Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 AM

See good GCN video on NHABS

Link is below. Watch the bloopers at the end as they are funny. Emma does a good job.

https://youtu.be/HWwxQ0QUJtA
Old 03-17-2019, 07:52 AM

Thanks!

Well done video, looks like an awesome show.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
WELL?

After all that hoopla, anything interesting at the campy booth, other than EPS-12?

Anything new and shiny?
Nope, totally disappointing. totally boring, lots of Italian being spoken.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the photos! Anybody know who won what?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Best in show

haha, i walked up to him Saturday around noon and told him this was the nicest bike in the show easy. and name his price. he still said it wasn't for sale, but thanks for the kind words.

these guys are really nice and helpful too. i can see myself getting one. the 2 at the show i wanted were both spoken for.

Last edited by Mzilliox; 03-17-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Nope, totally disappointing. totally boring, lots of Italian being spoken.
Thanks Matt, and thanks for checking in on the WI rim brake models for me too.

honestly, looking through the photos, i have yet to see anything that really catches my attention.

i have a few ideas for bikes i would like to own, but they are just not in style anymore i guess. oh well, i've got all the bikes i could ever need anyway.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
haha, i walked up to him Saturday around noon and told him this was the nicest bike in the show easy. and name his price. he still said it wasn't for sale, but thanks for the kind words.

these guys are really nice and helpful too. i can see myself getting one. the 2 at the show i wanted were both spoken for.
A well deserved award. These guys kept everything hush hush this year before breaking out these awesome bikes! I was at the local shop right before the show and he said they were unveiling some interesting stuff, but Scott was keeping it a secret.

I think I need some of those fenders for my drifter and I'm going to have to stop by the workshop to see these in person! My Drifter and Great Divide are two of the finest bikes I've ever ridden. Anybody looking for an amazing titanium bicycle should give them a hard look!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Thanks Matt, and thanks for checking in on the WI rim brake models for me too.

honestly, looking through the photos, i have yet to see anything that really catches my attention.

i have a few ideas for bikes i would like to own, but they are just not in style anymore i guess. oh well, i've got all the bikes i could ever need anyway.
I think i am different than most in feeling the same way you feel, but i was even there in person. there were some neat things. the shamrock bike with the triple stays was neat, but id never ever want it.

The mosaic stuff was ridiculous, they painted a bunch of bass boats

Gualzetti was one of my favorites. The Crumpton fat tire was a cool bike, very clean looking, but im not sure it solves any problems for me.

I asked a lot of questions, like why 40mm+ 700c? why front loads instead of rear? Im not sure all of the builders know why except that is what folks seem to want...

Like i said, i spoke with Brad Bingham and the guys at no22 the longest. Not only are those bikes super nice, the owners are approachable, and they actually have solutions for problems. when you talk to them about specifics, they have ideas. I like this in a custom builder. i dont think it should be my job to know all of whats available and possible, i like the artists who can tell me whats possible, and why.

Aarons booth (AR cycles) was really good. if he was in the new builder section, i bet he had a chance to win it.
Caletti was very nice, with great bikes
Hartley was so very good. Her bikes have exquisite attention to details
Simple cycles had some rad gravel bikes that looked tastier than most of the others.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:04 AM

I wish I could’ve made it to the show.

Sounds like this year was my year because I’m interested in a ti 700c bike that can take 40+

My thoughts are:
I already have a road bike
I already have a mountain bike

I want something can bridge gap and be able to do the off-road brevets without being a slug on the road.

Gotta figure out what’s wrong with the pet before I go thinking about bikes though
Old 03-17-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I wish I could’ve made it to the show.

Sounds like this year was my year because I’m interested in a ti 700c bike that can take 40+

My thoughts are:
I already have a road bike
I already have a mountain bike

I want something can bridge gap and be able to do the off-road brevets without being a slug on the road.

Gotta figure out what’s wrong with the pet before I go thinking about bikes though
good news is everyone makes these now. bad news is everyone makes these now, so its hard to choose one!
i want one as well, for a very specific use. I didnt want to compromise, so ill probably go custom with someone who understands the needs
Old 03-17-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
good news is everyone makes these now. bad news is everyone makes these now, so its hard to choose one!
i want one as well, for a very specific use. I didnt want to compromise, so ill probably go custom with someone who understands the needs
Same. I already have my builder picked out and have my build sheet filled out. I just wanted that extra push by going to the show and talking with them and seeing how they do a couple of the small details I was flipping flopping on (internal brake routing) things like that. But the cat is more important than bikes at the moment.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:29 AM

The value of a custom builder is how they can build a bike for YOU. This really was a paint show. Obviously, No. 22 has beautiful welds and they build a great bike but so many others were just getting attention due to the finish. Crazy paint brings in the crowds. You can send any bike to that painter and they’ll do the same.

Unfortunately, my bike got delayed by Colorado weather and didn’t make it. Erik let me know a couple days before the show so maybe I was just in a bummed mood but the show didn’t do much for me. Felt bad for Erik also because he was down a bike for his booth and had to scramble.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:16 AM

Taste is subjective and all that, but I'm not feeling that No 22 at all.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Taste is subjective and all that, but I'm not feeling that No 22 at all.
is it simply the aesthetic?

or the no-nonsense perfect build?

In person this bike was simply tight and together, not just gorgeous.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:

They are great! Really communicative and easy to work with. I can imagine about the demand.. I ordered one last year with a quoted 8-10 weeks lead time, but it ended up being 18 weeks. I can't imagine what their lead time is like now. If NAHBS ends up on the east coast again, I will have to go one year to shake their hands.