Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you buy made to measure cycling kit?
No - I am ok with standard sizing (S/M/L/XL) 29 60.42%
Maybe - depends on the price 10 20.83%
Yes - definitely something I'd consider (assuming price similar to other high end kits) 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2019, 07:13 PM

Poll: Made to measure cycling kit - yea or nay?

Curious to hear from folks what their take is on made to measure cycling kit. Not custom designed kit in S/M/L/XL, but fully made to measure kit to your body measurements.

Assuming it's in the same ballpark as other high-end kit pricing (e.g, Rapha), same quality fabrics, and custom fit to your measured dimensions.....is there a market need?

Full disclosure: a buddy is looking to start a cycling/triathlon clothing line (I'm not financially involved whatsoever) with this as their primary focus. I won't disclose the details here as I'm not looking to pimp the brand, just curious to solicit feedback from a wide range of people in the cycling market, many of whom shell out for custom gear and/or high end kit.

I have my own opinion on the business model but would love to hear more from the collective here.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:17 PM

Can it be done without the attitude of Brandt-Sorenson?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Can it be done without the attitude of Brandt-Sorenson?
Haha.....I should've thought about those guys. Yeah, I mean my buddy will take your money and treat you with attitude if that's your thing, but otherwise it's decidedly less dramatic. and you don't get a free KOM with every jersey.

Last edited by KJMUNC; 10-22-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:32 PM

It is now all I use. I tried two well known American companies. I found those mediocre. One in Pittsburgh was actually awful for me. But at least they gave me a total refund when I complained. Sadly my experience for my taste was that the Americans made **** product and charged way too much (it would have been too much even if they made acceptable product). I have tried many overseas suppliers too and liked their quality but price value was off because the price was too high although the product was good. There is one company I like and now use their stuff exclusively. I LOVE Breathe Vélo in Australia. Pricy but totally worth it as their quality is through the roof at least to my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2019, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Not a need IMO.

Also; seems impossible to do this well and offer both the same quality as top end kit at the same price point.

Plan doomed to fail I’m afraid.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:33 PM

If it's the same cost as other high end kit, even though I rarely have issues with sizing, yes I'd do that.
I can fit off the rack frames, but buy custom so why not.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
It is now all I use. I tried two well known American companies. I found those mediocre. One in Pittsburgh was actually awful for me. But at least they gave me a total refund when I complained. Sadly my experience for my taste was that the Americans made **** product and charged way too much (it would have been too much even if they made acceptable product). I have tried many overseas suppliers too and liked their quality but price value was off because the price was too high although the product was good. There is one company I like and now use their stuff exclusively. I LOVE Breathe Vélo in Australia. Pricy but totally worth it as their quality is through the roof at least to my taste.

Why didn't you post this two days ago?
I was looking for wool warmers. These look nice. Price is decent, too.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:42 PM

Donkey Label started out this way about 8 years ago. They planned to have standard sizing, and a fit kit. Then if you needed a special cut, they'd accommodate.

I recall the idea getting scrapped due to the cost of logistics and the work to create custom sizes.

Best of luck to your friends, I hope they can make it work!

Last edited by hollowgram5; 10-22-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:49 PM

Buyer beware....

I bought a custom jersey from Love the Pain in LA on August 31st and have yet to receive it. I emailed them a couple of days ago and got blown off.....

Last edited by joosttx; 10-22-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:12 PM

This is something that I would definitely consider as most standard kit never seems to fit right for me.

In addition, I'm currently exploring a similar business model (for another genre of clothing) as custom fitting technologies have been improving at a rapid pace the last few years. The possibility of providing a high-quality, US made product that is custom fit to the wearer is exciting (to me at least).

Good luck to your buddy - I think it's a cool business model.

Texbike
Old 10-22-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Buyer beware....

I bought a custom jersey from Love the Pain in LA on August 31st and have yet to receive it. I emailed them a couple of days ago and got blown off.....

Wow... Now that is some ugly ass ****.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:17 PM

I would also be a customer, just as with frames and shoes everything ends up custom. Don't know if there are enough other physical outliers to support this business model, but the few there are would certainly appreciate it. How many thousands of dollars have I spent on ill-fitting frames and "almost" shoes that would have been better spent on something custom, even with an occasional custom trial and error oops.

Out for a ride tommorow morn wearing my Rapha bibs that fit perfectly where critical, but leave wealts on my shoulders after 3 hrs.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2019, 05:23 AM

A terrible concept. Think about MTM suits and shirts, they’re never perfect the first time and usually by the 2nd or third round the fit is nailed. I can’t see how this model would work viably? Even Brandt-Sorensen by his own admission does very low volumes.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Buyer beware....

You're getting close to 8 weeks on that order. The thing is, their own FAQ says that they don't hold stock, and everything is made to order. This is what they said about lead times:

Quote:
What are the lead times like?
Lead times are subject to change at anytime. Products tend to ship between 1-12 weeks but longer lead times have occurred during peak season and are not a reason for cancellation.
They said that in two places in the FAQ, and in a customer notice on the front page. So, you are still within their usual delivery time frame. They did say to contact them if you get over 12 weeks. I assume you could dispute the charge with your credit card company, especially if it goes well over 12 weeks, but I would probably think twice about this given their warnings to purchasers.

Looking at their prices and considering what sort of wear athletic clothes are subject to, I'm not quite sold on full custom. I voted no on the poll because right now, off the rack stuff appears to fit me well enough. It does vary by company. A lot of jerseys in my size are a bit too narrow in the shoulders, and some bibs tend to be too long. I know custom would be a better fit, but I am not currently willing to pay the premium for stuff if I don't know how long it will last. For a bike frame, the calculus is different because they can last a very long time - my custom roadie is now 12 years old. Or maybe my math is wrong? I guess part of the question is how long can we expect good custom bibs and jerseys to last?

Last edited by weiwentg; 10-24-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post

Breathe Velo isn't a true custom, is it? You still pick a size based on chest dimensions or something similar in your closet..It's not like a custom suit, made specifically for you, one item at a time..or am I missing something?
There are places that make a custom, one at a time, jersey using measurements from an individual?

I never knew..after almost 40 years in this daffy biz, I never heard of such a thing..