Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2019, 07:02 AM

Assos 610.RS vs RX Heavy fabric

I want new knickers, so I decided to buy my first ever pair of Assos. Seemed easy enough, as long as they fit well. But my LBS has two types in stock, the older Tiburu knickers with 610.RS fabric, which has a waffle-effect on the inside, and the new Mille GT with the RX Heavy fabric, which is seemingly good quality Roubaix-style stuff. So now it’s decision time. And since these will hopefully be with me a long while, I thought I would look for some input.

They are a different fit (the old XL fits me and the new L fits), and the Mille is cut higher around the waist, which I prefer. Price is about the same because I think the Tiburu have been discounted to $209 while the Mille are $199.

So it comes down to the fabric, really. Anyone have a comparison? How does the 610.RS fabric hold up over time? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:21 AM

I have the 610 fabric in the older thermal short. It holds up well. But the heavier mille will probably hold up better and be a bit warmer.

The Mille is more a comfort fit, so if that is what you want, it will hold up fine. If you want the feel of a little more compression, go the 610 tiburu. I think the chamois in the new Mille is different from the S-7 in the tiburu. The other thing to consider is the flex areas. I think the new mille uses thinner fabric in the flex areas like behind the knee and stuff. . .

I have the older Mille knickers and these are pretty much indestructible.

What I really want is my old Ibex Knickers with Assos insert. This would make me happy.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 10-23-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:56 AM

I own both and the older Tiburu_S7 with the Equipe insert are far superior to the new RX Heavy only Mille knicker.

The older versions are waffled and both seem to hold warmth as well, if not slightly better, while breathing better and also include the wind block panel over the crotch area which is just wonderful on a chilly day. The Equipe insert is more comfortable on longer rides and has the shaping in the front for a perfect fit...

The new Milles are still a great pair of knickers and better than 95% of what's out there, but between the two there's not really a great comparison. Keep in mind the older tiburus retailed for $300. They're still somewhat available in the shorts version, while the new Mille knickers were more designed to hit the price point and looser fit for a casual rider.

I'm 5'10ish, sit around 155-160lbs and wear a Medium in both but I could do a small in the mille if the legs were longer...
Old 10-23-2019, 08:27 AM

Tiburus.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Thanks all. Great info.

I will look at the pad placement again, which seems to be better in the Mille. But if that is a wash, I will go with the Tiburu.

And verticaldoug, I agree about the Ibex. Great fabric, but the pad stunk. I actually paid Boure to swap in one of their pads.

Nobody else seems to make wool knickers that I like. That needs to be addressed.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:14 PM

Reviving this thread to say I went with the Tiburu XLs and it was a great choice. I love these knickers. Every time I put them on it feels like quality, like cycling wear that is also luxurious. As far as fit, they probably are not as tight as Assos intended them to be, but they are very comfortable and the pad is in the right spot. I cannot comment on durability yet, but I’ll update if it’s anything less than should be expected from such an expensive piece of clothing.

In short, these are superior to every other pair of bibs or any cycling shorts or tights I have owned. So thanks for the feedback, which really helped me decide on this model.

Now I am looking at a new pair of shorts and want to try 7Mesh, so I’ll post that in another thread for input.