Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . but several hundred dollars worth of difference? Not for me.

BBD

Last edited by nahtnoj; 03-30-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: nevermind
Old 03-30-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondrunk View Post
OK.....my 7 cents....

If you are talking -value-, it is always hard to make an argument for Oakleys. I agree that a $15 pair of glasses from any department store will work.
But I gotta say, I've tried so many brands/models. Giro, RP, Briko, Nike, Specialized, Tifosi, Smith...
None of them have ever compared to Oakley in terms of fit and quality IMHO. Not even close.
Believe me, it kills me to drop 300 on a pair, but if I want to wear what truly feels and fits the best it is Oakley.
I've owned at least 6 or 7 pair (radars, M-frames, Gascan, Sub zeros, scars, etc) and all were great quality. Don't know why, but Oakley somehow produces a better product.

We could all be riding walmart bikes too for the value....
X2

My casual Oakleys ($180) have been one of the best purchases I've ever made. They are going on 5 years of nearly daily use. 3 of those summers they spent a lot of time in hay fields working in the dirt and dust underneath equipment. They most certainly saved my eyes.

After 5 years, they have two very small scratches that don't effect performance and the earpieces fell apart but Oakley replaced them 100% free of charge.

The glasses are still going strong but I'm close to buying another pair before they discontinue them on me.

Edit:did I mention they fit great and the lenses work in most lighting conditions?

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 03-30-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:51 PM

After making the post above I went over to oakley and found out they had been discontinued. Lots of searching revealed one vendor that claimed to have one pair (differ color) in stock. I sure hope their inventory is correct...
Old 03-31-2013, 01:13 PM
PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
$169?? And the OP implies that's some sort of great deal...YGBSM..I'm with ya, not gonna pay $169 for sunglasses.

I'll spend my $169 on 3 tires, thanks.
Well, a lot of people would think 169 is a lot for 3 tires is CRAZY when you can buy 3 clincher tires of xxx brand for $75. Or three vittoria Rally tubies for $55. Hey, they'll get the job done. Why on earth would I spend 169 on tires??!!? That's crazy talk!
Oh, and Bumblebeedave, that Serotta you ride.......talk about overpriced items...a few tubes welded together....I could have found you something that would have gotten the job done for less than 1/5th the price.

Next up......isn't Assos clothing great?!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:18 PM

I love my Oakley transitions and polarized radars. I get a deal, but it seems the more I pay for glasses the longer I have them and the better I take care of them. I would never use anything but radars (cheaper led non polarized) for Mtb they fit awesome.

Last edited by Mikej; 03-31-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:09 PM

I have a big head. Finding helmets and sunglasses is a major pain in the rear, and so far Oakley is the only thing that fits well for all day rides, so I'll happily pay the price. I wore glasses for 20 years before getting contact lenses, so I'm good about taking care of them (not dropping, etc.). My 2 year old Jawbones are as good as new.

That being said a friend of mine got a pair of the fake jawbones. Frames looks to be identical (and doesn't have the annoying creak mine has), but lenses are noticeably cheaper. Not 100% sure anymore (it was a while ago), but I think the lenses did fit from one to the other FWIW.