Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
I recommend going with a builder you mesh with and trust their geo recommendations. Each builder has their own ideas on overall geo and may not want to go too far outside of that. Obviously, individual bikes will very but i'm sure each builder has an overall geometry design concept. And they likely know what works. I fully trusted my builder to give me what I wanted and my bike rips!

I really need some new pix of this thing!

This! You need to align with the builder and if you don’t the experience/bike may not be to your liking, despite time and $$$ invested. I have a gravel bike with the same name on the down tube as the above and it rips. Not great on tarmac but I specifically said I wouldn’t be using it much for this. I couldn’t be happier. If you aren’t exactly sure what you want maybe consider a Lynskey, No22, Litespeed, or Moots (there are probably other good options I’m missing with ready built standard geo frames that can be had relatively quickly).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2022, 10:09 AM

Check out Dean. I spoke to them when sorting bikes and (then) they were reasonable on custom for delivery time, cost and specs.
Old 09-12-2022, 01:22 PM

You should also seek out Jim Kish (Kish Fabrications) - wonderful welder who taught many of today’s current welders at the United Bicycle Institute.

Easy to work with and good prices, too. If you do a search on this forum, there are a number of folks who have Kish bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2022, 01:51 PM

You are not to go wrong with a Built. I own two because I think they are the best titanium bikes made. The process is expeditious and easy. There are other builders but I never heard of a Built owner being disappointed with their bike or the process. I think Brad consistently does a great job.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
I recommend going with a builder you mesh with and trust their geo recommendations. Each builder has their own ideas on overall geo and may not want to go too far outside of that. Obviously, individual bikes will very but i'm sure each builder has an overall geometry design concept. And they likely know what works. I fully trusted my builder to give me what I wanted and my bike rips!

I really need some new pix of this thing!
That is a very nicely proportioned bike. Well done.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:13 AM

Going to the Philly Bike Show is a great idea—there will probably be more gravel bikes on display than road bikes. Every builder has their own take on fabrication and geometry and it’s worth getting to understand the builder’s philosophy before making a decision. My personal preference would be to wait for a Firefly (le plaisir est dans l’attente and all that), but I understand your reluctance given the long wait. Of the three builders you mentioned, my ranking would be Bingham, Seven, DeSalvo. But I do think that it’s worth looking at Mosaic and No. 22, and I don’t think anyone has mentioned Engin. Lots of great choices out there.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
You are not to go wrong with a Built. I own two because I think they are the best titanium bikes made. The process is expeditious and easy. There are other builders but I never heard of a Built owner being disappointed with their bike or the process. I think Brad consistently does a great job.
Agree.

Instagram
Old 09-13-2022, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Going to the Philly show is a great idea for someone looking to decide on a builder. Good opportunity to walk around and see what might catch your eye or have a chat with a potential builder.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason5906 View Post
That's good to hear. There has been a lot of positive feedback for him and his work in this post. I'm hoping they email me back this week and hopefully the leadtime isn't too crazy. Glad you're enjoying your builds!
Brad has been busy with moving all his equipment to a new shop so that is most likely contributing to the delay in getting back to you. I also highly recommend Bingham.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:04 PM

Punch the ticket with Brad. Beyond his skill as a welder, which I feel is beyond great, the process, dropout design and materials are spot on. The precision with which he does flat mount alignment and final frame alignment is outstanding.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:15 PM

A few Canadian builders you may want to consider

Chris Dekerf - his lead time is about a year www.dekerf.com If his ti is as good as his steel you would not be disappointed.

T- Lab - https://t-lab-bikes.com/en-ca/bikes/x3 - according to their website - lead time is about 12 weeks

Naked - https://www.nakedbicycles.com/gravel - lead time is about 10 months - only ever heard good things about the builder and is bikes.

When you take into consideration the exchange rate, they are very well priced.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:55 PM
I need you cool.

Just throwing Davidson into the mix.....he's been doing it forever.

I too am weighing options for a new bike and have narrowed to Pursuit, Bingham, Hampsten and Davidson...choices choice....sigh. First world problems.

Last edited by Ozz; 09-15-2022 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
A few Canadian builders you may want to consider

Chris Dekerf - his lead time is about a year www.dekerf.com If his ti is as good as his steel you would not be disappointed.

T- Lab - https://t-lab-bikes.com/en-ca/bikes/x3 - according to their website - lead time is about 12 weeks

Naked - https://www.nakedbicycles.com/gravel - lead time is about 10 months - only ever heard good things about the builder and is bikes.

When you take into consideration the exchange rate, they are very well priced.
I bought a T-Lab X3 late last year and took delivery early this year. The frame was ready earlier, but the parts were not. I really enjoy this bike both on and off road, and it does no wrong. The build process was good, but because I was very particular it sometimes got a bit tense. However I would recommend their bikes every time.

True North is another excellent Canadian Ti builder. Hugh Black goes way back, and built the Cervelo Renaissance frames.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Punch the ticket with Brad. Beyond his skill as a welder, which I feel is beyond great, the process, dropout design and materials are spot on. The precision with which he does flat mount alignment and final frame alignment is outstanding.
His dropout design is a work of art. Didn’t you hire him at Moots?
Old 09-15-2022, 06:21 PM

The most important part is a proper fit. I have used Smiley in DC for several builds, taking into account injuries etc... K Bedford has done 2 builds based upon Smiley's fittings. I have seen other bikes built around his fittings - The fit is by far the most important concern for something you will use often. Oh, KB does Ti too, but i just have tig steel. Proper care and a steel bike will last forever.

Tags
custom, gravel bike, titanium