Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2008, 02:17 PM

Hope it's just temporary

First ride of the year without leg/arm warmers so the legs were a little white. The first drivers that passed had on sunglasses but I knew the glare was bad most of them had to put down the visor as they passed, or put a hand in front of their eyes. As I was going down the road I saw a driver coming from a side road looking away from me and getting ready to turn just as I went past he turned his head, no sunglasses. I heard a terrible cry, "I'm blind" as the car went straight across the road and hit the mailbox. I hurried down the road and when the EMT's passed figured I'd find a different route home . I'm sure it's just temporary . Beautiful day for a bike ride though about 60* light wind and lots of sun. Any other good ride stories .
Old 05-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Tom fKB

Nothing like that. Bird sightings.

I saw a woodcock crossing the road at the top of the hill on Outlet and Rte. 50. About six of what must have been domestic escapees: round like quail, about ten inches or so, grey and black barred all over except what I would guess were the males had silly little red wattles on the top of their heads. A small blue grey hawk with a barred tail zipping along a hedge row.

Two and three quarters hours yesterday, three hours today. Nice rides and it seems like I've lost the hammer out of the tool box but I'm sure it'll show up again one of these days.

It's later than you think.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:32 PM

I have a beautiful piece of road about 2 miles from the house, just as I'm starting to feel loose.

Down hill, through some S-bends and nice tight turns. Lots of fun, just hit the half-way point this morning, tight little right sweeper and a Pheasant exploded out of the bush to my right, jsut about took my head off as it went.

It's all part of what we see out riding.

I am depressingly slow this so far this year. About half as many miles as this time last year, twice as many feet going uphill and averaging about 2 mph slower on average - I hope the legs come back at some point.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:37 PM

Did 15 Miles on some of the steeps hills around.

I made it .... I've leave it at that.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:43 PM

Jeez Frank. I didn't know you were Scottish too. We are used to being beacons unto the world.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Ape and Essence

Be strong brother Frank, for all of us.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:00 PM

I saw one of them too...

The bird that is, nothing unusual about really white guys on bikes around here. The bird I saw (and you described) was hunting in the woods behind my house is a Coopers Hawk. On my ride today I saw a couple of Osprey a couple of bald eagles and a gaggle (or flock or herd) of turkey's and a deer or a dozen. The turkeys around here are like crows, and they must be mating right now. They are mighty bold. I am in an urban area about 15 miles north of both the downtowns our our twin cities. All Gods critters are happy to be outside, including me.