Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2015, 07:55 AM
Administrator

UCI announces summer disc brake testing in peloton

Looks like disc brakes will be in the pro peloton soon...

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) and the World Federation of the Sporting Goods Industry (WFSGI) have announce that tests will begin this season on the use of disc brakes in professional road racing following numerous consultations with different stakeholders, with the new braking system set for complete introduction in the future.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-...sional-peloton
Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Looks like disc brakes will be in the pro peloton soon...

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) and the World Federation of the Sporting Goods Industry (WFSGI) have announce that tests will begin this season on the use of disc brakes in professional road racing following numerous consultations with different stakeholders, with the new braking system set for complete introduction in the future.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-...sional-peloton
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...road-racing-is

It's a gonna happen, for good or ill.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:12 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

Another rule change at the behest of the parts manufacturers; "Hey, we need folks to think they need to buy something new...from us!"
Can't you just smell the profits?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:

It's funny, where it says "technical development" I read "we want to sell all sorts of new crap"

Weird.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:21 AM

It'll save a few crashes due to improved braking capabilities.

Then again I wonder if there is any risk of extra injury in the case of giant crashes (pile-ups).

Hard to see it changing the outcome of many races, although maybe.

You gotta be kidding if you think this is worse than electronic shifting.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Another rule change at the behest of the parts manufacturers; "Hey, we need folks to think they need to buy something new...from us!"
Can't you just smell the profits?
I always heard that Cinelli Spinacchi's were made illegal cuz Cinelli didn't grease the palms of the UCI 'enough'...you can bet there are some 'deals' being made from at least 2 big manufacturers.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I always heard that Cinelli Spinacchi's were made illegal cuz Cinelli didn't grease the palms of the UCI 'enough'...you can bet there are some 'deals' being made from at least 2 big manufacturers.
Interesting comment about the Spinachi's -- I had some of these back in the day, and I really like them.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:41 AM

It's a bit cynical to say this is only about profits.

I've been in cycling since the early 1980s. During that time we've seen carbon fiber bikes come of age (they first were available about when I started riding), we've seen clipless pedals become so ubiquitous that most riders wouldn't know what to do if they saw clips and straps today. We've seen friction shifters give way to indexed shifting. We've seen indexed downtube shifting give way to handlebar mounted, brake/shift levers. We've seen 6-speed freewheels give way to 11-speed cassettes. We've got electric shifting now and it seems to work pretty well.

Let's see now......

Carbon isn't unsafe. I remember people saying it would break without warning and that shards of carbon would impale riders.

People were skeptical of clipless pedals. Nowadays knee issues and foot problems are largely gone. They were common before good pedals and shoes came out.

Click shifting? People were worried it wouldn't work if a rider crashed and the derailleur got bent. Seems to work just fine most of the time.

Brake/Shift levers? Most riders today wouldn't know how to shift a downtube mounted shifter, let alone a friction shifter.

Disc brakes are just an evolution of technology and will likely surpass rim brakes by so much that in a few years people will wonder why it took so freaking long to adopt this technology.

I think it's still in its infancy and will make the early clipless pedals look elegant. It's coming and that's a good thing in my view.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Well, one really. SRAM isn't really a player in European team sponsorship anymore, at least at the WorldTour level.

Very curious to see how this goes.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:43 AM

That's why I liked my 6500 and 6600 shifters. I grabbed the shifter cables for a more aero profile. Perfectly legal.

Quote:
Old 04-14-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Interesting comment about the Spinachi's -- I had some of these back in the day, and I really like them.
I loved the similar Scott Rakes. They seemed to be much safer that bar extensions protruding forward from bars. Too bad they fell out of favor.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
It'll save a few crashes due to improved braking capabilities.

Then again I wonder if there is any risk of extra injury in the case of giant crashes (pile-ups).

Hard to see it changing the outcome of many races, although maybe.

You gotta be kidding if you think this is worse than electronic shifting.
It'll cause a few because of wee tire patch and really strong brakes.

The long pole in the tent is lack of standardization. Rotor size, caliper placement, axle 'standards' along with rear triangle spacing. I suppose this will be made standard but neutral wheel support is going to be a challenge. I seldom put a different wheel into a MTB that didn't require a caliper adjustment.

Heat disapation, less fluid, smaller calipers, enclosed, small reservoirs, still an issue. Gonna be interesting, gonna be more than a few bike tosses.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:11 AM

With all of the above examples other than the carbon frame, an existing frame can be upgraded with the technology. Not true with discs. A new frame, fork, and wheels are required. It's a major disruption and expense. If it goes like cross, expect 4-5 years of adoption and mixed technologies in the field.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Classics Fan

"If only I had some disc brakes, I could win more races." said no one, ever.

I don't really care at this point. The equipment at the pro level has very little resemblance to what I ride. If they want to use disc brakes and sell some more bikes for their sponsors, I guess that is cool. It will be interesting to watch the wheel changes (especially with neutral service). Maybe they can start riding tubeless with sealant and totally obviate the need for wheel changes.

As I understand it, the heavier disc set up means that manufacturers could potentially do some stuff in other parts of the bike to lighten it, and remain under the limit. Again, see my comments above about how equipment at the pro level has very little resemblance to what I ride.

The one thing that I appreciate is the complete transparency that the article takes saying this is both the manufacturers and the UCI attemping to sell more bikes. I can get behind that statement much easier than buying into the idea that the UCI cares about innovation or that disc brakes will bring huge improvements to how humans are able to ride bicycles.

I have two hopes. 1. that no one's calf is sliced off by one of these things and 2. that no rider or team is pressured into using it by their sponsor, but rather the decision is based on the merits of the equipment. A third and distant hope is that disc brakes evolve into hubs with outboard blades so that races become more like the Chariot Race from Ben Hur. That, combined with live on-bike camera footage would really drive up the ratings.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
It'll cause a few because of wee tire patch and really strong brakes.

The long pole in the tent is lack of standardization. Rotor size, caliper placement, axle 'standards' along with rear triangle spacing. I suppose this will be made standard but neutral wheel support is going to be a challenge. I seldom put a different wheel into a MTB that didn't require a caliper adjustment.

Heat disapation, less fluid, smaller calipers, enclosed, small reservoirs, still an issue. Gonna be interesting, gonna be more than a few bike tosses.
Peter, I agree with everything else you said. I can't tell if you're joking though about the standardization. I have seen no evidence to support the idea that this industry is interested in agreeing on a standard ANYTHING.

God help us if bottom brackets or headsets had to be replaced during races.