Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I agree with Nate Duncan - Blake's best role is as a backup 5 - you can run long stretches with him as the offensive fulcrum while he gets other guys involved and if he's not playing big minutes against Embiid/Towns/Jokic his defensive shortcomings and inability to protect the rim won't be so glaring.

He would fit pretty well into what the Nets are doing offensively, but if I were the Nets, I would be looking for a rim protecting center, someone who could at least put up a modicum of resistance in the playoffs. They are already scoring a billion points/game and that's true even if one of their stars isn't playing. Someone like say, Jarrett Allen? Oh... right.
BTW, just about to finish Shea Serrano’s book. The illustrations are top notch. I enjoy the writing, but didn’t he just rip off Bill Simmons? Who himself ripped off David Foster Wallace?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 900F4C1E-A4E6-4B0B-84B3-41380B84E968.jpeg (75.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 03-06-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
BTW, just about to finish Shea Serrano’s book. The illustrations are top notch. I enjoy the writing, but didn’t he just rip off Bill Simmons? Who himself ripped off David Foster Wallace?
The DFW slander is unbearable.

I like Serrano's writing, but he definitely owes a lot of his conversational style to Simmons, as does every early 2000s sports blogger. I would say Simmons ripped off Klosterman if anyone, but he's not nearly as expansive in his pop culture vocabulary as Chuck.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
The DFW slander is unbearable.

I like Serrano's writing, but he definitely owes a lot of his conversational style to Simmons, as does every early 2000s sports blogger. I would say Simmons ripped off Klosterman if anyone, but he's not nearly as expansive in his pop culture vocabulary as Chuck.
One thing that rankles me about both writers: all the “frat boy” humor. It’s kind of brandishing their “jock” credentials when they’re (admittedly) charter members of the nerd club. I don’t have any problem with that, per say. Many sportswriters fit that description. But all the dick jokes and references get stale pretty quickly.

FWIW, DFW was a very serious tennis player. He was a ranked amateur, I believe. His essays on tennis are outstanding.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:16 PM

Interesting battle heating up over the "face" of the NBA. Seems like change might be imminent. Kyrie Irving is pretty emphatic that the logo honor the Black players who built the league: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kyrie...ilt-the-league.

That seems like the the logical next step. He wants Kobe to face of the league, and that seems to be choice with the most consensus. Kobe wouldn't be my first choice. He wasn't a transformative player either stylistically (Jordan/Curry) or culturally (Iverson).

Here are the top candidates according to gambling odds site BetUS.com.pa.

Bryant +250
Jordan +325
Russell +500
Magic +800
Wilt +800
Bird +1000
Kareem +1500
Shaq +2500
Duncan +2500
LeBron +5000

I think that if the game sought to honor its heritage through one individual, Russell would be the choice. Most championships, consummate teammate, politically active long before most players were comfortable speaking out.

Jordan is the famous basketball player of all time, and he ushered the league into the modern era, so he'd be an obvious choice as well. Ditto with James, who might end up the G.O.A.T.

I love T.D. My favorite player of all time. He's got one of the highest regular season winning percentages in history. But how do you make a flashy logo for "teamwork."

Other choices: Curry should be right up there. Or, they can make the logo the silhouette of the reigning MVP.

Just as long as it's not Shaq.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:24 PM

Tough to make the logo of the league a guy credibly accused of rape, who's own apology about the incident didn't deny it happened, but that they had two different recollections of it.

Kareem would be the more iconic choice, but I don't think he wants it. Which is a big reason why he should be it.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Tough to make the logo of the league a guy credibly accused of rape, who's own apology about the incident didn't deny it happened, but that they had two different recollections of it.

Kareem would be the more iconic choice, but I don't think he wants it. Which is a big reason why he should be it.
Yes. There’s obviously that, too. I’m not sure why that’s being edited out of the current Bryant hagiography.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Yes. There’s obviously that, too. I’m not sure why that’s being edited out of the current Bryant hagiography.
It's an inconvenient fact to the hero narrative, and at odds with the notion that he was, by all seeming appearances, a good dad to his daughters. That narrative is also in no small part due to Bryant himself managing that image in the latter half of his career, and having a lot of close mentor relationships with some current generation players.

