Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Yellow Bianchi Ron

The riders I've met aren't the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyoftexas
I know, the quality of the people you've met on the Hellweek rides is below par!....right?....guess that would include ME!!!!! How ya doin' YELLOW B man!!??? You gonna be in FBG anytime soon?
Everyone I've met has in FBG have been great fun to ride with. No bad memories here. I've said nothing but good things about you and meant every word. Mr. Trophy is probably one of the most knowledgeable about which rides to do in the area.

I'm doing well. I was thinking on coming out there mid week for some riding. I'll e-mail you my plans when I know. I was initially thinking March 18 to 21st.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:42 PM

I'll be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbvh5
I'm doing well. I was thinking on coming out there mid week for some riding. I'll e-mail you my plans when I know. I was initially thinking March 18 to 21st.
Plans as they stand now are to arrive in FBG tomorrow afternoon (Wed. 3/11) and stay through Friday the 20th....I MAY stay over and do an early morning ride on Saturday the 21st but I have to be in Houston no later than late Saturday afternoon...meeting my wife and granddaughter there for the remainder of the weekend and some wedding planning with my son and his girlfriend....I'd rather go to my own hanging than go to Houston when there's still weekend-riding to do in FBG!!!

We've lost access to the house we used to rent, owner sold it to a guy that actually wants to LIVE there, darn him anyway! I'll be at Lady Bird if you come looking for me! Orange tent-green van!
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking!" -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 03-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onno
...Austin and Fredericksburg must have a few vegetarians!
More in Austin than F'burg.

Here are a few more vegetarian options in Austin.

Mr. Natural
http://www.mrnatural-austin.com/

Mother's Cafe
http://www.motherscafeaustin.com/

Daily Juice
http://www.dailyjuice.org/
Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Gotta be a ton...

...of veggie places in Austin! I'm a meat eater and can't really contrib. much to this discussion but I've even seen vegetarian fajita's in Austin...now, what the heck is THAT all about!!!??? I mean, no meat sure doesn't sound like any fajita I'd want to eat! Just cant' see the point in that one at all. Seems to me that it should be against the law to call something a fajita that doesn't have SOME kinda meat in there...last year at Hellweek I rode with an old friend from the East Coast and he wanted to go into Austin to get some "really good Tex-Mex".....and then he order the aforeto mentioned veggie fajita's!!!!! Gee's, talk about effin' up "really good Tex-Mex!" Anyway, to each his own....as many tree huggers as there are in Austin I'm sure that the vegetarian crowd is well represented there, too!....after all, as the saying goes....."Keep Austin Weird!"
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking!" -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Not exactly vegetarian, but when in Fredericksburg - check out the Pasta Bella . Great food and good company. I'm sure Sean (owner) will put together something tasty w/out meat.

Last time I was there I had some Ravioli stuffed with butternut squash - DELICIOSO.

Had to ride an extra 30 miles the next day, but that's another story

Have fun - i wish I was going as the riding and scenery are fantastic.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 PM

Pasta Bella....

....ahh yes, forgot about that one...an ace of a place and run by a cyclist to boot! And like hochstes73 said, they WILL fix specialties for you on the spot. Nice people, too! Gee's as many forumites as there are that have visited FBG you'd think we could put together a "get together/ride" down there sometime.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 PM

If you're looking for a B&B, the place we are staying is fantastic -- B&B Cyclismo. Recommended by Trophy of Texas. Really nice place, terrific people, and a picture of the Gent 6 Day in our room! (Thanks Trophy!)

This aint vegetarian but we've heard it's great. If you're a vegetarian you can eat the side dishes:

http://www.donstrange.com/locations_waring.htm

Yesterday we went on this ride. Nice:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/260056

Today this:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/260056

Cherry Spring Road is incredible -- my favorite road so far. And nary a car in sight for the whole middle part of the ride.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:40 AM

Thanks for all the info. We've booked our B and B, and will drop in on Hill Country Bikes and several of the restaurants already mentioned. Can't wait to see the sun again!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 AM

The words "Gypsum Mine Rd" still make by quads squeal...

Enjoy!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Yellow Bianchi Ron

Hasenwinlke Rd. / Center Point Rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochstes73
The words "Gypsum Mine Rd" still make by quads squeal...

Enjoy!
Start riding at HWY 10 ten miles east Kerrville and proceed north. Repeat after me: "Gypsum Mine Rd is easy".

I remember that road as the one that kicked my tukus the most. You are right though, Gypsum Mine Rd ranks right up there with the worst/best the area has to offer. I dread/hope to do them both real soon.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:36 PM

Go See

Go see Dale Watson play at "Chicken sh*t Bingo" (just what it sounds like) at Ginny's Little Longhorn on Sundays. You will thank me.

Request the transvestite trucker song.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 PM
banana

Good prices on Wranglers and Ivermectin at Weinheimer & Son in Stonewall.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paczki
Go see Dale Watson play at "Chicken sh*t Bingo" (just what it sounds like) at Ginny's Little Longhorn on Sundays. You will thank me.

Request the transvestite trucker song.
You made it to Ginny's???? Fantastic!!! Ginny's has to be THE best little honkey-tonk in the entire state and Dale Watson is the icing on the cake. The guy is Gen U Wine.

If you are fortunate enough to be here through this weekend, you can take advantage of some great music during SXSW (www.sxsw.com). There will be more bands and more shows than you could possibly hope to see. There will also be free shows on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday Nights on the South Shore of Town Lake (okay, Ladybird Lake) that features some good Texas artists. Friday Night looks especially good with Bob Schneider, Raul Malo, and The Arc Angels. Saturday Night's free show isn't bad either with Fastball and Eryka Badu.

Also, we have a great radio station here (www.kgsr.com) at 107.1. They play a wide variety of music including a lot of Texas musicians. Give it a try. You may like it

Make sure you take a swim in Barton Springs and have BBQ at Green Mesquite while you're here.

Have Fun!

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 03-16-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike
You made it to Ginny's???? Fantastic!!! Ginny's has to be THE best little honkey-tonk in the entire state and Dale Watson is the icing on the cake. The guy is Gen U Wine.

If you are fortunate enough to be here through this weekend, you can take advantage of some great music during SXSW (www.sxsw.com). There will be more bands and more shows than you could possibly hope to see. There will also be free shows on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday Nights on the South Shore of Town Lake (okay, Ladybird Lake) that features some good Texas artists. Friday Night looks especially good with Bob Schneider, Raul Malo, and The Arc Angels. Saturday Night's free show isn't bad either with Fastball and Eryka Badu.

Also, we have a great radio station here (www.kgsr.com) at 107.1. They play a wide variety of music including a lot of Texas musicians. Give it a try. You may like it

Make sure you take a swim in Barton Springs and have BBQ at Green Mesquite while you're here.

Have Fun!

Texbike
Sadly we weren't there on Sunday, so we missed Ginny's. But we saw the great Mr. Watson at Threadgills. And we saw Joe Ely and Joel Guzman at the Saxon. So we were very happy.

KGRS is great!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 AM

Crap, people. Stop posting this stuff or you'll make me quit my job and move back!!! Shiner Bock just doesn't taste the same up here.

In FBG, check out Rather Sweet, a bakery owned by Dan Rather's daughter. Good stuff, closes after lunch.

Double Ditto on the "carry lots of water" for the Willow City Loop and other rides. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.