Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 AM

SOMA Smoothie ES

Has anyone had any experience with the SOMA Smoothie ES frame? I have been searching in vain for a bike for a 6'9 person with a 38.5" inseam (also, my arms are 26.5" from shoulder to wrist) for a reasonable price. It looks like SOMA makes their Smoothie ES model in a 66cm size w/ a 63cm top tube. Does anyone have any experience with this frame?

Also, what would be the best/least way to build up the bike with quality parts (Ultegra level?)? Would I take it to a local retailer and ask them to do it or would I be better off buying the parts off of ebay and taking them to a bike mechanic that I know through a friend who is an avid cyclist?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 AM

never ridden one

but they look sharp and seem like a very decent approach to a good better than basic road machine. As for build and parts, that would be a crap shoot. I'm thinking the bike biz is probably hurting these days and you could do a bit of shopping. Put your kit together on paper and ask a couple of shops what they'd charge for the parts and/or the build. If just parts, aebike.com and Licktons are good choices. Licktons will beat anyone by some percent. Better yet, get parts, get some tools, get a book and see how much you can do yourself.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Not bad looking and hard to beat the price. I've used Soma bars and they are stout and well made. I don't know about the frames but for the price it's worth a try for a commuter or fun bike.

The geo chart says 66 center to top which really makes it more like a 63/64 center to center. The chart I saw also says the TT is about 61 cm. At 6' 9" it's going to be a tad small for you IMO.

When big guys like us try off the rack big frames you also have to wonder about the "Noodle" factor. But you won't know until you try it.

Groups? What ever you're comfortable putting on it. 105, Ultegra will do you fine. If you want to and you can afford it, heck, put DA on it. Ultegra is the smart choice IMO.

Best of luck!
William
Old 03-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Back At It!

The only thing I will say is I bought an ES used from a guy in Portland and found a through the frame crack on the topside of the downtube weld. I got my money back from the seller and heard from him that they replaced his frame under warrenty. Not sure if this a common issue, but I know it's happened at least once...
Old 03-24-2009, 11:27 AM

+1 to what William said. Hate to say it, but that bike is too small for you. I'm a short 6'6" and that's actually slightly smaller than what I ride ett and ht.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys
The only thing I will say is I bought an ES used from a guy in Portland and found a through the frame crack on the topside of the downtube weld. I got my money back from the seller and heard from him that they replaced his frame under warrenty. Not sure if this a common issue, but I know it's happened at least once...

Yeah, be sure to check out some other forum chatter. Soma did have some breakage problems on the downtube and near seatstay/chainstay dropout area. Being a bigger guy, you may want some heavier tubesets? Surly Pacer, perhaps? Surly Cross check?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:47 PM

Thank you all for your input! I guess my search continues.