Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2020, 12:04 AM

Crane bells - swank

Wanted something more elegant than the otherwise very nice Spurcycle bell. Found it in Crane Bell, a Japanese company that's been around awhile. For this bike, I put on their polished copper bell. Got a brass one too (for another bike), might switch it to here later. But for now, the copper looks so cool. The craftsmanship is amazing, copper polished finish perfect, design so simple, and the bell itself has a nice ring to it. Plenty loud. Little details like a rubber-coated band made installation a breeze (and won't mar the bar finish), esp. when positioned like I have it. Super easy to flick the bell when hands on top of bars, just reach over with the thumb. Length of band fits perfectly around the fat Pro Vibe 7s 31.8 bar, with a couple mm to spare.

https://www.cranebellco.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bell1.jpg (58.2 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg bell2.jpg (59.2 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by 54ny77; 06-27-2020 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:12 AM

Yep, gotta black version and it’s lovely. Has a lovely ring and is a good price. I don’t use it all that often, but when I do need to, it’s very useful.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:20 AM
That guy..

Sound wise.
On par with spurcycle?
Looking to picked up a bell or two.

I used to use their full sized bell on my commuter. Had people get mad at me before for being too loud with the "ding ding's"

Crane bells are great. Haha
Old 06-27-2020, 08:30 AM

I don't have a Spurcycle to compare to but assuredly, the Crane is loud. It's a crisp long ring. The "hammer" has a firm spring action, and giving it two flicks spaced apart by a second or so will surely get the attention of all but someone with headphones on.

I picked up mine through Amazon (out of convenience) but after deciding to poke around some more online for sources, I found that Universal Cycles up in Portland carries 'em too. Just ordered an all-Chrome version (chrome bell and hammer).
Old 06-27-2020, 08:53 AM

I've used all the bells. That small Crane one if fine. For me, it does not beat the Spurcycle in form or function.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:23 AM

The Crane Bell Co. (not just bikes) has history back to the mid 1800's. I can't ever get used to using a bell but when I tour I always do. Totally subjective but I find the tone more appealing than the Spurcycle which is of course an excellent product. YMMV
Old 06-27-2020, 09:29 AM

I had the Crane E-Ne bell on my commuter for a long while, it's a great bell.
The flat stamped piece of metal that makes up the striker/lever is not something you want to accidentally catch with your hand or finger, so be careful of placement.
The Spurcycle with its bent wire lever feels safer and less 'intrusive' in that respect.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:35 AM

I've got both on bikes right now. The volume is about the same. The Spurcycle is higher pitch and has longer sustain. The Crane has a little more if a clunky sound, which when on crowded paths is more in line with what people expect a bike bell to sound like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
Sound wise.
On par with spurcycle?
Looking to picked up a bell or two.

I used to use their full sized bell on my commuter. Had people get mad at me before for being too loud with the "ding ding's"

Crane bells are great. Haha
Old 06-27-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimajol View Post
I've got both on bikes right now. The volume is about the same. The Spurcycle is higher pitch and has longer sustain. The Crane has a little more if a clunky sound, which when on crowded paths is more in line with what people expect a bike bell to sound like.
This^

When I ride with a Spurcycle I always feel the need to stop it from ring the sustain is so long. Good,bad,otherwise it goes an goes...
Old 06-27-2020, 10:07 AM
all slow no go

Audio clips of both in this article: https://cyclingtips.com/2020/05/cran...nd-comparison/
Old 06-27-2020, 10:13 AM

Great link.

Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
Audio clips of both in this article: https://cyclingtips.com/2020/05/cran...nd-comparison/
Old 06-27-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimajol View Post
The Crane has a little more if a clunky sound, which when on crowded paths is more in line with what people expect a bike bell to sound like.
This is a valid point. IME people react more instantly to the Crane than the Spurcycle (which whilst charming, has an almost too-musical sound).
Old 06-27-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
This is a valid point. IME people react more instantly to the Crane than the Spurcycle (which whilst charming, has an almost too-musical sound).
My wife hates my spurcycle. She insists on saying "on your left," when we ride a path together, even though I always ding my bell. She thinks people don't register it as a cyclist.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
This^

When I ride with a Spurcycle I always feel the need to stop it from ring the sustain is so long. Good,bad,otherwise it goes an goes...
I always wonder what it sounds like to pedestrians with the doppler effect