Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 04:44 PM

Colnago Master - Fork question

Can a 1-1/8" fork, such as the Star carbon or Force carbon be substituted in place of the traditional 1" Precisa Steel fork?

What needs to be adapted? Just a different headset?

thanks in advance.

The below is the combination I am thinking of (not my photo).

Last edited by JedB; 04-20-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:50 PM
Meh

I don't think so. The head tube is too narrow to fit a 1 1/8" steerer. I believe the photograph is of a bike with a 1" steerer carbon fork.

I think you can find 1" carbon forks on the market that would work. Thought if you ask me it's not really a Master without a Precisa.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:58 PM

1 1/8" steerer is 28.6 mm (actually 30mm at the crown race, but that's below the head tube). ID of head tube is 30mm. For it to even be possible to fit, the walls of the press-in cup, the walls of the headset cup would need to be < 0.7 mm. In actuality, the walls of headset cup are about 1.8mm (Chris King, others may be slightly different).

So, long story short, the head inner diameter isn't larger enough for everything to fit.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedB View Post
Can a 1-1/8" fork, such as the Star carbon or Force carbon be substituted in place of the traditional 1" Precisa Steel fork?
You're asking the wrong question.

The correct question is:

"Where can I find a 1" Star or Force carbon fork?"

All the Force forks were 1" and are compatible with all the older Masters. The older Star carbon forks were also 1" and are compatible with the Masters as well.

I'm running a Star in mine.

And the answer is ebay.

The second question that you need to ask, once you find a candidate fork, is whether the unobtanium proprietary Colnago expanding plug is included. No other plug fits, and you cannot use a star nut on a Star or Force.

If you do find a clean fork without the plug, your only option is to have a nut permanently epoxied into the steering tube by someone who knows what they're doing...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-20-2021, 05:38 PM

Short answer is no and as noted, shop on eBay for the proper 1” fork. If you sell the Precisa you’ll probably break even. I am not a weight weenie anymore; I don’t think you’re getting a lot out of the change in fork, other than losing some weight off the bike. I changed my C40 from aftermarket carbon fork back to a steel Precisa and the bike and I are happier.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:03 PM

Hmmmm, is your Presica steel fork chromed and in good shape? If so, I have a factory Flash carbon fork in great shape that I may be willing to trade.

Feel free to PM me to discuss.

Thanks!

Texbike
Old 04-20-2021, 07:46 PM

@Tex - I sent you a note.

To the others that replied in this thread, thank you. I now know what to look for and the right question(s) to ask.

Also, upon further review, it looks like the fork in the photo I posted above is for a traditional, threaded, headset. I'm also open to that, and am aware that I'd then need to have a quill adapter (to use modern stem/bars) or go very old school, and use a quill-stem and bars.

Great community here. Feel lucky to be here.

Thank you!
jedb
Old 04-21-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedB View Post
@Tex - I sent you a note.

To the others that replied in this thread, thank you. I now know what to look for and the right question(s) to ask.

Also, upon further review, it looks like the fork in the photo I posted above is for a traditional, threaded, headset. I'm also open to that, and am aware that I'd then need to have a quill adapter (to use modern stem/bars) or go very old school, and use a quill-stem and bars.

Great community here. Feel lucky to be here.

Thank you!

jedb

If you’re willing to spend the money you can use an innicycle headset to use threadless stuff