Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 06-28-2021, 06:52 AM

Saddle index mark-industry standard?

I noticed a couple of the newer saddles I've purchased have index marks stenciled on the rails, different brands (Ergon and Specialized in my case) using the same millimeter graduated stencil.
Do these marking refer to a common feature on saddles, such that if I clamp different brands at say the 21mm mark on the same bike/seatpost on both saddles the intended sweet spot for sit bones will be in same place?
Or, is it the case that markings are reference for that particular saddle make and model only so one can get it back on the bike in a repeatable manner?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2021, 08:40 AM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek 600 View Post
I noticed a couple of the newer saddles I've purchased have index marks stenciled on the rails, different brands (Ergon and Specialized in my case) using the same millimeter graduated stencil.
Do these marking refer to a common feature on saddles, such that if I clamp different brands at say the 21mm mark on the same bike/seatpost on both saddles the intended sweet spot for sit bones will be in same place?
Or, is it the case that markings are reference for that particular saddle make and model only so one can get it back on the bike in a repeatable manner?

Thanks
Markings are for that particular saddle.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek 600 View Post
That's been my understanding of it. That, and it tells you where on the rails is "safe" to clamp.