Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 12-17-2019, 01:35 PM

Loops/routes near San Antonio?

Hey y'all,

I'm gonna be in San Antonio for the holidays and want to get a few big rides (up to a century) in. I'll have 700x32s and fenders so some chill dirt/gravel would be great.

Any particularly good routes/loops/roads would be appreciated! The only other destinations I may have are Fredricksburg and/or Uvalde so routes from SA to those would be great.

Dan
Old 12-24-2019, 10:04 AM

bump - is this the right place for this question?
Old 12-24-2019, 10:58 AM

Hey Dan,

It looks like you're going to have some great weather riding for the next few days in SA. What part of town are you staying in?

Unfortunately, I can't help you with any gravel suggestions. However, there are a number of interesting options for you. Here are a couple:
  • Willow City Loop in Fredericksburg if you're willing to make the drive. Great little town and a nice, scenic route.
  • Mission Trails Bike Paths - these provide a nice option for incity riding they'll also get you further out of town as well.
  • Government Canyon State Natural Area - This is on the NW side of town and is a solid MTB spot. However, there are numerous trails and and access roads that may fit what you're looking for.

Also, here are a couple of local cycling resources that may be worth looking at:
  • Helotes Bike Shop - Another cool one to check out if you're out that way toward Government Canyon. Lot's of cool, old stuff in the shop

Anyway, have fun and be safe!

Texbike
Old 01-06-2020, 12:13 PM

Thanks, Tex! I ended up doing a big loop from Blanco and Devil's Backbone from New Braunfels.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proletariandan View Post
Hey y'all,

I'm gonna be in San Antonio for the holidays and want to get a few big rides (up to a century) in. I'll have 700x32s and fenders so some chill dirt/gravel would be great.

Any particularly good routes/loops/roads would be appreciated! The only other destinations I may have are Fredricksburg and/or Uvalde so routes from SA to those would be great.

Dan

Just seeing this now and maybe too late but I recently did three gravel routes from the Bandera, Pipe Creek area. All were very good routes with a mix of gravel and pavement. If you’re interested I could post ridewithgps links.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram