation for at least a year or so (IMO).
Old 06-25-2020, 02:12 PM

Happy to read that these aren't being discontinued as I need some pedals for a newly acquired road bike.

Any idea why are these $750?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Speedpl...ss!94070!US!-1
Old 06-26-2020, 06:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
Happy to read that these aren't being discontinued as I need some pedals for a newly acquired road bike.

This guy it nutz..look at some others..Cleats for $199...
https://www.ebay.com/sch/uventure/m....p2047675.l2562
Old 06-26-2020, 06:50 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post

Those have the Vibranium spindles.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Those have the Vibranium spindles.
Right next to Unobtanium on the periodic table of elements?
Old 08-07-2020, 05:50 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Just checked excelsports. Nothing. No X pedals, no x cleats.

Argh
Old 08-07-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Just checked excelsports. Nothing. No X pedals, no x cleats.

Argh
Something has fallen through the cracks on this one. In mid March I was told that they would be back and available in 6-8 weeks. In early June in a followup, I was told that they were near to being available but they couldn't be precise.. And now it's another 2 months later.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Something has fallen through the cracks on this one. In mid March I was told that they would be back and available in 6-8 weeks. In early June in a followup, I was told that they were near to being available but they couldn't be precise.. And now it's another 2 months later.
In addition to the lack of X-series pedals cleats, there has also been a shortage of Zero series pedals and cleats, plus the disappearance of of a variety of accessories, such sole protector plates, extender plates, and other spare parts. From the outside looking in, it seems as if there hasn't been any production of Speedplay products for 1/2 a year or more, and they've simply been selling existing stocks.

If I were to guess, I'd guess that Wahoo (the new owners) decided to change manufacturing from US based (as it was under original ownership) and send it off-shore (as Wahoo's other products are), but that something has gone wrong in the transition. The current pandemic certainly can't help with such an effort, but based on how long it's been since the problems began becoming visible, it would appear that something got botched even before then.

When Wahoo bought Speedplay, a lot of people were guessing that they intended to produce a power meter pedal. But based on their performance in the last 10 months of owning Speedplay, I'm not only doubting we'll see a power meter pedal anytime soon, but I'm wondering if we'll see any pedal products being produced.