Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 12-29-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Here's an Onesto Terraplane headed to the mountain state of Idaho.
The color coordination between the frame, components, wheels is great on this one, even with the bulbous enve stem
Old 01-08-2018, 02:15 PM

The first Onesto of 2018 is ready for the final glass bead finish and then will head off to Joe Bell's for some painted accents.

dave

Old 01-08-2018, 03:36 PM

Those barrel adjusters are things of exquisite beauty.

Quote:
The first Onesto of 2018 is ready for the final glass bead finish and then will head off to Joe Bell's for some painted accents.

dave

Old 01-08-2018, 03:50 PM

Dave -- Great work as always! BTW, I was curious if the area around your logo on the downtube is actually darker than the rest of the frame, or is this just the lighting?
Old 01-08-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Dave -- Great work as always! BTW, I was curious if the area around your logo on the downtube is actually darker than the rest of the frame, or is this just the lighting?
Good eye - the area on the down and seat tubes that get the logos are highly polished and in the right light they look darker of even black compared to the brushed finish nearby.

Once the frame gets its bead blast finish the yellow masking comes off leaving a polished logo and the rest of the frame has a frosted beer mug look.

dave
Old 01-08-2018, 04:35 PM

Dave -- Thanks for the explanation. I'd be interested to seeing the finished product when this comes back from being bead blasted.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:12 PM

Over the last 15 years I've never built two Kirks that are the same as each other. That said most start the same way - lug prep and tube inspection. I like the feeling of getting things prepped and laid out....it's so full of potential and so rewarding when the miscellaneous stuff on the bench turns into a bike that will make its owner smile for decades to come.

dave

Last edited by David Kirk; 01-11-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:53 PM

Here's a set of Triple F dropouts in a stainless Onesto fresh from being frosted. The very low winter sun streams across my shop this time of year and really lights things up.

dave

Old 01-15-2018, 02:30 PM

Onesto, Just Awesome

[QUOTE=David Kirk;2291579]The first Onesto of 2018 is ready for the final glass bead finish and then will head off to Joe Bell's for some painted accents.

dave

Dave, always been a fan of your work and for steel, stainless has a special place in my heart.

Question: for stainless I prefer the brushed, like the pre glass bead pictures above. I know it's more work to hand brush the whole frame and fork versus bead blasting, but that brushed look is just awesome! Is brushed an option or is the Onesto only available in the frosted finish?
Old 01-15-2018, 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=Burnette;2295912]
Quote:

dave

Dave, always been a fan of your work and for steel, stainless has a special place in my heart.

Question: for stainless I prefer the brushed, like the pre glass bead pictures above. I know it's more work to hand brush the whole frame and fork versus bead blasting, but that brushed look is just awesome! Is brushed an option or is the Onesto only available in the frosted finish?

I hear you...

I personally prefer the look of the frosted finish better and that is one of the driving factors. I have had two people request that I flip the finish (frosted logos and brushed overall instead of polished logos and frosted overall) and the problem is twofold. First is that the amount of time it takes to give a brushed finish in every nook and cranny is about double what the frosted finish takes and that ends up adding substantially to the cost......and secondly the contrast between the brushed overall finish and the frosted logos isn't very strong and this means the logos are super subtle and in low light they really can't be seen. The way to make it better would be to very brightly polish the entire frame and frost the logos but that amount of time makes the brushed look like nothing.

dave
Old 01-15-2018, 03:42 PM

Thanks

Thanks Dave, it's a super nice looking frame either way. I like everything about it, even the head badge.