Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
The label says 4oz
I believe Josh states on his websites the label amounts are wrong, he just ran out of certain labels.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:05 AM

Yeah; that’s what the label says. I think since they sold out of the actual 4oz sizes in a rapid fashion, there was some opportunity for them to make more but use the same label.

There’s at least 10oz in the one I got.

Quote:
The label says 4oz
Old 05-10-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post

PS I use quick link more than once on my personal bikes.
Me as well, I probably use the same KMC quick link 15-20 times over the life of the chain.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I like a clean bike/chain as much as the next person but I'm just not that OCD

Josh loves what he does and it shows, nothing wrong with any of it. Except maybe the Super Secret but I thinks it's just harmless schtick.

I've been preaching for 30 years about wiping down the chain regularly and keeping it clean and lightly lubed. Works for me.

PS I use quick link more than once on my personal bikes.
Same, wipe chain, rings and derailleur wheels every two to three rides with a towel, maybe three minutes total. Always have a clean chain/drivetrain.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:00 PM

Free shipping on $200 worth of lube would go a long way Silca!!!
Old 05-10-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
When they do chain tests, I think the spread is something like 6 watts from absolute worst to best, or something like that. Its not a difference anyone would be able to 'feel', and even with a power meter on the bike, if you saw you were going same speed at 5 watts less power, you would have no way of knowing if its the chain, or different wind conditions, or 1 of 100 other things. I think we just have to have faith in the testing that has been done.

I'm more interested to hear how it looks, how dirty it gets, after 3 or 4 rides. Does it leave a mess on your drivetrain, etc... Please let us know. Thx!
Actually, I think a lot of us could just barely feel 6 watts. I think I can feel a slight difference with latex tubes vs. butyl, and if I recall right, that should be around 4 watts for both wheels at my weight and power output. In the chain lube test, though, remember that White Lightning Epic Ride is the outlier on the high side. It's 6W or so between White Lightning and the fastest lube, which was probably CeramicSpeed UFO. The expected difference between NFS, which was one of the better lubes, and MSW or the Silca stuff is going to be smaller. I'd bet it's 1-2 watts at their test power (250W?).

But, here's the interesting thing. I don't have 4 rides in yet. However, I wiped off my chain after yesterday's ride. The rag came away with kind of grey stains, and they looked like the stains from regular lube.

I remembered that Josh said on one of the other media outlets (Cyclingtips?) that the tungsten disulfide left a greyish residue. I went and washed the rag in dish soap, and practically all the grey residue came out. That doesn't happen with NFS - I wash the rag every so often, and it's hard to scrub the lube off the rag.

Quote:
The label says 4oz
I just noticed, but my 8oz bottle also has a label that says 4oz.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:56 AM

KMC, YBN, and Wippermann make reusable links, and I've reused single use links as long as the engagement is still stiff.

Last edited by jb_11; 05-11-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:59 PM

Just received my 8 oz bottle today. I plan on fully degreasing and cleaning the chain before application. My motivation is less grime all over the bike. NFS is great but it holds on to debris quite well. I tried the muc-off dry lube and was disappointed. The stuff didn't seem to keep the chain lubed for an entire ride.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjambok View Post
Just received my 8 oz bottle today. I plan on fully degreasing and cleaning the chain before application. My motivation is less grime all over the bike. NFS is great but it holds on to debris quite well. I tried the muc-off dry lube and was disappointed. The stuff didn't seem to keep the chain lubed for an entire ride.
Nice

Per the instructions, you need to clean it 42 times with 26 different solutions and then light it on fire.

Report back please.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:57 PM

Still nothing. Pre shipment label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Things may take longer to ship these days due to an ongoing pandemic of a novel corona virus.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:12 PM

For years been using Mobil 1 5/30, applied with a toothbrush dipped once or twice in the quart then spin chain around a few times.

(I wipe the toothbrush off after each dunk so as to not contaminate the container too much .)

At the current rate, I will finish up the quart in about 18 more years....

Seriously though, it works wonderfully. I stopped buying bike-specific chain lube maybe a decade ago. Seems like I tried just about all of 'em up to that point. One day after cleaning up the bike I saw I was out of whatever chain lube I had at the time (probably Pedro's or prolink) and said what the heck, I'll open up a can of synthetic oil from the shelf for my car. Presto. Been using it ever since.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:42 PM

Package this and a toothbrush and take my money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
For years been using Mobil 1 5/30, applied with a toothbrush dipped once or twice in the quart then spin chain around a few times.

(I wipe the toothbrush off after each dunk so as to not contaminate the container too much .)

At the current rate, I will finish up the quart in about 18 more years....

Seriously though, it works wonderfully. I stopped buying bike-specific chain lube maybe a decade ago. Seems like I tried just about all of 'em up to that point. One day after cleaning up the bike I saw I was out of whatever chain lube I had at the time (probably Pedro's or prolink) and said what the heck, I'll open up a can of synthetic oil from the shelf for my car. Presto. Been using it ever since.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:51 PM

Kinda funny but I bought a travel toothbrush at a CVS (or similar, can't recall where exactly), the smaller kind with a plastic case that the brush and handle goes neatly into. I put that, in turn, in a small ziplock bag for storage. Keeps everything tidy and avoids oil leaking off the bristles and into my toolbox. Have had same brush for, oh, at least a half dozen years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
Package this and a toothbrush and take my money!
Old 05-21-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post

I'm more interested to hear how it looks, how dirty it gets, after 3 or 4 rides. Does it leave a mess on your drivetrain, etc... Please let us know. Thx!
All right, some photos here (too big to post in the thread directly).

Basically, it does leave some blackish gunk on the chain. That wipes off pretty easily. Moreover, it washes out of the cloth a lot easier than petroleum-based lubes would. The first two photos are a rag right after wiping off my chain and pulleys, and then that same rag after being hand-washed with dish detergent for 3 minutes or so.

The next two photos are some residue on the cassette after a few rides. This residue wipes right off very cleanly. I didn't take any shots of the cassette post-wipe.

The chain looks pretty clean after wiping.

For reference, I'm not dipping the chain just yet. In his latest vid, Josh recommended buying the dip container, and topping it off every 200-300 miles or so with drip lube. He reckoned that if you did this, the dip container would last many years, and the drip container would be about a year or so. I can't tell how long the 8oz bottle alone will last me, since it's only been 3 weeks or so.

Prior to applying this lube, I ran my chain through several rounds of the ultrasonic cleaner with Pedro's degreaser 13 mixed with water. I neglected to do my cassette. I did clean the derailer pulleys. In any case, some of the above residue could be attributed to residual oil on the chain.

What do I make of all this? It's just hit me that the cost of this lube is significantly more than MSW. I intend to keep trying this out, and I'll see how long that 8oz bottle lasts. I'm not sure I'm willing to stay with it if I have to pay a big premium over MSW. I can't imagine that it's that much faster than MSW, although we won't know - I don't believe Kerin has the means to measure drivetrain friction directly. Instead, he measures chain wear, on the premise that drivetrain friction and chain wear should be closely correlated.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:43 AM

On sale here
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...ret-chain-lube

Tags
snake oil