Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2024, 09:43 PM

New England Trip in Two Weeks - Suggestions?

My wife and I are taking 5 days to get out of town in a couple weeks. We're flying in to Boston and looking for 2 places to get an AirBnB for a few days each. I have never been to VT, so that's high on my list, specific locals/areas to target would be appreciated. What else would be on your bucket list? We won't be bringing bikes, but love to hike, explore small town, find unique tours/experiences etc.

It's a broad ask I know, but anything you got will help narrow it down. Thanks all!
Old 09-26-2024, 09:52 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I'd do either ME or NH and/or VT. If you had more time I'd suggest both, but for five days I'd stick to one or the other.

Lots of options either way. ME has more water features, real islands and nice waterfront towns. NH/VT have plenty of small towns, lakes and hiking. Your choice.

Last edited by Louis; 09-26-2024 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
My wife and I are taking 5 days to get out of town in a couple weeks. We're flying in to Boston and looking for 2 places to get an AirBnB for a few days each. I have never been to VT, so that's high on my list, specific locals/areas to target would be appreciated. What else would be on your bucket list? We won't be bringing bikes, but love to hike, explore small town, find unique tours/experiences etc.

It's a broad ask I know, but anything you got will help narrow it down. Thanks all!
I have a “Vermont obsession.” I would base myself in Middlebury (one of the greatest smaller college towns in the country) and do the two GAP loop rides.
Old 09-26-2024, 10:25 PM
commuter racer

I Went to college in Boston and lived there 10 years but never explored the north shore until recently, The costal towns are beautiful and rich with so much history. I'd check out Salem and Newburyport. The old houses and neighborhoods are pretty amazing. Make sure you get a nice roast beef sandwich.
Old 09-26-2024, 10:43 PM

That will be the height of "leaf-peeping" season so you should make your reservations ASAP. If Fall color is important you can consult online maps that predict where colors will peak when.
Old 09-27-2024, 06:09 AM

Boston, based, NH colleged, Acadia regular visitor.

Louis advice is right re pick one or the other IMO. If you are more interested in NH/VT, you could also consider basing yourself in Woodstock VT. The town itself has several good restaurants, easy access to Hanover NH (Dartmouth) for some museums, art, etc. You might consider a hike up Moosilauk where the outing club maintains a lodge. I agree with prior post that Middlebury also a fun town. I’d say the White Mts (NH) are more rugged but potentially a bit more crowded for day hikes than the Greens. (VT). Lots of opportunities for day hikes that get you up around 4000 feet (high for here) with views. Don’t underestimate the weather.

All of this said the coast of Maine is awesome, you could easily do something like a Portland, Camden, Acadia trip… you’d have good eating, island hopping, terrific Acadia hikes, etc.

PM if you want a little back and forth.
Old 09-27-2024, 06:11 AM

I might suggest a trip through the Franconia Notch (NH) area. Drive the Kanc, hike the Lafayette, Lincoln, Little Haystack loop. Schilling brewery in Littleton.

https://newengland.com/travel/new-ha...foliage-drive/

Drone at our house (not today but you get the idea):
DJI_0207_Original by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191940212@N04/
Old 09-27-2024, 06:14 AM

Green River bridge inn

Might be booked as its prime leaf season…but this place is awesome. Located at the green river bridge/lunch stop for d2r2… right on a beautiful red covered bridge and miles of gravel roads around… not far from Brattleboro which has a few nice restaurants…. Just an awesome spot to hike/bike and spend some time in solitude….and a good spot to explore the pioneer valley from

The owners are awesome and the breakfast is amazing….

Would guess about 3 hours from Boston, southern Vermont….

https://www.greenriverbridgeinn.com/...31106944878158
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1820.jpeg (29.9 KB, 182 views)
Old 09-27-2024, 06:31 AM

in southern NH Gap Mountain is a lovely gentle hike just under two hours away. if you feel more ambitious Mt Monadnock is right there and much more challenging. Both are near Troy NH a very New England town.
Old 09-27-2024, 06:35 AM

Again, leaf peeper season. Crazy, but beautiful in NE.

ME for the coast, northern NH and VT for hiking and travelling country roads.

I'm a fan of the Franconia area as we take our travel trailer there a lot. You've got more hiking than you could ever do with 4K and 5K peaks all over. The Mt Washington area is close and there are enough small towns to poke around in. Stay in Franconia, Sugar Hill, Littleton (biggest town around). Reklis Brewery is in Bethlehem and is one of our favorites for food, beer, and music.

Book now, if you can.
Old 09-27-2024, 07:28 AM

Morrisville VT is a nice little town just outside of Stowe, which is also nice but touristy. Also near Burlington and lake Champlain. Plenty of beautiful hiking. A bit of a drive from Boston though.
Old 09-27-2024, 07:32 AM
Go Sox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
I Went to college in Boston and lived there 10 years but never explored the north shore until recently, The costal towns are beautiful and rich with so much history. I'd check out Salem and Newburyport. The old houses and neighborhoods are pretty amazing. Make sure you get a nice roast beef sandwich.
This is the time of year to stay away from Salem.
Old 09-27-2024, 08:02 AM

From a local, I'd say this is the time of year not to visit. Unless you like crowds and a lot of traffic. But I get it, it's beautiful in early fall.

Most of the quaint small towns like Woodstock VT are going to be fully booked, I'd think. But maybe not. Another lodging idea is to check with ski area rental agencies, like at Killington, Stowe or Sugarbush in VT or Loon Mountain, NH. Lots of options in those places and you will get some nice mountain foliage. Visit other places on day trips.
Old 09-27-2024, 08:02 AM
slower than you

I'd stick to NH and leave Vermont for some other time. You'd be spending most of your fairly short time driving if you tried to do a loop from Boston.
Old 09-27-2024, 08:12 AM

Of course because we’re jaded. We get some of the most $$ from rentals this time of the year. Leaf peepers are bonkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
From a local, I'd say this is the time of year not to visit. Unless you like crowds and a lot of traffic. But I get it, it's beautiful in early fall.

Most of the quaint small towns like Woodstock VT are going to be fully booked, I'd think. But maybe not. Another lodging idea is to check with ski area rental agencies, like at Killington, Stowe or Sugarbush in VT or Loon Mountain, NH. Lots of options in those places and you will get some nice mountain foliage. Visit other places on day trips.