He's a complex figure. But yeah, shouldn't be the logo. There's better choices.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:25 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
[Kobe] wasn't a transformative player either stylistically (Jordan/Curry) or culturally (Iverson).
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about Allen Iverson being "culturally transformative"

...unless you're citing him as the proto-touchstone for Gangsta Swagger® amongst NBA players?

And I mean that in all seriousness and respectfully, though I do understand there's an inherent racism in my phrasing it that way. I'm just not sure what other "culture" Iverson brought to pro basketball.

So before I stick my foot even further in my mouth, what did you mean?
Old 04-07-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about Allen Iverson being "culturally transformative"

...unless you're citing him as the proto-touchstone for Gangsta Swagger® amongst NBA players?

And I mean that in all seriousness and respectfully, though I do understand there's an inherent racism in my phrasing it that way. I'm just not sure what other "culture" Iverson brought to pro basketball.

So before I stick my foot even further in my mouth, what did you mean?
Iverson was widely thought of as the NBA's first player from the Hip-Hop Generation. He was widely considered "too Black" by the mainstream media which certainly had a hand in perpetuating the image. Ironically, he was revered by his teammates and involved in the community. Kobe had a much more polished image but was thought of as a prick by many teammates.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:09 PM

Ugh. Jamal Murray. Gutted. I really thought the Nuggets had a chance at the Finals post-Gordon trade with AD/LeBron out for an indeterminate amount of time, one of the LA teams probably not getting out of the first round, and a relatively unproven Jazz and Suns at the top of the WC. And I love(d) their matchup with the Jazz.

I haven't checked the actual numbers on this, but it seems like the Heat, Lakers, Nuggets and Celtics, (i.e. the teams that had the least rest before the start of this season) sure have been hit hard by injuries/time lost to rest, etc. Feels like week 14 of the NFL season now, where everybody is some degree of hurt, and people are just slogging through 3 in 4 nights and 8 in 10 nights. All so the NBA can stay out of the way of an Olympics that may or may not happen this summer, at which no NBA star really wants to play.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:18 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Ugh. Jamal Murray. Gutted. I really thought the Nuggets had a chance at the Finals post-Gordon trade with AD/LeBron out for an indeterminate amount of time, one of the LA teams probably not getting out of the first round, and a relatively unproven Jazz and Suns at the top of the WC. And I love(d) their matchup with the Jazz.

I haven't checked the actual numbers on this, but it seems like the Heat, Lakers, Nuggets and Celtics, (i.e. the teams that had the least rest before the start of this season) sure have been hit hard by injuries/time lost to rest, etc. Feels like week 14 of the NFL season now, where everybody is some degree of hurt, and people are just slogging through 3 in 4 nights and 8 in 10 nights. All so the NBA can stay out of the way of an Olympics that may or may not happen this summer, at which no NBA star really wants to play.

I was watching the game last night. Planted it and at a weird angle. I don't think it changed the course of the game last night given when it happened. But it does suck for Denver.

On a side note... Steph Curry rocked it last night! He just keeps getting more fun to watch.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I was watching the game last night. Planted it and at a weird angle. I don't think it changed the course of the game last night given when it happened. But it does suck for Denver.

On a side note... Steph Curry rocked it last night! He just keeps getting more fun to watch.
I was watching too. Really wanted the W's to keep the lead at 12-15 with 3 minutes to go so Denver would pull their starters. I'm not saying this is why he got hurt, but last night was the end of a 6 games in 8 nights stretch. They look tired.

Steph is fantastic. The Dubs have an interesting offseason ahead too. Is Klay going to come back as Klay, or no. If no, then is it time to address a full rebuild or do they want to continue to pay an insane luxury tax for a team that will be fighting for 7th or 8th? Is James Wiseman going to be worth it? Time to cut bait on Draymond? He's a huge offensive minus right now. People just leaving him to guard 5 on 4.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I was watching too. Really wanted the W's to keep the lead at 12-15 with 3 minutes to go so Denver would pull their starters. I'm not saying this is why he got hurt, but last night was the end of a 6 games in 8 nights stretch. They look tired.

