Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
and let's be honest.....do you really think a person dropping multiple thousands of dollars on a bike doesn't have some inkling of what a carbon repair looks like?

It may not be aesthetically pleasing, but some people don't care and simply are taking advantage of the deal offered. That said, I do think they should be disclosing more details in the description when there's been a carbon repair.
Yeah, it's just weird to me that they wouldn't say anything about the repair. What was the original damage? Who repaired it? Is there any warranty on the repair?

It's just weird if they're going to describe minor scuffs and scratches that they wouldn't say anything about the massive carbon repair. Just makes me think their processes are not particularly reliable.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:39 AM

It might just speak to how busy they are and it slipped through but yeah that damage and subsequent repair should def. be in the description.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
+1

I get nothing but great service from them.. And found an incredible deal today to burn up my credit. Stay tuned —
I'm trying to think back to yesterday's browsing of TPC to recall if anything jumped out at me for which I should have alerted you... hahaha
Old 08-02-2022, 07:26 PM
Administrator

The Zukas they have listed is pretty cool and priced fairly, but as per usual with custom bikes they have a beyond lazy geometry listing.

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...om-road-bike-m
Old 08-02-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
I'm trying to think back to yesterday's browsing of TPC to recall if anything jumped out at me for which I should have alerted you... hahaha
It’s not something I was expecting but should be a fun diversion.. knobby tires and things that go boing- and it arrives tomorrow!
Old 08-03-2022, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did reach out to Vanilla / Speedvagen, and asked about some insight to the bikes history / fabrication. See below for response from Scott at Speedvagen:

"Thanks for reaching out. I remember this bike well. It was built for someone here in Portland and he used it to commute daily. I don't know if I'd label it as a touring bike, as there is no way to set up front racks. The tubing used is definitely robust enough to carry some weight(panniers were used), but it's not a tank of a bike. It's nimble and pretty quick. 700x28 with fenders is what I recall, and without fenders probably a 32 would work. It has the old long reach shimano brakes on there. Was a 2008 build. He was probably 6'2" or 6'3", so yes, the fit would probably be great for you. I always enjoyed this colorway. It's a really beautiful bike.

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks, Scott"

Very nice of them to respond to my inquire regarding a used bike. That's good enough for me for a city cruiser / commuter, especially since 65% of my commute is through Central Park.

Good idea regarding making an offer, Adam. I'm definitely torn on selling my Waterford, but like you said, it's sitting and would rather see someone enjoy it. I submitted my Waterford to TPC, just to see what they shoot back with, offer wise.

Clean, looking forward to what you snagged at TPC!
Old 08-03-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I usually will send a message saying I am a buyer at X amount of dollars and typically I am met with a counter for X amount plus shipping.
You've done this at the pro's closet?
Old 08-03-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
You've done this at the pro's closet?
To my knowledge, they don't negotiate at all but may offer whatever their current discount code is - $20 off $100, etc. - that gets sent out if you put something in your cart and let it sit..
Old 08-04-2022, 04:33 PM

They passed on my excellent condition 56cm full Dura Ace Di2 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 Project One. The reason was, "Shimano stopped supporting firmware updates for your group set". New this was a 10G bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpbztNT1PM.jpg (113.3 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by BryanE; 08-04-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanE View Post
"Shimano stopped supporting firmware updates for your group set".
LMAO. The bike isn't obsolete because it's steel, or has rim brakes, or clincher tires, or an 8 speed cassette, or downtube shifters, but because the firmware is no longer supported.

World's gone crazy. Or at least the used bicycle world.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
LMAO. The bike isn't obsolete because it's steel, or has rim brakes, or clincher tires, or an 8 speed cassette, or downtube shifters, but because the firmware is no longer supported.

World's gone crazy. Or at least the used bicycle world.
The firmware thing doesn't even make sense. So, it won't be updated ever again? So what, if the last firmware update works, and someone has a copy of it on some server somewhere?
Old 08-04-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
They passed on my excellent condition full Dura Ace Di2 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 Project One. The reason was, "Shimano stopped supporting firmware updates for your group set". New this was a 10G bike.
Well if its a 52 or 54....

But really, it's not about the bikes anymore for Pros Closet as nice as they may be. Once you take that big a chunk of VC money, you're managed to a spreadsheet and certain KPIs which is what we're seeing now. They're honing in the formula like a car dealer for what inventory "turns" quickly enough for them to make decent money on it.

Unfortunately for many of us, rim brakes and anything more than 15 minutes old and not trendy on social media isn't moving anymore in the bike world. Is that 2015 Domane any worse than a 2021 Roubaix S-Works? No, but most people will see rim brakes, and say oh it's old and not good, I need disc so I can get the latest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
The firmware thing doesn't even make sense. So, it won't be updated ever again? So what, if the last firmware update works, and someone has a copy of it on some server somewhere?
I think this is more of a tech thing in general getting passed down by a manger/consultant type to use as an excuse (See VC ownership, and "expert" advisors they bring). In many tech industries, including my day job, when a product goes End of Support from a manufacturer it can bring some risk if a network connected device has some security vulnerabilities found and it's still being used since the manufacturer no longer has an obligation to create a patch and fix. The short of it, it's one say excuse for them to say no to older Di2 and take the risk of something going wrong and Shimano not helping

Last edited by ltwtsculler91; 08-04-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Precisely. People are riding single speed bikes with drop bars turned upside down with no problem. Granted, they're not the type of person that TPC targets, but the bike still works, and Bryan's Domane will, too, even if he has to reinstall the firmware a couple of times.

Have fun with those Win XP bikes.

Full disclosure - I'm still riding a slide rule.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:10 PM
aluminati

Quote:
The reason was, "Shimano stopped supporting firmware updates for your group set".
has to be one of the most ridiculous things i've heard re: not buying a bike
Old 08-04-2022, 08:33 PM

Well they could have said, "It's not you, it's me. This just won't work out."

Quote:
They passed on my excellent condition 56cm full Dura Ace Di2 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 Project One. The reason was, "Shimano stopped supporting firmware updates for your group set". New this was a 10G bike.