Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2022, 11:23 AM

My experience with them was very good. They may be a few hundred dollars more for a bike than rock bottom price from the web, but they inspect, service and clean the bikes and you have somewhere to go if the sale isn’t as claimed. It’s worth the extra cost to me.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:57 AM

Bike shops themselves have seemingly abandoned the used market; someone was going to fill the gap.

Is TPC the resource that companies like Trek use to offload their trade-ins? I see that Trek offers bicycle blue book trade-in value, which is about 60% of private party price (which TPC sells at or above). As example according to BBB, a Domane SL7 with MSRP that was ~$6600, will garner trade-in of ~$3600, and BBB indicates private sale expectation would be around $5400

Otherwise, can't say I've heard that there are Trek used bike warehouses where all of their trade-ins can be shopped.

Also seems clear that TPC is becoming a storefront as an authorized seller of new inventory. A look at 2022 offerings shows that of 28 hits, 17 of them seem to be new and warranty-covered Orbeas.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:48 PM

I had a great buying experience.

Sadly I returned the frame I bought since I forgot we were trying to buy a house.

But guess what? House is now bought so it’ll be new bike day soon and I always enjoy checking out TPC’s offerings.
Old 07-15-2022, 03:57 PM

I bought a frame from TPC that shipped clean, was well-packed etc. - no issues - and recently bought some new old-stock Mavic wheels. I've had a good experience with them, and would buy from them again.

I have not had cause to test their customer service, nor have I sold to them.
Old 07-16-2022, 06:06 AM

Someone at the beginning of this thread was defending that price for that bike? Come on man. One of this worst deals I’ve ver seen.
Old 07-16-2022, 06:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime View Post
Someone at the beginning of this thread was defending that price for that bike? Come on man. One of this worst deals I’ve ver seen.
Then don't buy it..easy...
Hard to defend the $ of anything, anywhere. Depends on oh so much. Like...the market...demand, supply, etc.....How about more than sticker of a new Civic for a USED Honda Civic...son saw that more than once about 3 months ago.

How about my 1978 Rolex GMT Master 'worth' more than 200% more than I paid for it....so.......Just like bottom brackets and bike hubs..there are no 'standards'....

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 07-16-2022 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidski View Post
My experience with them was very good. They may be a few hundred dollars more for a bike than rock bottom price from the web, but they inspect, service and clean the bikes and you have somewhere to go if the sale isn’t as claimed. It’s worth the extra cost to me.
Inspection and legitimacy of a business are huge qualifiers in today's market, which largely consists of new and used carbon bikes. I feel like I remember TPC's earliest days as an eBay seller, blowing out parts at No Reserve.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:00 AM

why are some folks getting their chamois in a damp wad over an online bike shop/reseller/whatever they are?

good grief.

sell here or buy here instead.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
why are some folks getting their chamois in a damp wad over an online bike shop/reseller/whatever they are?

good grief.

sell here or buy here instead.
Sell here, buy here, AND complain here. One-stop catharsis!
Old 07-16-2022, 10:50 AM

haha so true.

seriously, i don't understand the agita over online places--ebay, tpc, whatever. so tpc's offer for sellers' precious didn't command what seller thought it was worth? then don't use 'em fer cryin' out loud. and if something's thought to be overpriced on their site that's for sale? ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Sell here, buy here, AND complain here. One-stop catharsis!
Old 07-16-2022, 11:50 AM
Rockstruck

The time value of the option in an offer from TPC goes underrated: they give you an offer and the price is good for x number of days, then if you accept, you have another x days to send it in. But if you decide to sell it locally or on the 'bay at a higher price, you can simply not send the bike in. You're not on the hook, but they are sitting with an obligation for that period, in a fickle market.

The really low hassle factor is valuable too--the zero risk of no-show buyers, non-payers, complainers, etc.

They offered me $1600 for a steel SS hardtail that they sold later for $2500. Couldn't have been faster or easier. But if it's not for you, don't use'em.

As a financial investment?--it maybe reflects the cycling passion of the investors? The business model itself imho is not so great for the level of returns that venture investors need to hit. We'll see.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidski View Post
I think you guys are giving them too much credit. I once talked to a TPC guy asking him what kind of inspection they do. He replied that they only do a visual inspection. I was expecting them to do X-ray and ultrasound and stuff on carbon bikes but no.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
I think you guys are giving them too much credit. I once talked to a TPC guy asking him what kind of inspection they do. He replied that they only do a visual inspection. I was expecting them to do X-ray and ultrasound and stuff on carbon bikes but no.
I’d say your expectations are a bit unrealistic.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I’d say your expectations are a bit unrealistic.
On the Nerd Alert podcast, I believe TPC did say they did more than just a visual inspection. They didn’t disclose methods. They said they partnered with some third party. Given that, and if I remember right, the expectation isn’t entirely unrealistic.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
I talked to a guy who knew a guy, who's brother talked to a guy who worked at TPC and he said they do a non destructive eddy current and dye penetrant examination on every component on the bike plus the frame..THEN, into the bike CAT for final inspection....

Yeegads..TPC has 4 or 5 gen-U-ine bike service stations, VERY well equipped, Gen-U-ine bike wrenches..where they do essentially a complete, $200 or so, tune...and sometimes even a complete take-apart, clean and lube, on bikes that are either leaving or due to be put up for sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ProsClosetTour2021-6.jpg (85.0 KB, 174 views)