Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2015, 11:57 PM

OT: SIBO diagnoses

So I'm not sure if anyone knows anything about SIBO or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, but my wife was just recently diagnosed with it. We are about to start her on an antibiotics round and a temporary dietary change that eliminates agitating foods. I was curious if anyone had any experience or knowledge regarding it? Could really use some advice on the dietary aspect.

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 04-23-2015, 06:54 AM

My wife has not yet been diagnosed but I think she may have the same issue. Foods that never bothered her give her gas a bloating.

I am not a fan of antibiotics (unless you have to have them and then I am a super fan) and she is trying a more natural method. There is a lot of stuff written up on the web about it.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:17 AM
#bottlestorage

I wonder if probiotics (found in Kefir, Kombucha or elsewhere) would help?

Best of luck
Old 04-23-2015, 08:36 AM

I was diagnosed with it in 2009.. I probably had it starting around 2005 or so with it getting progressively worse.

I was mis-diagnosed with lactose intolerance before I finally got to a gastroenterologist. They put me through a massive ringer of tests before giving me the bacterial overgrowth test as at least where I went they wanted to rule out all the more dangerous things first as a lot of different things cause the same symptoms. There was some miserable stages.. at one point they put me on Paxil which is apparently used sometimes when they think anxiety might be part of the cause. The Paxil dose for this is low, so it didn't have any noticeable mental effect on me, but it actually made my symptoms worse so I didn't take it very long. They also tried a few weird natural products (aloe juice) that also made me really, really sick.

For natural stuff when it was bad peppermint tea was the best thing.

When they finally ran the right test (I was tested for cancer, celiac, giardia & other parasites, lactose intolerance, etc, etc.. ) they gave me the antibiotic. The antibiotic followed by probiotics did the trick, but I had to be careful for several years before I could eat most of what I wanted.

Caffeine seemed to be a big part of it.. I came down with this when I was cycling a lot, eating tons of carbohydrates, and drinking tons of coffee and working a lot too.

I work pretty hard at keeping my caffeine intake down and I still take probiotics and have yogurt most days. Take the probiotics the gastroenterologist tells you to.. at the time I was going they were saying only Align and Culturelle had solid evidence of efficacy, lots of the other stuff is supplement quackery. I'm doing fine these days. It really messed up my cycling for a few years there... it made it easy to lose weight but if you were trying to do a race and got sick the night before.. forget being competitive.

I also eat a reduced gluten diet, the doctor had said I could be one of the weirdos who was "gluten sensitive" but didn't have celiac. Really the only reason I eat reduced amounts of gluten is both my wife and son DO have celiac.. so there is less of it in the house. But it is possible that is helping me not have another round of overgrowth. I am supposed to actually try going totally gluten free but I never have. I avoid fructose too.. I wish I had been tested for fructose intolerance but I never was because I came back positive on the bacterial overgrowth test. I basically never have anything with HFCS, I never have any fruit juice except cranberry juice (your dentist will love you for this too), and I even avoid some of the fruits that are known to be > 50% fructose. Grapes & Wine are pretty bad.. some wines are fine but it's not worth the effort for me to figure out so no wine. Apples can be pretty bad too.. wikipedia has a big article on this, but in general there is a super unnatural amount of fructose and sugar in general the american diet.. you combine that with caffeine speeding up your GI tract and you can't absorb all the sugars in your small intestine.. some of the sugar makes it to your large intestine and the bacteria can have a feast.

I actually don't really think this is that Off topic.. in my case I definitely think cycling a lot was part of the issue. Cycling hard messes with your GI tract, a lot of the upset stomach issues people get when riding long & hard are related to bacteria and I think it's possible cycling without being careful about your diet can be part of the cause of this. Cycling seems pretty into the whole caffeine culture and you sit there and ride hard and put stress on your GI system while sucking down high carbohydrate beverages, gels, and foods.. seems like it could be a recipe to bring this on if you're susceptible.

Last edited by benb; 04-23-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:34 AM

Sibo

I was diagnosed with this in 2011.
I opted for antibiotics- total mistake. Two round of Xifaxin left me depleted, weak and even worse off.
I found relief by dialing in my diet and getting very minimalist.
I cut out wheat/gluten, caffeine, pretty much all processed foods, dairy, all fruit, most sugars, and vegetable that tend towards acidity.
That does not leave much to eat.
Rice, quinoa and other wholegrains, some fresh vegetables, and organic free range chicken.
It took at least six months but I am convinced that it is the way to go. It is slow medicine.
Docs don't even really know what they are shooting at when they prescribe antibiotics for this. They just have some anecdotal evidence that antibiotics cured some gastric issues in the short run.
Also, Xifaxin is stupid expensive and most health insurances do not pay for it.

Oh yeah, I second the high end probiotics along with this.
Good news is that my digestive system healed- Now I can eat pretty much anything I want (though my diet does tend towards minimalist).
Only thing that bothers my gut is junky dairy like frozen yogurt.

One more thought. I agree that cycling does make this problem worse. Eating a bunch of simple sugars during and after exercise while putting out an effort. I discovered that I needed products that were free of maltodextrin and also fructose. Fructose is very acidic.
Giving up maltodextrin and fructose based drinks, gels and bars helped me too.
Recovery food too- I used to have a smoothie after riding with more maltodextrin, fruit and some protein- the fruit and maltodextrin part was a very bad choice.

