Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 AM

Dynamo taillight - recommendations?

I've got a Lumotec IQ-X on order and want to pick up a dynamo powered taillight to go with it. What's the Dinotte of the dynamo taillight world? Is there one? Any recommendations for a good one?

I also have a Supernova E3 Triple 2 light with matching taillight, but I don't think that's compatible with the IQ-X.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:36 AM

http://en.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-ru...line-plus.html
Old 01-31-2019, 03:58 AM

I’m perfectly happy with the Toplight Line Small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2019, 05:32 AM

The comparison to a Dinotte is not realistic. To me, they are for different purposes. A Dinotte has massive power to make a good daytime light that wakes the texters from their state of distraction. I find that mine is way too bright for nighttime use, even on the lowest setting (non blinking of course).

All dyno tail lights are much weaker and are only useful at night. In fact they are perfect for that. I have a chainstay mount B+M Secula. I don't have a rack to mount to, so some of the bigger B+M lights aren't really an option.

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 01-31-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
The comparison to a Dinotte is not realistic. To me, they are for different purposes. A Dinotte has massive power to make a good daytime light that wakes the texters from their state of distraction. I find that mine is way too bright for nighttime use, even on the lowest setting (non blinking of course).

All dyno tail lights are much weaker and are only useful at night. In fact they are perfect for that. I have a chainstay mount B+M Secula. I don't have a rack to mount to, so some of the bigger B+M lights aren't really an option.
Yeah, I meant which dynamo tail light is the "Dinotte" of dynamo tail lights (i.e. upper tier, top notch, etc.), not which dynamo tail light is as bright as a Dinotte.

Thanks for all the input. I don't have a rack on the bike so it sounds like the Secula Plus may be a good option. It will be run along with a batter powered light (Dinotte, actually) with the purpose being that if for some reason the battery light were to die I wouldn't be left lightless.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd15 View Post
Yeah, I meant which dynamo tail light is the "Dinotte" of dynamo tail lights (i.e. upper tier, top notch, etc.), not which dynamo tail light is as bright as a Dinotte.
I see. Sorry about that.

Unfortunately, there is no good comparison to Dinotte on that front either. Dinotte lights are very good in both their performance and quality of construction / durability. There aren't really any dyno tail lights like that. You have those that are built well (Supernova) that are mediocre performers, and B+M lights which perform well, but are generally a bit on the chinzy side (lots of plastic that would shatter if you dropped it). At least the B+M lights aren't too terribly expensive.

I don't know if any dyno tail lights that match the Dinotte combination of rock solid construction and high performance.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
B+M lights which perform well, but are generally a bit on the chinzy side (lots of plastic that would shatter if you dropped it). At least the B+M lights aren't too terribly expensive.
That's true of some of the B+M lights, but I have to put a good word in here for the IQ-X -- it's well made (of metal) and I also like the mount, because you can hack it into a good fender-mount.

I upgraded to the IQ-X from an Eyc. I definitely agree with your assessment wrt to the Eyc; the Eyc (unlike the IQ-X) also isn't really bright enough for dark/rural settings.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efixler View Post
That's true of some of the B+M lights, but I have to put a good word in here for the IQ-X -- it's well made (of metal) and I also like the mount, because you can hack it into a good fender-mount.

I upgraded to the IQ-X from an Eyc. I definitely agree with your assessment wrt to the Eyc; the Eyc (unlike the IQ-X) also isn't really bright enough for dark/rural settings.
Agreed. But specifically when it comes to tailights, options are poorer.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I see. Sorry about that.

Unfortunately, there is no good comparison to Dinotte on that front either. Dinotte lights are very good in both their performance and quality of construction / durability. There aren't really any dyno tail lights like that. You have those that are built well (Supernova) that are mediocre performers, and B+M lights which perform well, but are generally a bit on the chinzy side (lots of plastic that would shatter if you dropped it). At least the B+M lights aren't too terribly expensive.

I don't know if any dyno tail lights that match the Dinotte combination of rock solid construction and high performance.
That's kind of the feeling I've had. That should be ok for my purposes, I think.

I'm my Googling I did come across someone saying you can get an ac/dc converter and run the Supernova tail light with a non-Supernova headlight.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:54 PM
Randomhead

it's too bad nobody makes a high-end taillight. Well, Schmidt charges enough that their taillight has to be considered high-end. I would really like to see one at night, the fender mount looks really nice. For $100, it better be good.

Like I said up-thread, the supernova taillight is really bright. So bright I wonder if that's why the headlight is so dim. But I don't think I would use it with another brand.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efixler View Post
I’m perfectly happy with the Toplight Line Small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you post a photo of your installation? Thanks!

There is a dearth of quality dynamo taillights in the business.

I did once see a guy riding with a Supernova taillight and I remember seeing it from quite a ways back. It seemed very nice but I think it must be run with the Supernova headlight and cannot be run with other brands.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
There is a dearth of quality dynamo taillights in the business.
There are only so many lumens you can generate with 0.6W.

I think my Secula is pretty good for nightime use. The B+M lights try to maximize conspicuity by spreading the light generated over a large area. You don't need a lot of light intensity (lux) for conspicuity at night, and there is a theory that bigger and no so piercing is actually better than very bright and concentrated. So more like B+M Topline (big and diffuse / low lux) instead of Supernova (small and concentrated / high lux).

Old 01-31-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
There are only so many lumens you can generate with 0.6W.
This is true, but the ones I have seen have been pretty good. I've not yet seen a Secula on the road but a buddy has its cousin and it's pretty decent. And I saw the one I linked in use on the road and it was clearly visible from a block back in the fog. The lens the makers use makes a big difference.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:40 AM
ergottWheels

The advantage of something like the Toplite is it's size makes it easier for motorists and others to make out what you are and how fast they are coming up to you. Pinpoint light sources make it very difficult to judge it's distance from viewer. I notice it all the time when I'm driving. Super bright lights are just as annoying as someone driving towards you with their brights on.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Can you post a photo of your installation? Thanks!

I use these straps (that came with the light) to mount on this rack, but if your rack has a standard taillight mounting thing you can screw directly into that.

The Secula looks good if you don't have a rack.

The Supernovas taillights don't work with Edelux headlights because the Supernovas pass AC direct from the dynamo to the taillight, whereas other lights pass DC current (with a capacitor inline for the standlight function) back to the taillight.