Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 04-09-2018, 08:20 AM

I keep track of the X/Y location of the nose of the saddle, I use the same pedals, crank length, and saddle on all my bikes.

I measure this by measuring center of BB parallel to the seat tube through the saddle, then I do the trig calculations to normalize to get the Y value across the different bikes with different STAs... there is about a 5-7mm difference across my 3 bikes in terms of saddle height to get the same "Y" height.

Then I set the setback by putting the rear tire against a wall in a corner. Measure from wall to BB, then wall to saddle nose, and subtract the saddle measurement from the BB measurement.

Once that is done they're in exactly the same spot and you can measure to the bars off the nose of the saddle since I'm using the same saddle.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:15 PM

I put a small piece of tape in the center of the saddle then measure and mark the saddle center with an ink dot. Then measure from center of bottom bracket to the location of the ink dot.

Saddle setback is measured to the nose of the saddle so sometimes I adjust the setback measurement to compensate for the various saddle lengths.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:30 PM

literally about 5 threads below this one is what dave kirk wrote:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=175477

(in which he refers to this post)

it's good stuff. the problem is that saddles vary in how much and where they dip, which has an influence on set back and height