Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Dangerous out there as far as wildlife early in the morning. I've almost T-boned two different deer at high speed the last week.
I see 3x as many rattlesnakes on the trail around dawn compared to my evening rides.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:35 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post

My big question is for wet weather riders - how do you do it? I don't mind getting caught in rain but will avoid starting a ride if it is raining.
good rain gear... stuff that fits tight and offers the right amount of ventilation. riding in the rain isnt that uncomfortable to me if ive got some good tights and booties that are easy to put on and just the right amount of jacket over a tight fitting jersey. loose cut jerseys are the death of rain riding for me.. if i can feel wet material sticking and pulling off my body as i pedal and move around on the bike i am not happy

just me, tho
Old 08-04-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
good rain gear... stuff that fits tight and offers the right amount of ventilation. riding in the rain isnt that uncomfortable to me if ive got some good tights and booties that are easy to put on and just the right amount of jacket over a tight fitting jersey. loose cut jerseys are the death of rain riding for me.. if i can feel wet material sticking and pulling off my body as i pedal and move around on the bike i am not happy

just me, tho
all true. PNW rider and I know rain. My commute to work (when it was happening) was wet 50% of the time, so this is the key.

And yes, I have laid back in bed and passed on rides before - it happens...
Old 08-04-2020, 12:31 PM

Rapha has their 250 dollar rain coat on sale for !25 last week I bought one
Cold is easy layer ..rain is more difficult
I go to bed at midnight and wake up at 5am walk and feed dog and on the road by 6am over Golden Gate Bridge by 6:30 only a couple of other riders there most days it An be extremely foggy and wet ,I find it an amazingly beautiful time of day
I have two small cups of coffee and a date I take one water bottle with maple syrup mix and another small rapha coffee mug that fits in a water bottle cage along with half a cliff bar ,I eat the cliff bar and drink the coffee at the half way point of my ride having a dedicated rain bike for winter is what I am working on now all I have do to bianchi is add fenders .
Old 08-04-2020, 12:57 PM

In bed by 9ish, after I get my two young children to sleep and I read a book (or doomscroll Twitter for a bit).

Up at 5, coffee plus a handful of granola or cereal to take the hunger pangs off, then kitted up and out the door by 5:30.

I'll do 45-75 minute workouts on fairly established and predictable routes in town. Sometimes it's just laps over on the University of Alabama campus, where I've got a loop that requires no stops and is well lighted.

These days, my mornings are more flexible but I hate getting home with the girls preventing my wife from enjoying some coffee in peace, so I still start fairly early.