Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 12:31 PM

I'm not gonna lie, watching Riis on the Hautacam or Ulrich on the Arcalis or Pantani on Ventoux was a lot of fun. Doped to the gills, but a lot of fun.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:36 PM

It's So Ture

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I'm not gonna lie, watching Riis on the Hautacam or Ulrich on the Arcalis or Pantani on Ventoux was a lot of fun. Doped to the gills, but a lot of fun.
It so was! I remember trying to schedule stuff around the tour so I wouldn't miss stages. The battles they had were epic. Doped yes, but the strategy, the tactics and attacks, those guys laid it all n the line. It was a fight, a battle.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:47 PM

“This is one yellow jersey that will stand the test of time."
- Chris Froome, Podium Speech, Champs Elysee, 2015

Yeah, right. Sure, Chris, we believe you. Uh huh.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
The truth from my fav cycling blog - Seth

https://southbaycycling.com/2017/12/...roomes-doping/
that was really good. but the question I have is: if Froome typically takes salbutamol over the legal limit, how did he screw up this time? i.e. how does that all work? how long does it take to get out of one's system? did he simply get the timing/dosage wrong?

the point of view form that blog totally makes sense, and I'm not doubting it. but it's also possible it could be as simple as the below VeloNews article claims: he got sick, took over the limit (via non-inhalation methods) to curb it, got popped, can't admit to violating rules or he'll lose it all.

http://www.velonews.com/2018/01/comm...ol-test_454985
Old 01-18-2018, 01:15 PM

Very interesting article indeed, I didn't know about the oral or IV versions of the drug. The IV version was apparently previously used during labor (pregnancy).

Now if according to him you need to take bigger oral/iv doses for doping what's up with all the lower level cyclists seemingly getting an EIA diagnosis to get an inhaler? If you need to take really high oral/iv doses for the muscle effects are some of these guys taking it and not getting any benefit?

Of course the idea it spares muscle when you lose fat is also "peloton knowledge" it seems, it doesn't sound like that usage was ever proven in studies.

The controversial studies around large oral doses seem to have more to with an effect on peak power than muscle:fat sparing but maybe the power increases could be explained by the muscle:fat effects.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
“This is one yellow jersey that will stand the test of time."
- Chris Froome, Podium Speech, Champs Elysee, 2015

Yeah, right. Sure, Chris, we believe you. Uh huh.
That's a good one.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Now if according to him you need to take bigger oral/iv doses for doping what's up with all the lower level cyclists seemingly getting an EIA diagnosis to get an inhaler? If you need to take really high oral/iv doses for the muscle effects are some of these guys taking it and not getting any benefit?
guessing you take the high dose after competition (and being tested), it helps you recover overnight, when you're tested the next day, levels are back to what's normal for someone using an inhaler.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Riding Along

Yup, pro cycling is an entertainment business. Fun to watch but no one should expect that it is anything else. Sagan is perfect for the sport in terms of providing entertainment on and off the bike. Froome not so much. The doping thing at sky was always a question of what not if. However, I have to say the crazy kidney thing is providing some entertainment. It is so comical and if they think that anyone might take them seriously especially after the litany of crazy excuses from the past they are deluded and that in its self is funny.

All of these things are part and parcel of all professional sports entertainment. Cycling just airs its dirty laundry in spectacular ways.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Serotta Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
that was really good. but the question I have is: if Froome typically takes salbutamol over the legal limit, how did he screw up this time? i.e. how does that all work? how long does it take to get out of one's system? did he simply get the timing/dosage wrong?

the point of view form that blog totally makes sense, and I'm not doubting it. but it's also possible it could be as simple as the below VeloNews article claims: he got sick, took over the limit (via non-inhalation methods) to curb it, got popped, can't admit to violating rules or he'll lose it all.

http://www.velonews.com/2018/01/comm...ol-test_454985
Or maybe, just a guess, going into that big mountain stage he may have had a blood 'freshening up' the night before and that contained the drug. Then he added to it with a 'normal' dose and voila you have a problem.

Just a guess.

Mark
Old 01-20-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Yup, pro cycling is an entertainment business. Fun to watch but no one should expect that it is anything else. Sagan is perfect for the sport in terms of providing entertainment on and off the bike. Froome not so much. The doping thing at sky was always a question of what not if. However, I have to say the crazy kidney thing is providing some entertainment. It is so comical and if they think that anyone might take them seriously especially after the litany of crazy excuses from the past they are deluded and that in its self is funny.

All of these things are part and parcel of all professional sports entertainment. Cycling just airs its dirty laundry in spectacular ways.
Are you saying professional cycling is more like WWE than NFL?
Old 01-20-2018, 07:57 AM

Wiki Tour De France

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalther View Post
Pro cycling is like the WWE in that it has a long history of feigning to be clean and real when in reality it's just a trade show.

The NFL promotes it's self as just that, sports entertainment.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:10 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalther View Post
No, all three are in the same business. WWE is just scripted and the other two not so.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

http://www.velonews.com/2018/01/news...-froome_455126

we'll see..............
Old 01-20-2018, 08:32 AM

Mind Would Be Blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I linked earlier on the thread where Lappartient said that Froome had enough money and lawyers to drag this out for a very long time.

Hoping that Team Sky or Froome himself will take him out is a very big ask. So much is invested in Froome, that money is in the bank now and those who paid want a return.

Team Sky have become the evil empire, never have I read so many people root against a team and rider. One commentator said Froome should expect to get doused liberally with piss from the crowds on the road. I don't condone such behavior and I definitely wouldn't want it to happen to me, tour fans can be the worst. Froome may want to give this all some thought. If this reaches a publically negative crescendo during the tour, he could endanger his own safety by participating.