Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2021, 12:33 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Pretty happy with the Pacifica PHEV van we got 12/2020. I fill it about every 7 weeks so far, but drive short trips a lot and usually the gas motor sleeps, like most of the time...

My last fill right @ 7 weeks took 10.2 gallons, previous fill 13.5, the low fuel warnings had come on. sez it has 16.5 gal tank.

If one searches my threads I go on and on about it and updates on the initial thread I started after procurement.

Last edited by robt57; 04-21-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:10 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Yes...you guys are correct, my setup is nice quality set of mounts bolted to a heavy piece of wood.
I carefully run bungee cords to provide additional stability just to ensure the bicycles stay upright.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:01 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Yes...you guys are correct, my setup is nice quality set of mounts bolted to a heavy piece of wood.
I carefully run bungee cords to provide additional stability just to ensure the bicycles stay upright.
Have you ever seen foam covered twist-ties?

I have used these to secure bikes on my old Saris Bones rack...and since they are not elastic, there is no sway so everything stays nice and separated.

They come in different lengths...I have a couple that are 36"
Old 04-22-2021, 06:53 AM

AWD Sienna

Storage - win
Seating - win (3rd row stows flush, pre2021 2nd row removeable)
Towing - not a win, but 3500lbs is decent
Mileage - for AWD I average 20mpg mixed driving

And its a Toyota, so expect 200,000-300,000 miles without issue

To all the 'soccer mom' commenters/haters, I extend the middle finger as I load all of the bikes inside upright.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:20 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Lightbulb

I have said practically forever a minivan represents pretty much the ideal cycling-specific vehicle.
It unfortunately is not my cup of tea for my life when bicycles are not immediately involved.

Maybe the trick is to get a modest-sized car and a well-used "clunker" minivan for hauling bicycles when needed.
Hmmmm...my thinking cap goes back on.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I have said practically forever a minivan represents pretty much the ideal cycling-specific vehicle.
It unfortunately is not my cup of tea for my life when bicycles are not immediately involved.

Maybe the trick is to get a modest-sized car and a well-used "clunker" minivan for hauling bicycles when needed.
Check out the new Kia Carnival - is it a minivan or SUV? Luxury interior to with rear captain chairs that layback like 1st class airline seats.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...cid=uxbndlbing

Last edited by veloduffer; 04-23-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:

While I do use mine as my 'daily driver', I don't love it for that. It is primarily our 'adventure delivery' platform. I'm planning on outfitting it as a microRV this summer to further facilitate the adventuring.

I bought my 2013 Sienna XLE AWD with 80,000 miles for under $15 grand right before COVID hit (Jan 2020.) They are few and far between. After a year and few months, I've put 32,000 miles on it and could probably sell it for what I paid. The used minivan market is crazy.

Gen II Sienna's are out there still going strong. Many people put 300,000 miles on them. But with anything used, it's the devil you don't know.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
Check out the new Kia Carnival - is it a minivan or SUV? Luxury interior to with rear captain chairs that layback like 1st class airline seats.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...cid=uxbndlbing

Wow having had two Chrysler minivans that Kia looks like the best of a minivan and a suv. I will definitely check it out.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:21 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
Wow having had two Chrysler minivans that Kia looks like the best of a minivan and a suv. I will definitely check it out.
Unfortunately, no AWD. Yet, anyway. Iā€™m hoping AWD and PHEV version will hit soon. To replace our Sienna
Old 04-23-2021, 10:29 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbhidy View Post
Storage - win
Seating - win (3rd row stows flush, pre2021 2nd row removeable)
Towing - not a win, but 3500lbs is decent
Mileage - for AWD I average 20mpg mixed driving

And its a Toyota, so expect 200,000-300,000 miles without issue

To all the 'soccer mom' commenters/haters, I extend the middle finger as I load all of the bikes inside upright.
If I remember correctly, when I was buying my ā€˜17 Sienna, the manual specifically stated no towing. The only AWD trim with towing capacity was the LE trim.

Ok, found the brochure:
https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/b...017-sienna.pdf
Old 04-23-2021, 12:29 PM

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/suba...y-its-best-yet

Subaru's very latest 2.4 Turbo engine explained. Comes in 2020 and up models. Would think any problems with older designs would be engineered out by now. I would not be afraid to buy a new Outback Turbo model. Like the Touring XT.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:57 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Smile

If silly third-row seating is removable in that new Kia Carnival it could certainly be a great pre-adventure vehicle for cyclists.
One could arrive at a cycling event the night prior, put a sleeping bag atop the reclining seats, and awaken right at the start.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Over the years, I have found Paceliners to provide sound advice and great recommendations on things way beyond just cycling. So hoping to tap into that great wisdom for some advice on what car to buy.

Looking to buy either new, or newly used. I have been a fan of buying cars around 2 years old or newer and less than 20k.

Needs aren't extensive:
Haul 4 adults, gear, and hitch rack for 4 bikes.
Budget isn't unlimited, but this will probably be the most expensive car I have ever bought.

Wants get a little longer:
Some moderate level of comfort/dipping a toe into luxury. I have found I like heated leather seats, for example. I don't need the latest driver assist do-dads though.
Decent gas mileage is a plus
Reliability - usually hold on to a car for 10 years or so.
Fun to drive. The more it handles like a car the better.

Cars I am interested in:
Toyota Highlander
BMW X3
Mazda CX-9

Cars on my long list, but don't make the top include:
Subaru Outback
2017 Honda CRV - These two fit all criteria, but seem too pedestrian. Vanity sucks
Honda Pilot - just don't love the styling

What am I missing, what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

If you want the most reliable vehicle for the long haul and the cheapest to maintain and repair then get the Toyota; but if you want style points and don't mind paying for the most expensive maintenance and repairs of any manufacture then get the BMW. The Mazda is only just a tad above average in reliability while the BMW is below average while the Toyota is way above average.

Subaru is a sneaking little pest of a car and here's why, this is something that the dealer will never tell you. But the AWD system is very particular about the size of tires you put on, if you wear out the tires to more than 4/32nds from new and then destroy a tire you have to buy ALL new tires, you can't replace just one because the size difference between the new one and the old ones will burn out your AWD, which is why it's not good to buy a used Subaru because you don't know if the other owner knew that or not. On top of that it is highly recommended that you get your tires rotated twice as often as you get oil changes! This is so you keep the tread wear as close to equal as possible. Subaru also has the second worse CVT transmission on the market with an average life of about 70,000 miles, Nissan is the worst at around 60,000 miles.

Speaking of CVT transmissions...STAY far away from those, even the best one made by Toyota does not last as long as their regular automatics, and they will cost you on average about $6,500 to rebuild, yes they promise an extra mile or two per gallon but you will never save enough difference in fuel to pay for the cost of the CVT repair!

So get the Highlander, you'll be glad you did. Toyota highlander does have a hybrid, but that thing uses the CVT, so I would stay away from it. Plus the hybrid cost another $4 or $5,000, that's a lot fuel you can buy by not getting the hybrid.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
If I remember correctly, when I was buying my ā€˜17 Sienna, the manual specifically stated no towing. The only AWD trim with towing capacity was the LE trim.

Ok, found the brochure:
https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/b...017-sienna.pdf

2017 has a different transmission than the earlier gen 3 siennas I believe. My 2013 has no such exclusions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2021, 07:02 PM

We've had Toyota hybrid drivetrains since 2004, never heard of CVT issue - guess I will have to go out and tell my wife's car