Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2015, 09:06 AM

new guys who are "missing out on deals"....you don't need 30 posts to buy...just private message the seller
Old 04-24-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
new guys who are "missing out on deals"....you don't need 30 posts to buy...just private message the seller
That's what I did to buy something here, but the "missing out on deals" part works both ways. You guys missed out on some of the things that I could have sold here, that ended up on eBay instead. But I respect the rules and in the end, I got good prices on my stuff anyway.

I found this forum through doing some research on some technical questions and I was impressed by this forum's depth of experience and its friendly atmosphere. I will post a better intro in the appropriate place when I have more time.

--Warren
Old 04-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren128 View Post
That's what I did to buy something here, but the "missing out on deals" part works both ways. You guys missed out on some of the things that I could have sold here, that ended up on eBay instead. But I respect the rules and in the end, I got good prices on my stuff anyway.

I found this forum through doing some research on some technical questions and I was impressed by this forum's depth of experience and its friendly atmosphere. I will post a better intro in the appropriate place when I have more time.

--Warren
Warren,

People like doing business with established members on here, because they are...."established".

More than a few folks have joined and dumped stuff on here that looked like they could have been "a deal". No one is kicking themselves because of all the "deals" we are missing out on from people that are new or been here for a year or less but have no desire to contribute to the forum.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post

I got the feeling that a lot of the deals on the classifieds used to be 'buddy pricing', pretty good deals for friends. I'm not if that is still the case, but it seems that having lots of folks trolling the classifieds makes it harder to have that kind of community vibe.
This thread is so old this comment may get lost but I think it's worth posting. There has been "bro-pricing" in our classifieds. Then there were instances where a buyer who enjoyed that turned around and immediately sold the goods for a profit. Not surprisingly some of the sellers who thought they were helping a forumite get something for his own use were miffed to see a quick flip. Other sellers were more sanguine and figured once the goods were sold what the buyer did was none of there business. I understand both points of view but flippers do detract a little from the warm,fuzzy feelings we like to encourage here.

I try to avoid these situations by responding to WTB posts in the thread or even in a private message. The trouble with PMs is many of us don't notice that we have one waiting for us so it may seem like the WTB poster doesn't want to answer.

Sometimes I'll get a return post from a person other than the OP asking to buy my item IF the OP doesn't want it. Those folks are considerate of our feeling of community and I'm usually happy for them to be in a backup position. OTOH someone who seems to want to buy my item "out-from-under" the OP isn't a guy I want to deal with in this case.

There have been threads debating whether it's right for a seller here to sell to anyone other than the first responder to a FS ad. I think it is. This isn't an auction site. There are people I have "known" here for years and consider friends. I would certainly try to let them have my stuff. I would be comfortable that the deal would go smoothly and I would feel I was helping a pal. Sometimes the needed item is of relatively little monetary value so while I might feel moved to sell it to a pal whom I feel has been a valuable contributing forumite I might not want to go to the trouble of wrapping/packaging the stuff and make a trip to the post office to sell it to a stranger for a few bucks.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:28 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post
Warren,

People like doing business with established members on here, because they are...."established".

More than a few folks have joined and dumped stuff on here that looked like they could have been "a deal". No one is kicking themselves because of all the "deals" we are missing out on from people that are new or been here for a year or less but have no desire to contribute to the forum.
Of course, I fully understand this.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:22 PM

Racking up the post count...

Do responses to this post count towards my post count? 😉
Old 04-25-2015, 11:33 AM

While, I came for the classified to buy parts, I've been enjoying the general discussions and look forward to being apart of the community.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasp View Post
While, I came for the classified to buy parts, I've been enjoying the general discussions and look forward to being apart of the community.
Besides the amount of time you'll spend on here, you won't regret it. It's a great place for all level's of knowledge and different kind of riders too.

www.deliberatelydomestic.com