Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 11-20-2018, 07:38 AM

2 part interview on fit

http://jralong.com/2018/11/19/getting-a-fit-from-happy/

http://jralong.com/2018/11/15/workin...appy-freedman/
Old 11-24-2018, 12:50 PM
Princess Sweat

Man, I wish stuff like this didn't read like "sponsored content" on Velonews or CyclingTips. Those 3000 words have about enough weight as a bowl of Kix cereal.

I think the write-up that appeared on Ben Serotta's site is better. (And I'm no Ben fanboy).

https://benserotta.com/2017/06/24/st...tside-the-box/

----

Questions for Happy:

I'd like to know what a fitting from Happy costs.

I'd like to know the breakdown for exercises prescribed. In other words, do 90% of cyclists get prescribed a handful of exercises?

Is there a common problem cyclists *THINK* they have but they really don't? (Or that the root cause is something completely different).

Is there a common problem cyclists don't recognize or think is a problem? (See my q. about prescribed exercises).

What are other fitters getting wrong? ... generally speaking.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:30 AM

Your questions in the order you asked them.
The hospital for special surgery charges $250 for an hour of my work. For a bike fit the hospital charges $500. When you come in for a bike fit we have put together a package with an exercise physiologist and me. The fit starts with a musculoskeletal evaluation by the exercise physiologist. When they are done I do a bike fit using the information ascertained from the evaluation. As a result of that you get to reports one from the physiologist as an Eval that it will be accompanied with a suggested exercise and instructions shop. Detailing observations of the fit corrections we made corrections we can make and sometimes we will draft a new bike completely and much much more.

Exercise
What I see are injured athletes trying to get back in the game. The hospital for special surgery has a program for athletes returning to normal activity we call it return to play. This is for the period between physical therapy and getting somebody back in the lineup. A large proportion of our patients fall into this category they could have hip or knee replacements a fused disc or 2 in the back also fused ankle many other injuries or also falling into this category. My job is to enable them to return to a normal level of activity. we have too cycling and also the patients with or trying to get out and ride bike to do them really rehabilitation in addition I see patients who suffer from severe speed deficit.
Everybody has different needs there is no formula of exercise in the lab because we don’t have a stereotypic athletes coming in for the studies. ankle fusion‘s knee and hip replacements and a variety of other injuries or conditions. Everyone is unique symptoms were trying to treat what the problems are. Sometimes it’s just trying to help him find a workaround for an injury. I see children teens ,adults and geriatric patients who want to ride a bike we see the whole said to tell you I have a few simple exercises that I constantly go back to would be grossly inadequate. New the most common mistake I see on bikes that are phenomenal deal either mail order online or somebody shop. There often size wrong.
The most common problems that people have are an expectation of performance just by buying equipment without doing training to support it.
For me most common problem cyclist has is an inflated sense of ability. Include myself in this group.
As far as what to other fitters go I don’t know that you have to ask them. But I do have an open policy inviting local community fitters to come and observe when patients gave permission to do so.

Last edited by Happy F; 11-26-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:44 PM
Princess Sweat

Thanks Happy!

Ya'll sound like a great resource for folks in the area!
Old 11-27-2018, 11:56 AM
Princess Sweat

Folks,

Happy reached out to me directly yesterday. We had an excellent 40-minute phone call. There's a lot that doesn't come across in print and he's pretty honest about how his ideas have evolved over the past decades.

We spoke a bit about how I tore my hamstrings about 6 years ago and what the local "guru" did to fix it. Without skipping a beat (and without me hinting at it) he was able to identify the result of that "better fit" -- a new strain/injury. I'm not sure if Happy could've solved my problems but I sure wish I had known about him back then.

If you've got some issues and are in his area I'd encourage you to get in contact with him and let him walk you through the process.

Last edited by false_Aest; 11-27-2018 at 12:11 PM.