Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2018, 08:30 AM

I've been to Collingwood and Creemore but never rode a bicycle that far north.

xlbs post is spot on.......Collingwood has/is changed a lot so you have a clash of cultures.

I used to ride the paved roads around Alliston (New Tecumseth)/Barrie/Newmarket............roads with no paved shoulders. I never had a problem but I was riding solo. But there is more road rage now up in the GTA so I ride the dirt roads in the area. I would note that considering how fast motorists drive out in the country, I doubt serious cyclists are blasting through stop signs.

Cycling appears to be moving towards groups riding in a double "paceline" at all times. Cycling communities are going to have to work with police departments.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I always carry ID. Road ID on wrist, drivers license on a zip-lok with my cash and Health Insurance card.

If there were an accident and there was no one who could ID you, it would be along time before your family knew what had happened.

Also makes it harder for medical help providers if they know nothing about you.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:13 PM

This article is a good summation of what seems to be happening in more and more places. I thought the author did a decent job of presenting different perspectives. One quote by a local really bothered me though:
He noted that the area’s hilly terrain — a magnet for cyclists — is also a safety hazard for cars “forced into the oncoming traffic on blind hilltops as they try to manoeuvre around the slower bikes.”
No, Mr. Burcher, cyclists are absolutely not forcing drivers to make dangerous and illegal passes. Drivers are choosing to put their own and other people's lives in danger because they can't handle the concept of waiting a few extra seconds until it's safe to make the pass.

I see this mindset online quite often and it really ticks me off. There have been many posts on this site as well by riders who encounter drivers who do stupid things because they just can't stand to have a cyclist in front of them for any amount of time.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:20 AM

heres a tv ontario story on cycling in collingwood...

https://tvo.org/video/programs/the-a...in-collingwood
Old 10-13-2018, 07:39 AM

Good feature. I think the members of the Collingwood Cycling Club nailed it.......it's the culture in North America vs Europe.

I found it interesting that the club also adopted two abreast riding.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Cat 6

I imagine that you could pick any group on the road, wait there and look for violations. most cars speed , cyclists roll through lights, etc...
Old 10-13-2018, 08:29 AM

Very intelligent approach.

The big local club around here sometimes is just a huge blob of cyclists...sometimes 4 abreast with no real formation, very frustrating to ride with. I like how Collingwood is so disciplined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2018, 08:51 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
T...
He noted that the area’s hilly terrain — a magnet for cyclists — is also a safety hazard for cars “forced into the oncoming traffic on blind hilltops as they try to manoeuvre around the slower bikes.”
No, Mr. Burcher, cyclists are absolutely not forcing drivers to make dangerous and illegal passes. Drivers are choosing to put their own and other people's lives in danger because they can't handle the concept of waiting a few extra seconds until it's safe to make the pass.
I noticed, and was bothered by this as well...

For the community...change happens....you don't have to like it....do what you can to protect your interests, but please try not to kill anyone.

I am sure the indigenous population felt the same way a couple hundred years ago....