Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
24" bikes always get outgrown pretty quickly, so I often see good low use bikes locally around me.
I made the decision to just move my daughter from the 20" Cleary to the 26" Woom and am glad for it.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:29 PM

The big-name companies also make good kids bikes. Cannondale, Scott, Marin, Trek etc. in a wide price range.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I can’t imagine my 10yo on a 700 wheel bike. The 24” fits like a glove and has room to grow with the flippable stem.

It came with schwalbe fast rolling knobby tires that would work great for cyclocross.
The geometry on HUP framesets has a slightly shorter top tube from what I understand and it works well with 700c wheels. I've used an HUP in the past and it was well worth the cost IMO to be able to use "adult sized" wheels. These frames may not be for most kids, especially those not looking to get into serious racing, but there is definitely a market for them!
Old 02-15-2024, 02:42 PM

I had good luck finding older XS or XXS Women's bikes for my kids as soon as they could manage them before they were properly adult sized. Better components than typical kids' bikes.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:48 PM

islabikes were nice.. my daughter had one.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
https://reverebikes.com/products/lynx-24

Simple, quality, rim brake bike. If you like it, send a pm and I can send you a new one for $280 and we split shipping.

I believe I also have some 24” geared Specialized bikes on discount—will check for you later today.
Thank you for the info, I think we are leaning towards a 'gravel' type bike, road-ish but with bigger clearances. Which Specialized bike might be available?

Thanks again,

-Jeff
Old 02-15-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
We did well with Prevelo. Friends of ours have liked Woom. I think Prevelo looks cooler. Once my son grew a bit, we got a size XXS REI mountain bike. It’s not as versatile as the Prevelo all-arounder but works for his current interests.
Thanks, I'll check those out.

-Jeff
Old 02-15-2024, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
Are you looking for a mountain bike, or a road bike? I have my sons' old 24" Felt F24 with Microshift/Shimano 2x8
Thanks, that looks like a candidate. I'll DM you.

-Jeff
Old 02-15-2024, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Is this for trail use? If so, our local NICA group has a lot of kids on Specilized Riprocks, they are $700 or thereabouts, but seem like they work well for a bunch of kids. Pretty sure every major manufacturer has a similar spec bike available. 24" bikes always get outgrown pretty quickly, so I often see good low use bikes locally around me.
I did look at the Specialized offerings, it looks like we're looking for a 'gravel' type setup though. Thanks,

-Jeff
Old 02-16-2024, 03:37 AM

Try and find a used Isla on fb marketplace. As previously mentioned, they exited the US market about 5 years ago and closed shop last year. My kids were on their bikes from the little tiny ones, and they both (9 and 10 yo) have the 24" bikes now. They are very lightweight for their size which is important for kids.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:44 AM

We have been very happy with our three Woom bikes. They are insanely lightweight compared to most kids bikes (~18lbs in 24"), and are reasonably good components for the price. Good service when needed as well. They are effectively a flat bar gravel bike in style. Perfectly reasonable for riding mixed road and pavement.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:56 AM

CL used Trek kids' bike. Not worth spending $ on a temporary bike. Wait til they're full-sized to splash out.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
Depends on what you're going for (ride around the block or actual trail riding/racing). Woom makes great bikes but fairly expensive. Islabikes are also exceptional if you can find them (pulled out of the US market in 2018?) and that's what my kids rode for 14" and 20".

If at all possible check the local used markets (Craigslist, FB marketplace, kids bike clubs/teams, etc.) especially if you want quality on a budget.

My son has a pair of 24" bikes. Giant TCX Jr (8 speed dropbar brifters Cyclocross with mechanical disks, bought used from a kids CX team) and Clearly Scout (10 speed, air fork, hydraulic discs, and on sale for $531 now and that's how I bought it). But he rides HARD and agressive and that setup would be overkill for many kids.

https://www.clearybikes.com/products...mountain-bike/

The biggest thing I'd be concerned about with a self assemble is getting the geometry right (especially crank length) as most components just aren't shaped for someone about four feet tall.
We have 2 Clearys in the garage, great kids bikes.

I had the same thought. Finding good kids-sized components might be tedious.

I'm wondering: except for the wheels/tubes/tires, bars and cranks are there any other parts (BB?) that will be specific to the 24" bike?
Old 02-17-2024, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
Try and find a used Isla on fb marketplace. As previously mentioned, they exited the US market about 5 years ago and closed shop last year. My kids were on their bikes from the little tiny ones, and they both (9 and 10 yo) have the 24" bikes now. They are very lightweight for their size which is important for kids.
The Isla bikes look good. I can't seem to find any 24" for sale in the US, but I'll keep my eye out for sure.

-Jeff