Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2019, 04:02 PM

Campagnolo Bora One front hub question

I have a set and recently went to strip the front hub to clean & re-grease the bearings but can't figure out how to pry the dust cap off. Some online vids seem to show it's plastic and therefore easily pried off with small flat blade screwdriver but mine feels more like metal and there's almost no room to get purchase without marring the dust cap or CF hub shell.

Any ideas what I'm not doing?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Al View Post
I have a set and recently went to strip the front hub to clean & re-grease the bearings but can't figure out how to pry the dust cap off. Some online vids seem to show it's plastic and therefore easily pried off with small flat blade screwdriver but mine feels more like metal and there's almost no room to get purchase without marring the dust cap or CF hub shell.

Any ideas what I'm not doing?
The hub 'should' have an adjust cap on the LH side, yes? 5mm allen on each axle end, lefty-loosey and the LH axle end comes out. Then loosen the wee adjust screw in that plate, take it off and tap gently on the axle end with a plastic mallet(axle is aluminum) and axle, with RH dust cap attached, comes out..Essentially the same as below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jpg1111.jpg (13.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 10-22-2019, 09:34 AM

Yep, that's the ticket, I couldn't figure out how to remove "E". Will give it try today and let you know how it ends up.

BTW, I've read online that some people use specialty grease for the USB bearings while others lightly lube with an oil. Preference? Here in SoCal we never get rain so I'm thinking the bearings shouldn't be too dirty with about 7k miles on them.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Yep, that's the ticket, I couldn't figure out how to remove "E". Will give it try today and let you know how it ends up.

BTW, I've read online that some people use specialty grease for the USB bearings while others lightly lube with an oil. Preference? Here in SoCal we never get rain so I'm thinking the bearings shouldn't be too dirty with about 7k miles on them.
E is a seal in a notch right above the bearings..You won't see it w/o removing the LH adjust plate and then the whole axle.

I recommend grease as it acts as a great seal between inside and outside. USB balls are very hard and if get some grit in there you can kill the cone and/or the cup. Any grease.. I use a mix of waterproof boat grease and white lithium BUT for Campag hubs, I use my big tub of white Campag grease..mmmm, even smells good.

This video is of the rear hub but if you look at just the left side stuff and discount replacing the cups..the front hub, left side seals and such is the same.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Sup...olo_wheels_hub

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-22-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:53 AM

If you are talking about the plastic piece with the same diameter as the hub on the opposite side of the bearing adjust cone, then you should be able to pop it off fairly easy. Bora ones use the same hubs as zondas if i remember correctly and mine came off by using my fingernails.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:51 AM

Thanks Oldpotatoe, it worked like a charm! However after cleaning everything in degreaser (I used Park's bio liquid), lightly oiling with Tri-Flow, re-assembling with the slightest amount of grease they're super loud and notchy.

I was very careful to dry the bearings (exceptionally warm day here) and finished with compressed air.

Now that I know the trick to disassembly I'll pull everything apart, re-clean, re-grease and try again.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Thanks Oldpotatoe, it worked like a charm! However after cleaning everything in degreaser (I used Park's bio liquid), lightly oiling with Tri-Flow, re-assembling with the slightest amount of grease they're super loud and notchy.

I was very careful to dry the bearings (exceptionally warm day here) and finished with compressed air.

Now that I know the trick to disassembly I'll pull everything apart, re-clean, re-grease and try again.
Make sure the bearings are not upside down..the 'bearings' in the fiber cage need to be 'pointing' toward the outboard directions of the hub. Also make sure the seals are indeed in the notches of the hub. Add grease, it won't hurt it and as it squeezes out with use, they are a great seal agianst grit getting in there.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Campag grease
That stuff is magic. Smells metric.