Steph is fantastic. The Dubs have an interesting offseason ahead too. Is Klay going to come back as Klay, or no. If no, then is it time to address a full rebuild or do they want to continue to pay an insane luxury tax for a team that will be fighting for 7th or 8th? Is James Wiseman going to be worth it? Time to cut bait on Draymond? He's a huge offensive minus right now. People just leaving him to guard 5 on 4.
Complicated all the more by the fact Wiseman is now out for an extended stretch so you're not going to get a good look at him for the remainder of the run.

Draymond's game will not age well, whereas Klay might age the best given shooting is what sticks the longest. But a more consistent Wiggins might make Klay a luxury they can't afford, healthy or no. And Curry's 33 with bum ankles just looming out there to go south at some point.

The salad days for the Dubs are long gone now.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:30 PM
Vendor

Quote:

Quote:
Complicated all the more by the fact Wiseman is now out for an extended stretch so you're not going to get a good look at him for the remainder of the run.

Draymond's game will not age well, whereas Klay might age the best given shooting is what sticks the longest. But a more consistent Wiggins might make Klay a luxury they can't afford, healthy or no. And Curry's 33 with bum ankles just looming out there to go south at some point.

Denver looked beat but put up a fight. Glad the Warriors won though. Good game to watch especially give the night for Steph.

The off season, I would love for them to get someone like Magee back. I'm bummed they got rid of him. He was great. And he put up some decent numbers in LA. Iguadola coming back would be amazing. Yes, he's getting older but he's so good. Super smart on the floor. They need a couple veterans to help with the young ones. Wiggins has been good but looks kind of bored when you watch him. If he can fit in longer, great. Hopefully he's ok in the GSW system. Especially after when KD said last year. I wonder how much of that was real or him just venting. Who knows.

Draymond while not putting up huge numbers is still great with rebounds and assists. He had what, 20+ a couple weeks ago? He needs a valium tho cause he's fighting over everything even when he's not involved and he's gonna get the boot more if he doesn't calm down.

I'm not super worried about Steph getting older. He's in great shape and his game is staying pretty consistent. He's putting up MVP numbers. He's #2 in PPG. I think if he can avoid the occasional accident like a 7 footer falling on him again, he'll be ok.

Klay, I think he'll come back and be rusty for a year. It'll bug him huge and he'll never be the same. Which sucks cause those two together were fun to watch.

I think the Dubs could get to the Playoffs a few more times. Winning it all, not sure given the stacking of teams in LA and Brooklyn. Unless the Warriors get 1 or 2 ringers, and unless Klay comes back stronger and better than before, I don't think it'll happen for them.

Last edited by Velocipede; 04-13-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:

The “X” factor is Curry. He’s a revolutionary player, in so many ways. His training regimen is “must see TV” for a fitness junkie and personal trainer such as myself: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M0FwbaLVHpg
The proprioceptive stuff he does is amazing. I’ve borrowed some of those “progressive imbalance” stuff for my clients. One-legged stuff with physio balls, med balls and basketballs in different sequences.

His athleticism is unique in that in doesn’t manifest itself in overt physical cues. LeBron looked like a God the minute he stepped on the court. Curry looked like a 98 pound weakling. But his hand/eye coordination is off the charts. The closest analogy I can think of is Brady. His TB12 stuff is kind of cultish, but the concept of “pliability” has serious merit. Brady doesn’t “look” the part of the GOAT, but he is.

A good, light read on Curry’s continued output: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfc...n-15940903.php

As for the rest of your contentions: all depends on how you define “salad.” If you’re defining the salad as the main meal, complete with Beluga caviar, truffles, and finely aged balsamic vinegar ... then no. But as a pretty good “house salad” for the next several years - enough to keep the Chase regulars satiated - I would think so.