Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2019, 12:58 PM

What about Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder - home of the upside down pizza?

Pizza, Beef, and Dogs mixed with Cubs or Soxs can be passionate debates among the locals and visitors...good news is you will not be hungry when you leave!

OP - give an update after you get back on which places you made it to and what you ate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2019, 02:43 PM

Aurelio’s is the best pizza on earth. Mods please close thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2019, 09:44 PM

your train will probably be very, very late arriving to chicago. i'd bet about 12hrs behind schedule.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
your train will probably be very, very late arriving to chicago. i'd bet about 12hrs behind schedule.
Interesting comment. My farm is on the main line of the CB&Q/BN/BNSF and the Amtrak trains seem to come by at close to the same times every day. I'm not typically within sight of the tracks though when the Chief comes through. Last time I took the CA Zephyr to Denver we were on time within a few minutes. Next day (after VeloSwap) was a different story. We were only going to Granby, but there was a freight train broken down in the Moffat tunnel and we spent most of the day sitting there waiting for it the be cleared out. Where are the snags on the Chief's route?
Old 10-22-2019, 08:52 PM
Descent fitness

On our way!

Thanks again to everybody for the wonderful suggestions.
After a sleepless night on call, I got up early and put in a hilly 20+ mile ride before we drove the 3+ hours to LAX to drop off the car. From there we bussed it to Union Station, and have settled into our little sleeper compartment. Matt is ecstatic, and we are looking forward to a fun time on the train.
This trip is all about easy, so I decided to book the Essex Hotel in the loop, everything just fell into place. We should drive mid-afternoon on Thursday, so I figured we could walk around the area near the hotel on our arrival afternoon and have pizza at Lou Malnati’s, which is one block away from hotel. For entertainment that night, I got a couple of tickets to see Vintage #18 at Buddy Guy’s club, which is also a block away from our hotel as well. I listened to a few songs online from the band, and they seem like a very smooth, easy to listen to blues band, which is just what my son would like. I guess no hard-edged blues for me this night, but the trip is all for him, anyway.
Friday will be spent at the Museum of Science and Industry. We will figure out someplace close to there to eat lunch, will need to be at the airport by about 4:30 to catch our flight. I tried to make getting to Frank Lloyd Wright‘s home work, but just no way. Bummer because that’s something I would like to see some day. Big fan of his, along with Greene and Greene. Next trip.
So, looking forward to a good time. Will update if there is something of interest to share with the group. Again, thanks, all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6F6812D3-2412-405E-AAAC-487237CB8D17.jpg (84.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 4C5F5227-DBD5-4029-8028-52BEE271445D.jpg (115.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 651DC725-4450-4667-A43C-4C61C73CF0C1.jpg (100.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 10-22-2019, 08:59 PM

Kid trips are best when you do what the kids want. Miserable if you don't. You will enjoy the museum. I know I sure did. I liked the "how things work" departments.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:19 PM

The museum has so much to see I would just grab a quick lunch in the restaurant there. You will have a tough time seeing everything of interest in one full day. Do not miss touring the u-boat and the coal mine. The mine may sound corny but it will make you feel like you have really visited a hard-rock mine. I look forward to your report on the train ride because that sounds like something I might want to do too.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:33 PM

Sounds like a great plan, enjoy!
Old 10-22-2019, 09:52 PM

Sounds like a great trip. If you want to see some of Frank Lloyd Wright's work (and you find yourself with a couple unaccounted-for hours), the Robie House is not far from the Museum of Science and Industry on the University of Chicago campus. It is a masterpiece and I believe part of the portfolio that just received UNESCO designation.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhisperer View Post
Sounds like a great trip. If you want to see some of Frank Lloyd Wright's work (and you find yourself with a couple unaccounted-for hours), the Robie House is not far from the Museum of Science and Industry on the University of Chicago campus. It is a masterpiece and I believe part of the portfolio that just received UNESCO designation.
And could grab lunch at Plein Air Cafe next door.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:17 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
That and the Plein air cafe sounds like a plan.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:00 AM

Looks like you have blues scheduled, but in case you need more Joanna Connor still has a residency at Kingston Mines including 11:30pn and 1:30am sets.

https://kingstonmines.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QS4rfPE2k0
Old 10-23-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
And could grab lunch at Plein Air Cafe next door.
On a younger budget we used to like the Medici -- en route to Robie House and the U of C campus if you are walking from the museum.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhatibi View Post
Looks like you have blues scheduled, but in case you need more Joanna Connor still has a residency at Kingston Mines including 11:30pn and 1:30am sets.

https://kingstonmines.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QS4rfPE2k0
I wish I could, but I think after an hour or two my son will be cooked and ready to go back to the hotel. Adult trip will follow sometime next year.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
This.
FWIW - The MSI has gone down hill a bit. Most of the stuff in there is still 1970s. The train in the lobby is being renovated, but the big miniature train is set is there, the 727 is there, the sub is there, the antique cars are there, and the bike exhibit is there (but 10yrs out of date). I'd recommend seeing what you want to see and get out of there.

If you don't mind a cab ride, this is a local lunch favorite - ricobenespizza.com - for the breaded steak sandwich

The Greenmill is a better experience than than Kingston Mines IMO, but you can easily do both. The Greenmill IIRC doesn’t get good until after midnight.

If it's your gig, maybe this is a good wander - old building parts. https://www.architecturalartifacts.com/

Last edited by jfranci3; 10-24-2019 at 10:09 AM.