Last edited by John H.; 04-23-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:44 AM

Vitamin D

Ever get your vitamin D levels checked?
Many people north of say SF Bay area have vitamin D deficiency in the winter months.
It can cause many of the same symptoms that you speak of.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I was diagnosed with this in 2011.
Two round of Xifaxin left me depleted, weak and even worse off.
I'm not sure why the doctor didn't tell you to expect this. That's the whole point, it wipes out the good and the bad bacteria and lets you do a reset. I was told to expect this, and the idea was that dietary changes worked better after wiping out bacteria.

Quote:
I found relief by dialing in my diet and getting very minimalist.
I cut out wheat/gluten, caffeine, pretty much all processed foods, dairy, all fruit, most sugars, and vegetable that tend towards acidity.
That does not leave much to eat.
Rice, quinoa and other wholegrains, some fresh vegetables, and organic free range chicken.
It took at least six months but I am convinced that it is the way to go. It is slow medicine.
Docs don't even really know what they are shooting at when they prescribe antibiotics for this. They just have some anecdotal evidence that antibiotics cured some gastric issues in the short run.
Again I'm not sure why the doctor didn't tell you this was a mandatory second step. You are making the mistake of thinking the 2nd step would have been just as effective without the first step. The whole thing with this is you end up with bacteria in your small intestine which aren't supposed to be there. With the correct diet they don't come back, but the diet alone can't necessarily make them go away, once the bacteria is in your small intestine they have access to the carbohydrates you're eating.

Quote:
Also, Xifaxin is stupid expensive and most health insurances do not pay for it.
Mine did.. but I remember it was crazy expensive.

Quote:
Oh yeah, I second the high end probiotics along with this.
Did your doctor tell you to do this? I am just curious since you basically had the same treatment as I did but you came out of it thinking the doctor was bad whereas I came out thinking the doctor did the right thing and got me on the path to healing. My doctor absolutely told me to start taking the probiotics because she had prescribed the antibiotics.

Quote:
One more thought. I agree that cycling does make this problem worse. Eating a bunch of simple sugars during and after exercise while putting out an effort. I discovered that I needed products that were free of maltodextrin and also fructose. Fructose is very acidic.
Giving up maltodextrin and fructose based drinks, gels and bars helped me too.
Recovery food too- I used to have a smoothie after riding with more maltodextrin, fruit and some protein- the fruit and maltodextrin part was a very bad choice.
Yah I'm much more careful.. I mostly drink water and 0-calorie/low calorie electrolyte drinks now, and eat real food along with it on longer rides.

Two products I really think messed me up were endurox (lots of fructose + maltodextrin IIRC) and Accelerade with "Herbal Lift". The "Herbal Lift" was caffeine..

Last edited by benb; 04-23-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:50 PM

Xifaxin

Xifaxin messed me up- It was not the 1st step.
My bacteria was just as bad after 2 rounds of Xifaxin.
I would never recommend this treatment to anyone.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:55 PM

It might be a waste to do this during the antibiotic cycle, as it's going to kill everything. After the fact, is when we'll probably ramp up on these highly cultured foods. Although the fear with some of them is that a lot of the bacterias feed off the sugars and that's part of the thing to avoid. This diet is like threading a damn needle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow View Post
I wonder if probiotics (found in Kefir, Kombucha or elsewhere) would help?

Best of luck
I think her vit. D levels are ok. It hasn't been as cloudy this winter (if you can even call it that), we tend to eat a fair amount of healthy foods with some supplements (such as vit. D) to help combat that.... as well as everything else!
Quote:
Ever get your vitamin D levels checked?
Many people north of say SF Bay area have vitamin D deficiency in the winter months.
It can cause many of the same symptoms that you speak of.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:58 PM

Insurance coverage and price

My wife has pretty killer insurance through her step-mother. It was covered and we paid next to nothing for it ($10 for a ten day supply). Granted, we can only get it at the one and only CVS in town (opposite side of town we live on to boot).

Old 04-23-2015, 05:27 PM

Antibiotic

What antibiotic is it? Usually Xifaxin is a longer course.

I would still consider supplementing vitamin D- you live far enough north.
Look up symptoms of vitamin D deficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
My wife has pretty killer insurance through her step-mother. It was covered and we paid next to nothing for it ($10 for a ten day supply). Granted, we can only get it at the one and only CVS in town (opposite side of town we live on to boot).
Old 04-23-2015, 09:15 PM

OT: SIBO diagnoses

Quote:
What antibiotic is it? Usually Xifaxin is a longer course.

I would still consider supplementing vitamin D- you live far enough north.
Look up symptoms of vitamin D deficiency.
I'll read up more on the vit. D. It's Xifaxan. The 10 day course was the longer of the two options.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:19 PM

if it is gut related, maybe fecal transplant? (I think that is what it is called) although only used currently for extreme cases of IBS and such (don't have all the facts straight) but the research looks pretty interesting
Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworcester View Post
if it is gut related, maybe fecal transplant? (I think that is what it is called) although only used currently for extreme cases of IBS and such (don't have all the facts straight) but the research looks pretty interesting
There was a story about this a while back in the NYT. Not the most pleasant of things to read about, but it worked wonders for some folks.

Last edited by Louis; 04-23-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:32 PM

Xifaxin

I recall my courses being double that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
I'll read up more on the vit. D. It's Xifaxan. The 10 day
course was the longer of the two options.