Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I went snowshoeing in Colorado once. I remember getting up top of this great big hill and thinking to my self, why the hell don't I have skis.

I went snowshoeing once...

I went cross country skiing once. I remember working my ass off to get to the top of this great big hill, so I could slide down, and thought to myself...why the hell aren't I using snow shoes to climb.

Almost true...

At college, I would climb the ski hill on my skinny skies as the other skiers slid down...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-07-2020, 04:17 PM

Jimcav said it in an earlier thread, your aerobic fitness will get you in trouble. The initial soreness wears off in a few months, and then you've got the engine to push harder than someone your age coming off the couch.

Thing is tendons and ligaments take years to toughen up, and they are less pliable than when you were young. So going slow is hugely important. I would also caution you to heed this on hills. Downhills have obvious places where you could get injured, but recognize uphills put a huge amount of strain on your calf/achilles area. Shorten your stride, slow to a run/walk...oh yeah, don't forget to warm up.

And start slower than what your aerobic system is telling you your pace should be.