View Poll Results: Who's right?
Hambini 20 46.51%
Kerin (Zero Friction Cycling) 2 4.65%
Both 3 6.98%
Neither 18 41.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2024, 09:21 PM

Hambini vs Kerin (ZFC)

Critique on the methods and results of Zero Friction Cycling. Good points made perhaps, rank conjecture on motivations, and unsatisfying conclusions.
https://www.hambini.com/the-murky-wo...igged-results/

Last edited by Carbonita; 09-18-2024 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2024, 10:14 PM
Sunshine

Your poll needs a 5th option.
Old 09-18-2024, 10:49 PM

Eh don't care it's just a bicycle.
Old 09-19-2024, 01:58 AM

I like Hambini but he is equal parts serious technical advisor and crap talking loon. I think he makes some good points but some of them seem to be critique for its own sake. Kerin’s set up is obviously pretty garbage but that doesn’t mean its results are totally useless.

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 09-19-2024 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-19-2024, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Your poll needs a 5th option.
DGAF?

I'd hit that.
Old 09-19-2024, 06:15 AM

Read through the linked Hambini blog post. I am not typically a big fan of Hambini. I have had my doubts about ZFC and the post makes me really wonder. A little disappointing as we could use a reliable independent resource in this space.
Old 09-19-2024, 06:34 AM

I think Hambini has a point. The blog post is lacking his usual bombast.

That said, I don't care about the performance benefits of waxed chains. I wax because chains with liquid lube leave marks on things and are generally hard to clean and gross. Waxed chains wear as well or better and are clean. Enough for me.
Old 09-19-2024, 06:51 AM

I switched from Rock-n-Roll Gold to wax several years ago, and have indeed noticed a lower wear rate. That said, I do agree with Hambini that it would be nice if there was a way to shift the rear derailleur up and down the cassette in a repeatable way during testing. What I noticed with my last SRAM chain was that while "elongation" was not an issue, it started not shifting as crisply after about 6,000 miles so I replaced it.

But as glepore stated, another huge benefit of wax for me is the cleanliness of the drivetrain (and the silence as well).
Old 09-19-2024, 07:09 AM

Well. Hambini, whatever you think of him, seems to have his receipts in order. ZFC appears to have setup a very ad-hoc testing arrangement. FWIW, I wax my chain really to have a cleaner bike. Most likely the parts will last longer as well. I could really not care less about any watts saved.

Tim
Old 09-19-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Will View Post
Read through the linked Hambini blog post. I am not typically a big fan of Hambini. I have had my doubts about ZFC and the post makes me really wonder. A little disappointing as we could use a reliable independent resource in this space.
Agreed. The problem with reliable independent resources is that everyone needs to monetize. The cycling media used to provide this role to some degree or another, but that ship seems to have sailed. The world has sort of proven that it's unbelievably hard to monetize information, and way easier to monetize selling a product. Using reliable info to differentiate your selling prop is great, and it's what we tried to do at November, but it doesn't always work. The number of emails I've gotten over the years that go something like "hey thanks for the great info, I used it to decide to buy product x from company y" still grinds my (un-waxed or otherwise lubed) gears.

Notable also that Hambini doesn't say what to do as far as chain prep, he just says not to trust ZFC. Which is typical of his unpalatable and usually offensive schtick.

That said I've gone to waxing as it's convenient enough and wildly cleaner.
Old 09-19-2024, 08:15 AM

Hambini definitely was able to poke holes in zfc methods...but I can say I am approaching 7000 miles on an ultegra chain that has been waxed since day 1 of use and prior to that would get 1500-1800 from a well lubed ultegra chain..I am guilty of cross chaining both ways.
Old 09-19-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Well. Hambini, whatever you think of him, seems to have his receipts in order. ZFC appears to have setup a very ad-hoc testing arrangement. FWIW, I wax my chain really to have a cleaner bike. Most likely the parts will last longer as well. I could really not care less about any watts saved.

Tim
Same. I started when I started riding gravel. Every ride, no matter how dry, required a good cleaning of the drivetrain. That got old. With wax, just quickly wipe it off and if I forget, it's still fine. I'm too old and slow to care about saving an eighth of a watt, but clean thing last longer and my chain was anything but clean with wet lube.
Old 09-19-2024, 10:10 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I think Hambini has a point. The blog post is lacking his usual bombast.
He toned down quite a bit recently. Not that i mind if someone is calling out dirtbags, cheats and liars.
His criticism of Kerin looks sound to me.
Old 09-19-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
Hambini definitely was able to poke holes in zfc methods...but I can say I am approaching 7000 miles on an ultegra chain that has been waxed since day 1 of use and prior to that would get 1500-1800 from a well lubed ultegra chain..I am guilty of cross chaining both ways.
Getting only 2000 miles from a chain would tend to indicate something else being wrong...
Old 09-19-2024, 12:16 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Getting only 2000 miles from a chain would tend to indicate something else being wrong...
Seing that chain waxing focussed many a rider for the first time to invest a good amount of effort in regular, short-intervalled maintenance, i can't help but assume a classic grease-lubed chain getting the same kind of regular (and correct*) attention would last as long and run as smooth

*) Jobst Brandt, iirc, wrote lengthy articles on usenet about the way in which a well-meant regular maintenance may shorten the life-span of a bicycle chain considerably

Wax is used in other technical applications, but it is limited to special areas, where grease can not be used, as in food processing, where the environment is rich on small particles like dust or fluff from textile processing, so the stickiness of grease creates a problem, or where regular maintenance is not possible (lifelong lubrication), this is for chains running under low load and other restrictions, like max temperature lower than 60°C.
The vast majority of chains running in all kind of machines simply run greased, and there are good reasons for that.

I get the wish for a clean and silent drivetrain on a bicycle may be worth the increased effort and cost for some; i doubt you get better technical performance (as in: lower friction).

Last edited by martl; 09-19-2024 at 12:23 PM.