Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2021, 10:30 PM

looking for an est. value for a Serotta

Friend is looking to buy a Serotta custom Classique Ti from a friend of hers. 2001, Shimano triple, likely Ultegra but not sure, on the bike. She wants to be fair in what she offers.
Frame is in like new condition, hardly ever got ridden. obviously, the components are quite old, so maybe not much value in those.
Anybody have an idea of what might be fair?
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image5.jpeg (139.9 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpeg image0.jpeg (110.7 KB, 337 views)
Old 09-22-2021, 11:29 PM

Is that a 1'' headtube?

Id say $600 is the most id spend because of the outdated groupset and the small size

Last edited by jtakeda; 09-22-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:41 PM
cmg

"$600 is the most id spend because of the outdated groupset and the small size"

Ti frames in a small size are rare. granted groupsets just need to function so the addiction can take hold. like wheels they can be replaced. the 1" fork is a drawback. if it fits you do a little more than $600.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:25 AM

One of these sold on eBay for $935 this year, with miscellaneous Campy.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:59 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
She wants to be fair in what she offers.
If it's a friend and she's no longer using it, the bike is just sitting in the garage, and would rather see someone ride it, both sides not looking to "maximize returns", and ignoring the current crazy market, I would say a mutually beneficial "price" would be $850 net.

And I would add... this is something that comes up pretty regularly and I beg to differ.... I personally am still riding bikes that run on the same 9 speed ultegra components, comes with 1" headtube, has the same old ouzo pro carbon fork... yes, they may be aged and old school but I don't see any issue with it if they are still working, no structural damage... I honestly feel as safe and fast, and get as much enjoyment out of riding these old school bikes as the ones that are more updated in my stable. If your friend just want to find a quality ride without spending too much, she could do much worse than this.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:09 AM

Could that have a ti stem hanging of it? Nice looking bike, certainly worth upgrading parts in future.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Could that have a ti stem hanging of it? Nice looking bike, certainly worth upgrading parts in future.
Plan is to move to a compact for starters. Upgrade wheels & such, so components are not a huge factor other than they come with the bike
Old 09-23-2021, 07:57 AM

I think $600 would be underselling that bike, especially in current market. I’d think $800-ish is fair. It is nice Ti after all.

Edit: Reread original post and realize friend is not selling but offering to buy from another friend. I still think $800 is fair all around. I just scanned DC Craigslist and only comp is a Litespeed Tuscany for 1400. Also found a nice Colnago Master Light in my size - wish I hadn’t gone there.

Last edited by Spaghetti Legs; 09-23-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:59 AM
Administrator

That frame looks mint. i would pay a grand for that easy.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:10 AM

An Ultegra Triple is one of the smoothest shifting setups around and provides a wide-range of gearing too. The only change I would make would be to TA 50, 38 and 26 chain rings.

In terms of price, up to $1000 for excellent condition.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:33 AM

Yep, I'll echo some of the previous comments. If all is in great shape as is and I wanted it $1000 wouldn't be out of the question. Now if I was just passing a bike off to a friend then yeah there'd be quite a discount.

Like when I gave in and sold my '87 Circuit built up with new Campagnolo Athena 11 speed groupset and Zonda wheels. Sold it to the mechanic who built it for me a couple of years earlier for a really low price out of respect to him.

I'll also agree that the fork is a non issue running a couple of those right now myself. And Ultegra Triple is great stuff. I just grabbed an old Trek 5200 specifically because it came with a triple setup. Gives me more gearing options for the mountains than my compact double.

In fact I have a NOS Ultegra setup just sitting in a box waiting to be put to use one day. Good stuff.

You don't need the latest and greatest to enjoy riding or even to keep up with most other riders. You just need the legs.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:01 AM

I guess I should’ve said my price was based on the assumption of 1” head tube. But maybe I was a bit low
Old 09-23-2021, 09:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
yes, they may be aged and old school but I don't see any issue with it if they are still working, no structural damage.
Nothing inherently wrong with shimano ultegra components last made about 18 years ago, but when a lever breaks, or a rear der or you need a fork, or the BB goes south, for whatever reason...that may be the 'long pole in the tent'..the thing that holds it all up. Have a 6500 left triple lever fail or a RH 9s one..to get the rig back up will take a 'little' more than just a new shift lever if ya can't find a 6500(3) one.

Frames are 'lifetime'(mostly), components are consumables.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:11 AM

Fair Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
That frame looks mint. i would pay a grand for that easy.
If the person is a friend, offer a fair price. A Serotta Ti bike is truly a “lifetime” bike, understand the 1” head tube is an issue to some… but there is no problem with it and a problem is unlikely to develop.

The bike is in very nice shape, I paid about $800 for a Legend Frame, pre-pandemic… this is not a Legend, but nice bike just the same and it’s ready to ride. You can spend way more for a new Alloy bike, my sense is $1000 is fair.

Best

Ray
Old 09-23-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Nothing inherently wrong with shimano ultegra components last made about 18 years ago, but when a lever breaks, or a rear der or you need a fork, or the BB goes south, for whatever reason...that may be the 'long pole in the tent'..the thing that holds it all up. Have a 6500 left triple lever fail or a RH 9s one..to get the rig back up will take a 'little' more than just a new shift lever if ya can't find a 6500(3) one.

Frames are 'lifetime'(mostly), components are consumables.
A lot of truth here but to be honest I'm still running 20+ bikes with plenty of older components from Shimano, Campagnolo, and Suntour. Super active vintage market and I've never not been able to find what I need. Not that anything really breaks either. Maybe I'm lucky but with the 70 some bikes to pass though my house over the past decade or so I've never had a truly broken STI shifter. Plenty gummed up to the point of failing but never truly broken or wore out. Plus so much cross compatibility makes things so much easier. I've taken guite a few DT 6 speed bikes to 10 speed and below STI setups with simple STI shifter additions and the proper chain. With a few exceptions the RD and FD' worked fine.

Of course in the case the buyer should consider if they want to upgrade vs run as it when offering a price. Although good shape Ultegra Triple components will sell for decent amount used.