Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 PM

IF steel crown jewel vs. cervelo r3

I bought a Cervelo R3 in 2008. It was my dream ride and is a great bike. Recently, have been intrigued by other bike materials, bought a Strong TI bike that I love. I know they are probably apples and oranges, but would I notice much difference between a steel IF crown jewel and a R3? They have similar geometries in this case, steel IF has a steel fork. Is it worth changing bikes? I know folks generally say buy what you like but....
Thank you.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Epic=No Smiles

If all my riding were <50 mile races or spirited group rides, I might prefer the Cervelo. For any other usage, IF all the way.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
If all my riding were <50 mile races or spirited group rides, I might prefer the Cervelo. For any other usage, IF all the way.
Great point, if I'm a middle of the pack occasional racer, am I giving up much racing the Strong TI or IF instead of the R3? The Strong was built by Carl Strong to be in his opinion, a great stage race bike.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:57 PM

You have what we call a 'Rich man's problem'. I have a Cervelo S1 and a Ottrot. I like both, but mine are apples to oranges. All 3 bikes you mention are very nice. Each will handle differently and feel different. My guess is the steel fork on the IF will make the bike feel more connected to the road which you may like.

As far as making a difference racing? If you have to ask, then the answer is no probably not enough to matter.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 PM

Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBear View Post
I know they are probably apples and oranges, but would I notice much difference between a steel IF crown jewel and a R3? .
Yes, you will, and you will likely get addicted to both. I split my miles evenly between my Merckx Century TSX and my Cervelo R5. I just love the solid yet lively feel of steel especially on long rolling rides, while the R5 is super light and very nimble.

Reward yourself and figure out a way to make both happen.

Lou
Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 PM

I don't know much about Cervelo, but do know after a couple of centuries on a carbon frame (Ridley) and a steel frame (Serotta), I felt much better after riding the Serotta.

As far as all-out racing goes, if the frames you refer to have similar geometries and comparable weight, use the Cervelo. It would be a shame to beat up a Crown Jewel racing it. Those are very nice frames.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post
Yes, you will, and you will likely get addicted to both. I split my miles evenly between my Merckx Century TSX and my Cervelo R5. I just love the solid yet lively feel of steel especially on long rolling rides, while the R5 is super light and very nimble.

Reward yourself and figure out a way to make both happen.

Lou
Thanks for the perspective. I have liked the R3 and it's not worth that much on the resale market, so not really worth selling. It doesn't fit me as well as the Strong and the potential IF but is quite comfortable and fast. The Strong though is more comfortable, to the degree that I was looking for bumps in the road during the first few rides on it as I was amazed at the ride-not much slower than the R3 either.
Haven't ridden steel much since a low end late 90's Casati, so that's why I have questions.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Haven't ridden steel much since a low end late 90's Casati, so that's why I have questions.
Steel has changed some since then. Have you seen IF's SSR frame (stainless steel). That's also nice. So is that Factory Lightweight, for that matter.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 PM

Have seen both and look super sweet. Have not ridden either and probably should....
Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 AM

Easter Sunday climb on my CrownJ going on 14 years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hd_montseny.jpg (45.9 KB, 202 views)
Old 04-03-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
Easter Sunday climb on my CrownJ going on 14 years
Nice. Where are you riding here?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadian View Post
Nice. Where are you riding here?
Montseny about 70km outside of Barcelona - this was a 16km climb the summit was enshrouded in fog
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Great point, if I'm a middle of the pack occasional racer, am I giving up much racing the Strong TI or IF instead of the R3? The Strong was built by Carl Strong to be in his opinion, a great stage race bike.
Yer kidding, right?

BTW-gotta train on that bike too. Lifetime bike, last forever, work well, ride well. Look great, not gonna die inna crash..get a metal bike. You won't be giving up anything, at all, nada, zip, zilch. If you are worried about 'giving something up', get a pair of 1100 gram carbon tubulars to race on.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 AM

Thank you. The way I see it is the TI bike is a lifetime bike due to material and perfect fit. Just looking for a reason to keep a CF bike as I can get the IF on the used market for a very good price. There have been a bunch of great ones on this forum. I got my Strong from a forum member and my local fitter could not believe it was not custom for me, it was that dead on in fit. Thanks for the wheel suggestion.