Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 08:14 PM

WAY OT - Ductless mini splits - AC

Hoping to install a ductless mini split (air conditioner with heat pump) in my home. I was planning on having 3 heads (one in each of the 2 bedrooms and a larger one in the dining area). Hoping that the larger head will cool the dining area, the living room and kitchen, and the 2 in the bedrooms will cool the hall and maybe work cool air into the third bedroom. All working off 1 outside compressor.

Any thoughts on what to look out for: best brands, size, pros/cons, etc. etc. or any experiences you wish to share.
Thanking you all in advance.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:19 PM

Couple questions: 1) where do you live and 2) what heating system does your home currently have?
Old 04-20-2021, 08:24 PM

Not sure that three head units will work well off a single heat pump. I know that two will, if set up properly.

We put a split in our new addition along with a heated floor (slabfloor, gets cold in the winter), works great.

Bottom line is, these things are complex, work with an established and reputable firm to have it installed and maintained.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_b View Post
Couple questions: 1) where do you live and 2) what heating system does your home currently have?
Massachusetts - gas heat - forced hot water (baseboard). wont really be using the mini splits for heat - heads are just formatted that way.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Not sure that three head units will work well off a single heat pump. I know that two will, if set up properly.

We put a split in our new addition along with a heated floor (slabfloor, gets cold in the winter), works great.

Bottom line is, these things are complex, work with an established and reputable firm to have it installed and maintained.
Not sure that I was able to accurately describe the system. Outside will be a compressor which will feed the 3 heads. Heads will be place on outside walls.
Lines will be run up the outside of my house and into the attic. This is the type of system I am looking at:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...r-conditioner/

Oh yes - getting quotes from established contractors who are representatives of the brands - Mitsubishi, Fujitsu

Last edited by wc1934; 04-20-2021 at 08:39 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-20-2021, 08:42 PM

I think that any of the major brands should work well for you. I recommend getting multiple, detailed bids from HVAC companies. You'll probably find that each company has a preferred manufacturer.

One concern with ductless mini-splits is how they handle liquid condensate. If you're in western MA humidity might be less of a concern. However, make sure you understand how condensate will be addressed and how you need to check/clean the condensate lines in the future.

Editted to add: That NY Times article provides a good summary.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:42 PM

I've designed many of these systems. Most are Mitsubishi, because they have a wide product range and excellent tech support here in MA. Have used Fujitsu as well. Most important is a good installer. Mitsubishi has a Diamond Dealer program for their top dealers, and if the installation is done by one of them the warranty is longer on some of their equipment.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:49 PM

Check tax rebates. When we lived in MA we had 3 put in that met an Energy Star rating level, got 750 pop for each, plus same amount on our Fed taxes.
At that time multiple head units didn't qualify.

Our Fujitsu main board blew right after warranty went out. Not happy...

Listen to NHAero.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I've designed many of these systems. Most are Mitsubishi, because they have a wide product range and excellent tech support here in MA. Have used Fujitsu as well. Most important is a good installer. Mitsubishi has a Diamond Dealer program for their top dealers, and if the installation is done by one of them the warranty is longer on some of their equipment.
Thanks - quotes from Mitsubishi diamond contractors are about 2K more than elite Fujitsu dealers (if I use diamond or elite, which I plan to do, they both offer 12 year warranty). Do you have a preference -is it like comparing Mercedes to Kia's, or Mercedes to BMW's.
Would you be able to point me towards a good installer?
Quotes have varied as has the equipment specs - some say 9 btus for bedrooms - others 6. Some with 36 condenser - others 24.
But the common thread is they all speak a foreign language to me: heads, btu's, seer etc - hahaha
Old 04-20-2021, 09:10 PM

MassSave rebate

https://www.masssave.com/saving/resi...ng-and-cooling
Old 04-20-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Check tax rebates. When we lived in MA we had 3 put in that met an Energy Star rating level, got 750 pop for each, plus same amount on our Fed taxes.
At that time multiple head units didn't qualify.

Our Fujitsu main board blew right after warranty went out. Not happy...

Listen to NHAero.
yes - mass save has some type of rebate depending upon the system - think $250. Also 0 percent financing - again depending upon the system.
Thanks for fed rebate - didnt think of that. - Ohh not good about the Fujitsu - I am leaning towards them as they are 2K less (cheaper or less expensive is now the new question).

Haha - thanks - you are 2 steps ahead of me - Thanks

Last edited by wc1934; 04-20-2021 at 09:12 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-20-2021, 09:23 PM
I need you cool.

We put in two heads/one compressor a couple years ago....ductwork in house couldn't support central A/C so we went this route.

They have been great...trouble free. We went with the Daikin Emura model. One of the units was going to be in our main family room, and they were the best looking units.

They have worked out great...minimal maintenance (rinse filters a couple times per year). No real change in energy bill.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:04 PM

Panasonic

Our Panasonic system has been fantastic. We used two of their ducted units inside with four ducts running off of each one to heat and cool different sides of our house. My wife wasn’t digging the units mounted on the walls, so I felt lucky to find the ducted units.
https://na.panasonic.com/ca/home-bui...file-cool-heat

Geography changes things greatly, but we also installed solar panels, removed our gas furnace and went to a tankless water heater. Our electric & gas bill is about $20/month in winter and negative all summer. We’re getting to the time of year when the solar panels should cover more than our electricity usage. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how efficient these units are and amazingly quiet.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:29 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I put in a mini split when building a studio
it's great and app to control it is super handy.

for a full home with ducts, i'm considering this unit
https://mrcool.com/mrcool-universal-...-split-system/

still doing research but seems like a great option
Old 04-21-2021, 06:05 AM

If you have multiple indoor units and need to switch often between modes heat/cool I think they suck. In my office we have 5 indoor units running off of 1 outdoor unit and all 5 have to be set on heat or cool - royal pain since a lot of days we need heat in the morning and cool in the afternoon. You will avoid that if just using to cool.