Old 08-06-2020, 11:42 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
one-off improbable accidents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
unforeseen/unlikely accident.
Nothing about this is improbable, or unforeseen, or unlikely. This has been a risk since the first guy hauled lumber with a truck. Every jurisdiction in the civilized world has load securing statutes on the books.

You are being weirdly defensive about this . . .
Old 08-06-2020, 11:59 AM
DELETE ACCNT

totally agree
I always strap loads in at least two layers. Meaning, if I can't get a failsafe securing method on, I won't carry it.
Most people that do this regularly have at least two layers of failsafe.

Most weekend warriors barely know how to use a ratchet strap and the only failsafe is a hail mary.

Just a good reminder to be safe out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Even if the load was tied down properly, it's the drivers responsibility to monitor it. He failed to do that, so it's on him. Whatever the normal traffic citation is for something of this nature he has it coming. If the cyclist thinks he has a good case and wants to go to court, he has the right to do that, and sue for as much as he can get. After thinking about this a little while I don't believe the pickup driver needs to be charged by the law like a serious criminal, but he opened himself up for anything the law will allow by not maintaining control of the load.

I've hauled enough stuff to know that if I'm going to be on a major, crowded highway and at high speeds to boot, I will make darn sure that load is secured properly with hardware that is up to the task. Once on the road I've either got someone in the cab with me keeping an eye out or I'm looking in the mirrors as often as safely possible. If a person can't do that, they probably shouldn't be the one loading and/or driving the truck.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Dead man you are getting a two week ban for your name calling and aggressive statements towards others. Please read the rules or at least know you can't be calling someone an a-hole here.

I think we have had some good, sound advice here. Know what your doing when securing loads.

I'm closing this thread until we get more information.