Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 03:28 PM

Snip:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Adam, if I were you I would leave those two Pegs alone in a dark room with soft music playing (or maybe some Italian opera) and seeing if by morning there's a nice little baby Responsorium.
Post of the day! Although I'd think the gestation period for a hand-built, Italian bike would be longer...

Greg
Old 04-17-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
Adam,
Thanks. I think I see it now. Is the one with the green cages a Big Leg Emma and the other an Mxxxxxo? I never owned one but always liked the Big Leg Emma.

My approach to fit/sizing is partly objective, but also partly just plain subjective. My wife and I only ride road (with a bit of gravel) so we only have road bikes - she has 2 and I have 4. I get 4 dimensions for the contact points and try to match them on all the bikes: setback, tip of saddle to ctr bars at top, ctr BB to top/ctr saddle, and drop from top of saddle to top of bars. It's a bit subjective how I get the numbers I use but that has mostly do do with comfort.

Dave
Thanks Dave! The one with the Bigger stays is a Round. It is a stainless Xcr frame with Big Leg Emma style chainstays. The Mxxxxxo was a special order to get the Texas Flood scheme afaik. It's the only one I have seen and although they have the same painted graphics and base color the base coat is still unique to each frame.

The base coat actually looks like it was brushed on and so the washed look of it is unique to each frameset. I like it quite a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2024, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Snip:Post of the day! Although I'd think the gestation period for a hand-built, Italian bike would be longer...

Greg
I had a good chuckle

Old 04-17-2024, 08:14 PM

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/a...2030%20seconds.

Try that for giggles, I am 46 and have big big quads and calves, big big glutes and little other muscles when I know my lower back gets too stiff I can't stand up straight and if I tried to hold static weight in front of me it feels like my back "goes out". You should feel a big very tight, slightly painful stretch across your whole butt from the lower back to high hammy.

I have a disease that I have no business indulging in called, "weight weeniism" and as being afflicted with such I size down wherever possible.

Also, short cranks are life to my friends further up in the thread
Old 04-17-2024, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Snip:Post of the day! Although I'd think the gestation period for a hand-built, Italian bike would be longer...

Greg
The gestation for mine was close to 4 years.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
Dan,

Related to your C-spine issue, I had total hip replacement about 7 weeks ago. You possibly remember. The right hip had severe arthritis in it and I could no longer ride, but now, with the new hip, I can ride no problem.

That's not my issue now though. Due to some bad luck, I fell during the night last weekend and landed on my left ribs on a low table. The CT scan in the E.D. on Saturday showed 6 broken ribs, but 8 fractures - 2 ribs were broken in 2 places. Well - super painful and in recovery mode again.

Adam,

Agreeing with a previous post, after looking at those 2 Pegs closely, it looks like you now have 2 of that model and colorway - wow! You sure do have some nice bikes. In my opinion, fit is a very subjective topic, and I think I have found my best contact point dimensions as well as my wife's, because we both ride comfortably with no follow-up pain.

Dave
Dang, so sorry to hear about the setback. Busted ribs way back in my youth, hate for that to happen to anyone.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:58 AM
Byron

what is that thang?

In front of the shack doors?
Wild Thang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I have definitely been experimenting with my bikes and fit the last few years. I definitely can ride different bikes and sizes, but the tendency for the past two years is to go a bit taller in the front on most of them! I am also a fan of doing whatever I want to my bikes!

I have obviously been through a tremendous amount of bikes over the years and this winter and early spring have brought in a bunch of extremely nice bikes. I have already parted ways with the two with the most drop. The one was easily the fastest position I have been capable of in years and reasonably comfortable, but I didn't see myself being able to maintain that position for too much longer!

Old 04-18-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Anybody else decide to size up as they aged or based on a similar situation? Did it work out in the long run?
Yes.
I generally ride size large (56+) frames now, where I am at or just below the bottom of the recommended height range. This gives more stack, and I compensate on reach with a 1cm shorter stem. I also switched to 165 cranks from 170.
All of this helps reduce strain on my lower back and hips, owing to hip replacement range of motion limitations.
For sure, some brands are on the friendlier side of stack/reach ratios than others (e.g. Salsa vs Ritchey).

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 04-18-2024 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Yes.
I generally ride size large (56+) frames now, where I am at or just below the bottom of the recommended height range. This gives more stack, and I compensate on reach with a 1cm shorter stem. I also switched to 165 cranks from 170.
All of this helps reduce strain on my lower back and hips, owing to hip replacement range of motion limitations.
For sure, some brands are on the friendlier side of stack/reach ratios than others.
I am likely going to swap the cranks on the Mxxxxxo to a 170 at some point. My legs are a bit longer than yours, but I did like the 165s on my most recent Kirk while I had it. The good thing about the Mxxxxxo and Round is that the 54 and 55cm have a 381 reach, but the 55cm has a higher stack.

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 04-18-2024 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/a...2030%20seconds.

Try that for giggles, I am 46 and have big big quads and calves, big big glutes and little other muscles when I know my lower back gets too stiff I can't stand up straight and if I tried to hold static weight in front of me it feels like my back "goes out". You should feel a big very tight, slightly painful stretch across your whole butt from the lower back to high hammy.

I have a disease that I have no business indulging in called, "weight weeniism" and as being afflicted with such I size down wherever possible.

Also, short cranks are life to my friends further up in the thread
Same, 165 improved my fit and comfort while I try to loosen my hips.

I do the linked stretch and also similar standing every day by crossing a leg usually while holding something and leaning fwd to stretch the same area. It is a constant battle for me!

A few times this stretch has wreaked havoc on what I believe to be my it band. Stretching too much and it’s like a wire snapping and will be sore for days afterwards.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:48 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Yup - the weird thing is we're all so conditioned to seek that massive amount of drop, and it might be comfortable for some, if you're spine has the flexibility of a pool noodle, but looking back, even when I was at my fittest, the drop wasn't crazy.

Same - I've never had a successful encounter with sizing up: it always fixed a single problem at the expense of creating many more unfixable ones. Sizing up is also why I likely failed to enjoy an Aethos - I was trying to fix stack issues inherent in a 54 with a 56 at the expense of reach.
yep.. I'm more of a flipped stem kind of guy.. reach seems to be the issue for me when sizing up as well.. although I think my new Anderson may work great with a 53cm tt and 166mm headtube.. the only difference I think I'd make if it were custom to me is another cm or two lower seat tube (51cm now).. but it works fine when actually riding and ensures the tt slope isn't too unsightly..

Last edited by fourflys; 04-18-2024 at 11:56 AM.