Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
Was it an early Cambium with the natural rubber or the All Weather? My All Weather is fairly slick, and I can move around on it. Its not as comfortable as a B17, but its not a bad compromise for a bike that sees a lot of wet weather.

I have a C13 for my All-Road bike and it works well. For my All-Tarmac bikes I’ve used Fizik Arione R1s for years and love them because they allow me to easily move around depending if I’m in the drops, on the hoods or bar. Occasionally, I notice the C13 being tougher to slide on but it’s not so much that I want a different saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
Was it an early Cambium with the natural rubber or the All Weather? My All Weather is fairly slick, and I can move around on it. Its not as comfortable as a B17, but its not a bad compromise for a bike that sees a lot of wet weather.
It was an early Cambium, the C17 if I remember correctly. I discovered that changing positions required some effort. I worried that my shorts would wear out quickly from the friction. Also, the rivets protruded slightly, and they bothered me.

But I did feel some suspension from the natural rubber.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecycler View Post
I think the OP might have hit on something here, just generally - saddle cover material is something that's seldom talked about. Not just rubbery material, but I've long suspected that one of a leather saddle's less acknowledged advantages is the fact that it's super-smooth, even if it means the ass tends to slide forward.

Concerning that, mind you, I've never been convinced that a leather saddle needs to be set "nose up," but others with more experience tend to disagree. But I reckon even some synthetic saddle cover materials (not just the rubbery ones) can be too grippy - the smoother the better, I think - and padding can effectively make a saddle cover grippy even if it's smooth, if you see what I mean.

Leather saddles don’t need to be nose up Brooks saddles need to be nose up.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:13 PM
DELETE ACCNT

UCI rules regarding nose of saddle to bb
So, the griptape helps his crotch hold the saddle trying to get the max forward TT position.

Everyone not a UCI pro can just properly adjust their saddle if they want to go over the bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i agree with you, i like to be able to move around on my saddle, as with a leather saddle.

that said, wasnt there some pro who would use sandpaper on his saddle to keep from moving? tony martin maybe? i vaguely recall some story about that.

must be a personal preference, or maybe position thing?