Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2021, 11:55 AM

Campy UT Bearings

FC-SR012 bearings. Does it matter which side goes in or out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64EECAFE-7285-47BE-A5A8-655C1A6C8CD9.jpg (146.0 KB, 150 views)
Old 04-21-2021, 11:57 AM

Install the side where you can see the bearings inwards. So the seals are towards the crankarms. The cups provide seals from the inside (unless you use super record cups which is not great with regular ut bearings as there is no seals on these cups and will shorten lifespan).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK9KkTfzqrc&t=38s

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 04-21-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:50 PM

Actually, I am using Super Record cups, but I picked up the inner seals to add to them.
I’m a bit baffled about these bearings. The SR prefix indicates they are for Super Record cranks (which I am working on). None of the Super Record bearings I’ve seen have the rubber seal. Factory improvement?
BTW purchased new, in sealed box.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:09 PM

I have wondered the same previously as the ceramic bearings used to be white not red. The ones i have new in box are still white but are a couple of years old so maybe they did change the colors.

The link below leads me to believe that there are campy ceramic bearings that are not in white. However they are so much cheaper than they usually cost so im wondering if its a different kind of bearings than the original white ones.

How much did yours cost? I mean all ultra torque bearings would fit and work just fine on super record cranks but they will however be a "downgrade" if they are not ceramic or "lesser ceramic" than original.

Sorry cant be of more help than that.

https://www.totalcycling.com/en/Camp...2/m-23242.aspx
Old 04-21-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I have wondered the same previously as the ceramic bearings used to be white not red. The ones i have new in box are still white but are a couple of years old so maybe they did change the colors.

The link below leads me to believe that there are campy ceramic bearings that are not in white. However they are so much cheaper than they usually cost so im wondering if its a different kind of bearings than the original white ones.

How much did yours cost? I mean all ultra torque bearings would fit and work just fine on super record cranks but they will however be a "downgrade" if they are not ceramic or "lesser ceramic" than original.

Sorry cant be of more help than that.

https://www.totalcycling.com/en/Camp...2/m-23242.aspx
USB vs CULT.

Those look like USB bearings, not CULT. Will still work, but would explain the extra seal.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:28 PM

Campy USA said a running change did happen. He confirmed it by pulling a set from the shelf and looking.
Definitely paid the ceramic price (around $90). At the time, I couldn’t find them here so purchased from UK shop.
The link provided are for Record bearings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C36579B0-E26D-428C-9412-B7053F785465.jpg (87.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 04-21-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
Campy USA said a running change did happen. He confirmed it by pulling a set from the shelf and looking.
Definitely paid the ceramic price (around $90). At the time, I couldn’t find them here so purchased from UK shop.
The link provided are for Record bearings.
90$ would be cheap for CULT mine has a pricetag of around 150 or so if converted to usd.

So what did he confirm that CULT bearings are now sold with red seals instead of white? If one do an image search on the partnumber all pics show white and not red. Bit weird but perhaps there are not a lot of new images so if there was a change of colors it may not be reflected in an image search
Old 04-21-2021, 08:48 PM

Just looked up credit card bill.
Bought from ProBikeKit; price $116.79. Current price $120.99.

Campy just confirmed the ones they have look like the ones I have.
I believe they added a red seal to one side. The white piece is a bearing carrier, not a seal. My old CULT bearings had a white carrier similar to what’s pictured but no seal on the opposite side.
I installed them today. They spin just like the others. Definitely not a USB bearing.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
Actually, I am using Super Record cups, but I picked up the inner seals to add to them.
I’m a bit baffled about these bearings. The SR prefix indicates they are for Super Record cranks (which I am working on). None of the Super Record bearings I’ve seen have the rubber seal. Factory improvement?
BTW purchased new, in sealed box.
Even if USB or Cult, I would still install with grease in cups(and around wavy washer)..Grease is a great 'seal'..