Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 10:27 PM

Ebay quandary, looking for suggested solutions

So here is the issue, I purchased a frame on Ebay and it was shipped but did not reach me before I left for a 1.5 month vacation. After 1.5 months, I picked up the frame today and it is not as described.

The frame is perfect, condition wise and very beautiful however the wrong size. The frame was sold and described as "size is 53 cm with a 52 cm top tube" in actuality the seat tube center to center is 51cm and the top tube is 51cm center to center. I normally ride 53 - 54 cm frames and this is quite a bit smaller than all of my other bikes. I realize it has been some time since the frame was sold and sent however not sure I can use it.

I have attempted to contact the seller to let them know the situation however I am not sure what my best plan to solution is from here after 1.5 months, what would you do?

Attempt to return it and get a refund?

Keep the frame, live with the monetary loss and sell to someone who can ride this size frame?

Keep the frame, work towards a partial refund, try it out for size, sell if it doesn’t work out?

Other, that I have not thought of yet?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:35 PM

First congratulations on a 1.5month vacation that is awesome. My feeling is after 30 days (really less) it is of poor form to ask for a refund (I am not saying you are a bad guy). It is the buyer responsibility to inspect the goods in a reasonable time. However, its also poor form to miss represent a frame size.

If I were you, I would send the seller an email explaining your situation. Offer to pay for shipping and offer to provide documentation that you were gone to prove you were gone and not trying to pull a fast one. If he says no. I would eat it and not push too hard.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:52 PM

sounds like

a mistake on your part. Why would you have ok'ed the shipment if you knew you'd be away for 1.5 months? But just because you may have made a mistake does not mean you should not ask the seller if they'd be open to some sort of arrangement. And ebay and paypal have some interesting rules and benefits that may benefit you.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:58 PM
cmg

you can agonize over your options to get a refund through eBay. this will take time and be wonderfully frustrating. or you can sell on eBay yourself. yea, you might lose money but if you do your research you may gain. if your can create your own packaging and don't mind taking it FEDEX/shipper you'll have a better chance of not losing money. if you on the other hand don't want to pack it yourself or take it to shipper and require lots of warranties or guaranties to get anything done you may be disappointed with the outcome. or you can build it with a longer stem and see how the new ride performs , you may be surprised.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:26 PM

eBay's buyer protection policy requires you to file the complaint within 30 days, but Paypal's is 180 days...
Old 09-20-2018, 11:44 PM

This is exactly what 135-14mm stems are for. Seriously, a dilemma here. See what the seller comes back with. I'd chalk it up to experience and sell for a loss, but that's jmo.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:43 AM

Keep it up north and post it for sale here!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:49 AM

Unfortunately, due to the time lapse, I think you're well out of not just any written policies eBay might have but of those of common courtesy.

Resell the frame on eBay and chalk it up to experience.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:07 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
First congratulations on a 1.5month vacation that is awesome. My feeling is after 30 days (really less) it is of poor form to ask for a refund (I am not saying you are a bad guy). It is the buyer responsibility to inspect the goods in a reasonable time. However, its also poor form to miss represent a frame size.

If I were you, I would send the seller an email explaining your situation. Offer to pay for shipping and offer to provide documentation that you were gone to prove you were gone and not trying to pull a fast one. If he says no. I would eat it and not push too hard.
100% this

Talk to the seller and see what he says.

If it was my frame and I had sold it to you I would let you return it.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:07 AM

Depending on the head tube height and set back, you should be able to fit the bike. Typically the smaller sizes have a degree steeper seat tube angle, so assuming you can get your saddle set back enough, a centimeter longer stem may work. I would try it and if it doesn't work, list it for sale.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:31 AM
Administrator

if this is the frame i think it is , you should have no problem cleaning it up posting it with good pictures and description and not losing, potentially making money on it reselling. that's the route i would go.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
So here is the issue, I purchased a frame on Ebay and it was shipped but did not reach me before I left for a 1.5 month vacation. After 1.5 months, I picked up the frame today and it is not as described.
'Not as described' is not as described..regardless of the time frame. I'd explain the situation(vacation) and ask for a refund. The mistake is with the seller, not you. If no soap, I'd let ebay decide....

IMHO, of course.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:59 AM

Probably you can get full refund as the seller described wrong info.

Get touched with seller or ebay resolution center.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
a mistake on your part. Why would you have ok'ed the shipment if you knew you'd be away for 1.5 months? But just because you may have made a mistake does not mean you should not ask the seller if they'd be open to some sort of arrangement. And ebay and paypal have some interesting rules and benefits that may benefit you.
Not to pile on, but it probably would not have been my first choice to buy something that I knew I could not inspect for 1.5 mos. Whatever the case, I think you bear some responsibility and at this point, anything you do is likely to be 'Plan B'. If you can't square it with the seller, sell it and move on. My free advice: worth every penny!

Last edited by OtayBW; 09-21-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:26 AM
bykhed

Just an echo chamber here, but I’d just move on since you didn’t inspect for 1.5 months. Clean it, sell, move on.