Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2019, 05:38 PM

at home i use a $25 four pot coffee machine. What makes it work is Kenyan AA coffee beans. I also have an italian espresso pot i use on the stove. If I go out I have a favorite coffee bar I pass on my rides that makes a great Cortado.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:46 AM

A friend gave my a pack of really good coffee; too bad it's a light roast, which makes it really hard to work with, when it comes to espresso

Suggestions on how else I could brew this? Adjust the grind more coarse than usual?
Old 04-28-2019, 12:13 PM

I am a recent convert to Keurig. My coffee maker died and my burr grinder was acting up so I took it as a sign from heaven that it was time to try Keurig. I figured I'd buy it at COSTCO so if I didn't like it I could return it with no problem. So far I find COSTCO Northwoods Bold, Peet's Major Dickason, and Starbucks Pike Place pods acceptable. I love how fast I can get my first cup (even allowing for the machine to warm up) and my second cup is almost instantaneous. People who are really in a hurry can set the timer to start the warm-up cycle just before they get up. I also like being able to have one blend first and a different one for the next cup. I haven't tried using it for espresso and other "trick" brews.

The machine came with a reusable pod that I can fill with whatever custom grind I might choose. Have any of you tried that? It seems like too much trouble to me compared to the ease of regular pods.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 04-28-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:13 PM

Actually better to tighten the grind and let the shot go slowly. I’ve had some beautiful shots from Ethiopian coffees that were roasted light as they should be. Notes of blueberry pie. Maybe try and drag the shot time out to 50 seconds. Can bring those fruit and floral notes out.

Jon
Old 04-30-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
Actually better to tighten the grind and let the shot go slowly. I’ve had some beautiful shots from Ethiopian coffees that were roasted light as they should be. Notes of blueberry pie. Maybe try and drag the shot time out to 50 seconds. Can bring those fruit and floral notes out.

Jon

thanks for the suggestion; it def did mellow out the coffee

there seems to be a fine line between too acidic and brightness
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 AM
PegoNagos

I have been sticking with Central American beans with Guatemala being my favorite. I might need to try some African beans for my next roasting batch...
Old 05-02-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I am a recent convert to Keurig. My coffee maker died and my burr grinder was acting up so I took it as a sign from heaven that it was time to try Keurig. I figured I'd buy it at COSTCO so if I didn't like it I could return it with no problem. So far I find COSTCO Northwoods Bold, Peet's Major Dickason, and Starbucks Pike Place pods acceptable. I love how fast I can get my first cup (even allowing for the machine to warm up) and my second cup is almost instantaneous. People who are really in a hurry can set the timer to start the warm-up cycle just before they get up. I also like being able to have one blend first and a different one for the next cup. I haven't tried using it for espresso and other "trick" brews.

The machine came with a reusable pod that I can fill with whatever custom grind I might choose. Have any of you tried that? It seems like too much trouble to me compared to the ease of regular pods.
Please do try the reusable pod since K-Cups are an environmental catastrophe.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
please do try the reusable pod since k-cups are an environmental catastrophe.
+1
Old 05-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Randomhead

we use compostable k-cups. Okay, I don't, but everyone else in the household does. I use an aeropress. The only problem with compostable k-cups is that they need to go to an industrial composting place because backyard compost piles don't get hot enough. Learned that lesson the hard way with compostable compost bags.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:28 AM

I got a 30 ounce chemex a few weeks ago and have been running panama geisha through it. Love the coffee and my local roaster has a stock of it that is fairly reasonably priced. Americas for the chemex and africans for the drip maker.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:52 AM

Using a V60 mostly for daily drop coffee. I have a Breville Infuser espresso machine which is slightly above entry level, but hard to dial in with my Baratza Encore grinder. It depends on the beans. Looking to upgrade down the road but at the moment want to spend that money on bikes instead haha.

Does anyone home roast?
My friend made me a flour sifter/heat gun roaster which he gifted to me after he upgraded to a proper micro test batch roaster.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 AM

If you could get any ONE home countertop setup available, what would you get? Money no object, but should be available for purchase online and fit on your countertop...

like the 'if you could get only one bike' discussion...
Old 06-04-2019, 12:49 PM

btwn an Eureka Mignon Specialita (55 mm burrs, rather fast grinding speed) vs Eureka Club E (60 mm burrs, slow grinding speed), which would you pick?

I also don't see a lot of reviews for the latter. Thoughts?

THe former would be purchased from the EU and cost ~$475 all said and done; latter would be about $100 more

Last edited by echappist; 06-04-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:55 PM

Anyone here with a nice espresso setup but only (or mostly) drinking decaf??

High BP runs in my family, and despite being in good shape, training 10-15 hours per week swim/bike/run, my BP was creeping up around 145 / 90.

I've cut out caffeine and that has lowered it a bit. Interested in getting a nice setup again, but not sure what the quality is like of decaf beans??

Thx!
Old 06-04-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Anyone here with a nice espresso setup but only (or mostly) drinking decaf??

High BP runs in my family, and despite being in good shape, training 10-15 hours per week swim/bike/run, my BP was creeping up around 145 / 90.

I've cut out caffeine and that has lowered it a bit. Interested in getting a nice setup again, but not sure what the quality is like of decaf beans??

Thx!
they are mostly hit or miss

seek out places that allow you to buy by the ounce (or at least by the quarter pound). That's the only way to guarantee freshness. Where are you located? I have suggestions if you live in the mid-Atlantics.

Personally need to find another shop that sells decaf by the ounce, as I'll be moving

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso