Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 12:35 PM
DELETE ACCNT

The rags tell advertisers what they are publishing and the ones that pay, get featured in the articles.
If Dave Kirk backed up the Specialized Tarmac marketing budget, you bet Kirk bikes would be front and center in every conversation at any rag.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:50 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Ain't a lot of 25 year olds buying $10,000-$15,000 halo bikes.
But they sure want to....and are saving their allowance () so they can...probably have a poster on the ceiling of their bedroom (in their parents basement) of the bike they want.....

I am kidding....I have no idea who the target market is for those bikes....it probably is the 50+ crowd? I would call those "luxury goods" and have a whole 'nuther marketing strategy....
Old 04-20-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
But a lot of 25 year olds parents are. Just tack it on with the rent.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I dunno. Maybe they're buying bikes with their profits from bitcoin, Gamestop, and the like.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:44 PM

The train left a while ago when geo’s went wacky....shorter tt’s, head tubes too tall......

Then disco for road bicycles.

Now way high prices for common stock kit.

Custom baby So many choices for not much more money.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
The problem is Paceline is a bubble. The overwhelming majority of people I see on the road are on carbon bikes and if they’re buying a new bike they want disc brakes because that’s the new standard. Regardless of age.
Yep. When I decided I didn't want to roll the dice on the road with all the distracted drivers, I put my road bikes on my club's social media. One is alum frame/steel fork, the other aluminum frame/carbon fork. Shimano on one and Campy the other, both 10-speed, very nice light wheels on both, Race Face cockpit on one, Cinelli on the other. Granted mostly early-ish 2000's (or thereabouts) technology but well cared for, everything functions great, nice paint jobs still and priced to sell. Would make extremely affordable but light/fast bikes for newer riders or sweet backup rigs for more experienced or serious folks. Or so I thought.

Well guess what? Not full carbon, not disc, no internal cable routing, not 12-speed. People that can barely hold a 15 mph average for 10-15 miles in a group turning up their nose at the old, outdated junk I had on offer. Interestingly, I got more interest from the older crowd who it seemed can appreciate nice construction and a properly tuned drivetrain, regardless of how many speeds or what type of brakes.

The new stuff is trendy, flashy, etc. and that's what most people want.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
What is the "problem" that you are referring to?
The problem people have with new bikes and technology
Old 04-20-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
but I don't think this needs to be a cynical ploy for money by velonews.

Velonews's readers can't all go out and buy a Dave Kirk bike, he just doesn't build enough. So the gear guide focuses on The large brands.
Yes basically what I meant...VN shows what advertisers are selling

True about Kirk bikes or other highly desirable/expensive custom frames but......

IMO... VN does not need to ignore a large portion of their readership nor lose them

As shown many times on these pages there are tons of options used & new many of them are inexpensive,,,, but yes it does not line the pockets of their advertisers

But,, That should not be a problem for VN as at the end of the day their readership also lines their pockets & as customers should be served too

It would be better balanced IMHO to show their readers options do still exist instead of making out that all bikes need to be X,Y or Z
Old 04-20-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
But they sure want to....and are saving their allowance () so they can...probably have a poster on the ceiling of their bedroom (in their parents basement) of the bike they want.....

I am kidding....I have no idea who the target market is for those bikes....it probably is the 50+ crowd? I would call those "luxury goods" and have a whole 'nuther marketing strategy....
Go on a group ride with people that race bikes that’s who the target market is. The average price of a bike at an A ride here is probably at least $4000
Old 04-20-2021, 03:01 PM

Pogacar won the 2020 TdF on rim brakes.

I suspect he'll repeat this summer.

On rim brakes.

velo news will have to cover it. Ha!!!!
Old 04-20-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Go on a group ride with people that race bikes that’s who the target market is. The average price of a bike at an A ride here is probably at least $4000
That's probably more the lower end for most bikes on group rides where I live since that's basically a nice carbon frame with Ultegra and there are quite a few halo bikes (or close to it) on rides here.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:48 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
- back in the day, I remember "The Jerk" making fun of people that rode their "best" bikes while racing....cuz, well you crash when you race. And if you can't afford to replace it, don't race it.

I don't race...don't hang out with people who do. Most bikes I see in these parts are Spesh, Trek, Cervelo, etc.....all easily $4K

The Hampstens, Serottas, Sevens, Pegoretti, or whatever you want to classify as a "halo" bike are usually being ridden by the 50+ crowd....maybe 40+
Old 04-20-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
The Hampstens, Serottas, Sevens, Pegoretti, or whatever you want to classify as a "halo" bike are usually being ridden by the 50+ crowd....maybe 40+
I consider "halo" bikes to be the most expensive mass market bikes. I consider what you listed to be boutique builders whose bikes are ridden by those with the combination of means and good taste, though I say that with the bias of someone who owns multiple Serottas, though none obtained new at full price.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:00 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
I consider "halo" bikes to be the most expensive mass market bikes. I consider what you listed to be boutique builders whose bikes are ridden by those with the combination of means and good taste, though I say that with the bias of someone who owns multiple Serottas, though none obtained new at full price.
Why thank you....

I hear you....I suppose mass market bikes are "halo" for some, but the price gets well over $10K based more on the parts and wheels you hang on it, rather than the frame. Do mass market producers make $7000 frames? I have no idea....I suppose they do cuz I did see that "special" Spesh thread a while ago....yawn.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
More likely 60+ than 40+