Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
It just keeps getting weirder and weirder all the time.
Agreed 100%. I stopped seriously racing back in 2006 and I just can't keep up with it all. I'm tempted by wireless shifting but honestly I don't ride enough to justify it. I still love the sport though and although I've switch to playing more soccer, I do recovery rides on the trainer multiple times a week. Way easier on the joints and perhaps why I'm still able to run fast ish for 50 years old.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Breaking down the cost of a Dura Ace Chain bundle priced at $235:

Dura ace Chain $ 55
Bag of wax $40
Drip Wax $25
Cleaning Cloth $2

Total $122

The 72 hours in a tumbler and cleaning and applying wax - that extra $100 seems like a lot of money.

I bought a bag of the wax, and it is great, and was not that hard to clean and dip the chains.

I guess if you are lazy and don't want to do the first cleaning, it makes senses, but not really.

Reminds me I need to wax my chain again soon.
It's the cleaning and polishing that makes for that extra $100. Objectively, not worth it for us mere mortals. If you're lazy and you don't want to do the first cleaning, then you're better off buying a chain from MSW direct. They do break their chains in but they don't polish them to the level that Silca is (I realize their additives and friction modifiers are different). Or probably others will come along with broken in chains. I know I've seen one eBay seller, but not sure I'm willing to trust an unknown party like that.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:15 PM

I know Silca is well liked here, but many of their products over the past few years strain credibility. I wonder if they aren't squandering that goodwill.

Last edited by dgauthier; 04-20-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:37 PM

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/04/silc...lished-chains/

Quote:
Portner suggests that wiping the chain (with the supplied microfibre towel) and applying a drop of the supplied Super Secret drip lube to each chain link every 100 km will see the melt-on wax treatment easily last 1,000 km. The suggestion is then to reset the chain in the melt-on wax every 1,000 km and repeat the process. According to Poertner, this method is a relatively low-effort way of maximising efficiency, and that sticking to this routine should see the supplied chain and lubricant bundle last you approximately 25,000 km.
This is very impressive. I usually change my chains every 2,000 to 3,000 miles.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:04 PM

... “hang on guys, need to stop for a few minutes. What?.. no, not a flat. Have to wipe my chain and reapply lube. I’m hyper-miling this sucker.”

At some point, you gotta wonder why go outside at all — one could get the bike dirty!
Old 04-20-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
I know Silca is well liked here, but many of their products over the past few years strain credibility. I wonder if they aren't squandering that goodwill.
How so? I feel like they are one of the most open brands about their products (they explain where they get their tech and their testing procedures pretty thoroughly on their youtube), and their claims get backed up third party testing. The dollars per watt saved may be more than most are interested in spending, but that's a different question. I'm glad they are bringing innovations from other fields into the bike world, and the domestic manufacturing is a nice bonus.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
yikes.

i suppose if you are racing at the very highest level, or really, really need to shave .0001 milliseconds off your TT time, but spending between 250 and 350 for a single chain just seems wasteful on a number of levels.

maybe you could make a nice necklace out of it when it's worn out, certainly you cant just throw out a $350 chain!
Yup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ae3b86c43857c96f670871861865639c.jpg (18.2 KB, 180 views)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
It's the cleaning and polishing that makes for that extra $100. Objectively, not worth it for us mere mortals. If you're lazy and you don't want to do the first cleaning, then you're better off buying a chain from MSW direct. They do break their chains in but they don't polish them to the level that Silca is (I realize their additives and friction modifiers are different). Or probably others will come along with broken in chains. I know I've seen one eBay seller, but not sure I'm willing to trust an unknown party like that.
Agreed, if really want every last watt out of a chain or not mechanically inclined, then the $122 is "reasonable". I did the three bottle clean (2 degreaser, 1 acetone), wipe and dry as suggested by Silca prior to waxing, took about 45 minutes to do three chains then the waxing took another 30 minutes for them. With the exception of polishing the chain, it was dead simple to do and my daughter liked shaking the bottles and helping with the chain from her bike. Likely the only 4 year old with a waxed chain on her bike.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:28 AM

I plan to pick up a dozen or so of these chains and when one gets dirty I'll just throw it out with my cycling cap and install a brand new one.

I think I finally have it all figured out.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:18 AM

So a new chain every 60 miles or So? Your could be set for a couple of weeks!
Old 04-21-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbiker View Post
(...) their claims get backed up third party testing. (...)
Thanks bostonbiker for the info. I'd be interested in seeing that if you have any links to share.

Last edited by dgauthier; 04-21-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Thanks bostonbiker for the info. I'd be interested in seeing that if you have any links to share.
Zero Friction Cycling has an in-depth and standardized testing regimen for testing lubricants: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/

Here is the report for the Super Secret Drip lube: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...-drip-v1.1.pdf

And the indicate in their early reports that the Hot Melt wax and Synergetic drip lubes are top performers: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/l...news-holidays/
Old 04-23-2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbiker View Post
Zero Friction Cycling has an in-depth and standardized testing regimen for testing lubricants: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/

Here is the report for the Super Secret Drip lube: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...-drip-v1.1.pdf

And the indicate in their early reports that the Hot Melt wax and Synergetic drip lubes are top performers: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/l...news-holidays/
That was very nice of you. Thank you, sir!
Old 04-23-2021, 12:38 AM

Thanks to all that added links like Zero Friction (interesting stuff), etc. and to those with firsthand experience.

I asked about the Silca hot wax/drip combo at the shop today and just got groans that waxing was "so labor intensive" --but I think I'm just going to order it online then and try it anyway. Just really curious now. I feel like I spend a fair amount of time cleaning/lubing with oil as it is and would love a quiet and CLEAN chain.

Last edited by bshell; 04-23-2021 at 12:27 PM. Reason: *quiet oops
Old 04-23-2021, 08:55 AM

Silca limited-edition chain lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
Thanks to all that added links like Zero Friction (interesting stuff), etc. and to those with firsthand experience.

I asked about the Silca hot wax/drip combo at the shop today and just got groans that waxing was "so labor intensive" --but I think I'm just going to order it online then and try it anyway. Just really curious now. I feel like I spend a fair amount of time cleaning/lubing with oil as it is and would love a quite and CLEAN chain.

Wax doesn't last very long so you wind up waxing more often. Lots of folks have multiple chains for the same bike and do them all together to save time. The thing about wax is the chain doesn’t get dirty so a lot of folks skip the cleaning step, which is a big time saver.

Last edited by MikeD; 04-23-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Tags
snake oil