Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2015, 07:18 PM

Thank you forumites for the Veloflex referral

Someone posted a PSA a few weeks back regarding a sale on Veloflex Corsa tires. At $29 each, I figured I would try a set.

I've ridden numerous tire brands and models over the years. For the most part, I don't notice a whole lot of difference in ride quality from one tire to the next. Most of what I buy is in the same price and/or quality range and they feel about the same.

I noticed a huge difference on the Veloflex tires. I even rode at about 5 to 10 psi above normal and the felt smooth and comfortable. So smooth, in fact, that I am spending time here raving about it.

I spent almost 5 hours on them on Sunday. I may be a convert.

I'm not sure about how they will wear, but I suspect that they will wear similarly to the Vittoria's I just took off.

Thanks again folks for the heads up.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:30 PM
Lanterne rouge

I am a huge Veloflex fan. They dont wear like a Conti but they dont ride like a truck tire either.
I am happy with Vittoria Pave also for when the roads are crap.
They are both really nice tires.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:39 PM

veloflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Someone posted a PSA a few weeks back regarding a sale on Veloflex Corsa tires. At $29 each, I figured I would try a set.

I've ridden numerous tire brands and models over the years. For the most part, I don't notice a whole lot of difference in ride quality from one tire to the next. Most of what I buy is in the same price and/or quality range and they feel about the same.

I noticed a huge difference on the Veloflex tires. I even rode at about 5 to 10 psi above normal and the felt smooth and comfortable. So smooth, in fact, that I am spending time here raving about it.

I spent almost 5 hours on them on Sunday. I may be a convert.

I'm not sure about how they will wear, but I suspect that they will wear similarly to the Vittoria's I just took off.

Thanks again folks for the heads up.
my thanks also
killer deal
i got the 25c Corsas this time
like riding on a cloud
single best improvement in ride quality of any bike f
best bang for buck
I got 4 tires
wish I got 20
they are that good
Old 04-14-2015, 09:39 PM
extremely tall

Ok, I'll be that guy:

What is their actual size/width on a 23mm rim? I'm A big dude; I ride Michelin prorace 25s on a couple of bikes, but they measure ~27.5 on a 23mm rim. If the Veloflex are similar, I'd love to try them.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
Ok, I'll be that guy:

What is their actual size/width on a 23mm rim? I'm A big dude; I ride Michelin prorace 25s on a couple of bikes, but they measure ~27.5 on a 23mm rim. If the Veloflex are similar, I'd love to try them.
I've only ridden 23's on sub 20mm rims and they were definitely on the smaller side of things, too small in fact, that was my only gripe with em. they might fill out on a wider rim though, can't say for sure.

that said, you can't really go wrong with 25c tires on a wide rim. best balance of ride quality, comfort, and speed that I've experienced.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 PM

Paired with latex tubes, they ride like a dream in the clouds. Unfortunately I only get maybe 1500mi out of the rear before I start flatting like crazy around here, so I'm back on michelin krylions. The veloflexes were a bit narrower than 25 on regular rims for me.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:33 AM

Aren't they just the greatest! Their tubulars ride even better

Those clinchers are the very closest you can get if not on parallel with descent tubulars. They are great and they don't break the bank either.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:40 AM

The Manufacturers don't recommended it

Not a good idea to mount "23" or "25" Veloflex (or Challenge) open tubulars on wide rims. On 23mm rims the margin for error is very small and on 25mm plus rims they will almost certainly blow off. In my small sample set of 5 riders, we're 5 for 5. YMMV

They do ride great doe

http://www.challengetech.it/info/faq/en

DOES IT MATTER HOW WIDE THE RIMS ARE THAT I USE WITH MY OPEN TUBULARS?
Yes, you need to be careful of how you pair tires and rims! As wider rims gain popularity, the industry is forgetting the compatibility standards and education is lacking about pairing rims and tires. We suggest following ETRTO guidelines:

Last edited by beeatnik; 04-15-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Well...I have had zero issues with Master/Corsa 23s and 25s and Velocity A23s...several sets.

I run 105F/110R in most cases...FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Not a good idea to mount "23" or "25" Veloflex (or Challenge) open tubulars on wide rims. On 23mm rims the margin for error is very small and on 25mm plus rims they will almost certainly blow off. In my small sample set of 5 riders, we're 5 for 5. YMMV

They do ride great doe

Yes, you need to be careful of how you pair tires and rims! As wider rims gain popularity, the industry is forgetting the compatibility standards and education is lacking about pairing rims and tires. We suggest following ETRTO guidelines:

Old 04-16-2015, 06:01 AM

Best clinchers made, period. Ime run slightly smaller than labeled. Wear varies, but ya not gonna get 3K miles on 'em, even the front. I average 1500 on the rear. Don't care, won't buy anything else. Gonna run Veloflex on my first ever set of tubulars. Can't wait.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

They do ride great doe

So on a A23, I can't run anything smaller than a 37?? Not really true. 25-32 work fine w/o anything blowing off. Besides from Challenge tires, who make some of the crappiest bike tires in existence, the chart is a 'little' pessimistic'..IMHO.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:51 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:

They do ride great doe

Yeah, That chart is BS. I have never, never blown a tire off a Archetype or Pacenti 23mm rim. For the record, I run 25MM Veloflex Corsas with latex tubes. They are smmmmmmmmoooooooth.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 AM

Yeah, I have a hard time buying that chart. That said, if we're talking anecdotes here, I have raced on a Veloflex clincher twice, and flatted out both times.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:48 AM

What about trying to leverage a bulk deal for forumites on these via the same vendor? Would that be feasible, or is that overstepping things a bit?
Old 04-16-2015, 01:33 PM

There are probably 10 guys in all of LA who ride these tires and they've blown off 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
Yeah, That chart is BS. I have never, never blown a tire off a Archetype or Pacenti 23mm rim. For the record, I run 25MM Veloflex Corsas with latex tubes. They are smmmmmmmmoooooooth.
The chart isn't science (well, it kinda is) but cautionary. Bottom line for me is that there is definitely a high failure rate. Never heard of or seen a Conti blow off a rim and neither have all the wrenches I've asked in the LA area. And, yet, the 4 guys I know who have used Veloflex (one Challenge) on wide rims (and in fairness, one rim was extra wide 27) have all had them blow off. Another, um, data point. All these tires were installed by pro mechanics as the owners ride very expensive bikes and their shops treat them like royalty. When I mounted 25s on my archetypes, I installed the rear tire and a UBI/Shimano/Santa Monica College/ETC certified wrench buddy did the front wheel. We spent about 10 min making sure we wouldn't pinch a tube. I went out for a shakedown ride and a minute later, the front tire blew off the rim. Anyway, even if the failure rate is .05 it's not worth the risk.