Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Aren't the Turbo Cottons essentially the same tire as the previous generation of Vittoria Corsa? Definitely should be included if they're recommending against Challenge and Vittoria.
been using Turbo Cottons for years on Enve CC.. no issues. Lucky to get 3k miles out of them.. so they don't last super long anyways, but never noticed anything torn up looking on the bead.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Aren't the Turbo Cottons essentially the same tire as the previous generation of Vittoria Corsa? Definitely should be included if they're recommending against Challenge and Vittoria.
Enve knows Specialized has bigger lawyers.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:51 AM
Everything is connected

If you read Vittoria’s website, it does list the Open Corsa as a “competition/race” tire under the discipline category, but I don’t see any reference to not recommending the tire for every day use.The list in the Cycling Tips article is a bit more specific.

https://www.vittoria.com/us/corsa-competition-race.html

NOT RECOMMENDED

Challenge handmade clinchers (all models)
Vittoria Corsa non-tubeless

RECOMMENDED

Bontrager
Continental
Hutchinson
IRC
Mavic
Maxxis
Panaracer
Pirelli
Schwalbe
Specialized (with the exception of the 28mm-wide S-Works 2Bliss model on the SES AR 4.5 Disc rim)
Tufo
Vittoria (with the exception of the Corsa model mentioned above)
Old 03-09-2019, 06:57 AM
aka RAEKWON

there are so many people that use Vittoria Corsa as your main tire and do not race. I am one of them. They have been great to me, specially the corsa control.. still pretty supple but not as prone to flats.

I agree that this seems to be an enve problem. They are saying other manufacturers have em too, even on alloy rims but until other manufactures come out and say it, it seems like Enve has some work to do.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:14 AM

Same here. I use vittoria corsas exclusively on all my wheelsets with no problems. Sounds like enve is doing some preemptive PR rather then improve the quality control of their manufacturing process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
there are so many people that use Vittoria Corsa as your main tire and do not race. I am one of them. They have been great to me, specially the corsa control.. still pretty supple but not as prone to flats.

I agree that this seems to be an enve problem. They are saying other manufacturers have em too, even on alloy rims but until other manufactures come out and say it, it seems like Enve has some work to do.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:39 AM

Compass/Rene Herse just put a statement saying their tires are safe with carbon rims. Apparently they use polyester for the casing, and have some reinforcement at the casing/bead transition.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/...h-carbon-rims/
Old 03-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Vendor

This is the most stupid thing I have ever read. Things are cut by things that are sharp... in this case, ENVE rims and their molding.

I just put another pair of Vittoria Corsa G+ on my wheels today. I have never, ever seen a wheel "cut" by a rim. Granted I use Zondas and not Enve carbon... but hey... shift the blame. I've used Vittoria "open" tubulars for, what, 15 years?

Whether it's this issue, the experience of builders like Ergott, or reviews of Enve on luescher teknik it appears ENVE has major quality control problems they need to get sorted out.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
This is the most stupid thing I have ever read. Things are cut by things that are sharp... in this case, ENVE rims and their molding.

I just put another pair of Vittoria Corsa G+ on my wheels today. I have never, ever seen a wheel "cut" by a rim. Granted I use Zondas and not Enve carbon... but hey... shift the blame. I've used Vittoria "open" tubulars for, what, 15 years?

Whether it's this issue, the experience of builders like Ergott, or reviews of Enve on luescher teknik it appears ENVE has major quality control problems they need to get sorted out.
The finger pointing by Enve is too much. They bring up Chris Kings name in a poor wheel review and blame them for the price of their wheels. Now its Vittoria Corsa's and not the design/quality control problems with their rims.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:23 PM
v a n i l l a

Is this ENVE "warning" posted on their website? I looked and cannot find it.

Very odd to show up in corners of the internet and not on their main page
Old 03-09-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
The finger pointing by Enve is too much. They bring up Chris Kings name in a poor wheel review and blame them for the price of their wheels. Now its Vittoria Corsa's and not the design/quality control problems with their rims.
Well, at least they learned something from when they had a recall of their road disc forks in 2016: preemptive strike against others before the CPSC holds you responsible.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:33 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post

It seems like there was a press release...

https://roadbikeaction.com/beware-ti...-models-2/amp/

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/enve...cher-failures/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Velo/commen...hers_on_their/

Last edited by rwsaunders; 03-09-2019 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added reddit
Old 03-09-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:

That is very odd indeed! So their *warning* is showing up all over the internet, its even made its way to the reviews section of the Vittoria Open Corsa's on CC, and is not on their own website! Very strange. One can give them props issuing a warning with attendant blow back as they are targeting a very popular tire. But would have to agree, this does come across as ENVE shifting the blame for their own problems. Do they really want to suggest that people get their premium carbon clincher rims at premium prices and then use them with Gatorskins or Rubino tires. Makes no sense.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:40 PM
v a n i l l a

I saw all those but NOT on the Enve site...and they did not take the typical press release format.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
I saw all those but NOT on the Enve site...and they did not take the typical press release format.
This is from the CT article...Enve has released a preliminary list of tires that are either explicitly approved or not approved for its carbon clincher rims, but Nelson and Child are careful to point out that the list is hardly exhaustive — and officially, it’s so far only been communicated to Enve dealers and registered wheel owners (CyclingTips obtained a copy of the email from a dealer).
Old 03-09-2019, 04:16 PM
v a n i l l a

ahh, I got it now...thanks